Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Excellent! I think it makes it more likely that this is hopefully not a mistake and that we'll both be enjoying the new service on our Californian flights next months!! ^
At least on a12 hour flight you can be fairly certain they will finish the meal service before landing :-)
adrianlondon and ChrisMcP like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Raffles
At least on a12 hour flight you can be fairly certain they will finish the meal service before landing :-)
I've read the complaints here, but to be honest, having now experienced the new concept several times on my JFK flights, the meal service was always completed in reasonable time. Sure, it takes slightly longer than before but to me it almost felt shorter because the much better food and larger portions meant that I spent far more of the time actually eating as opposed to idly waiting for a partially eaten plate to be collected. Part of the time is also due to dishes being more appetising so that people actually consider what to choose. So if it worked well to/from JFK I'm reasonably confident it will work ok to/from LAX!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I flew on the 294 in 62A from ORD to LHR with the new service last week. 'Coming over from' another airline, all I can say is wow, with regard to the food.

UD was completely full with two very young and moderately energetic crew. The service was not as polished, but they were trying hard. Jackets were offered to be taken, kits and water bottles were distributed by hand individually, before PDB were presented on a tray. Menus were then distributed although only 62K got greeted by last name (very loudly). Breakfast card was collected but not in a proactive way as we taxied out.

After takeoff, one FA took orders (hopping across the cabin - I assume my emerald status yielded me 0 CIV, nor any greetings by name) for cocktails and mains at once. By my turn the beef (mistakenly printed as lamb on the menu - had to ask to find out, as she just said "would you want fish or the pasta") was out and I was told starters would be presented on a trolley so no orders taken for that.

Got my cocktail and nibbles 45 minutes after wheels up, and another 20 minutes later she came back delivering the tartare starter...and said "oh, you wanted soup??"
I got my soup 2 minutes later, but if it were on the main deck there wouldn't have been space to place both appetizers at the same time.
Collection was swift and the rest of the service flowed more quickly, although there weren't any drink top ups. Desserts were limited to one choice at first, "as everyone wants to eat." "I'll check again later" and I did end up getting my cheese and cake. Lights out 2 hours after wheels up, not on again until the breakfast tray hit at around 55 minutes before touchdown.
My breakfast card indication of juice and smoothie was ignored as apparently provisioning was for not either but either or when it comes to juices and smoothies for the breakfast service.

Despite my seemingly negative portrayal of the service delivery, I did manage to chitchat a bit with the young lady working UD, who was concerned if I enjoyed the new service (to which I affirmed), and it was only the 2nd run for them as well after the outbound coming into ORD. She was apologetic for "showing us how many extra calories she had to burn". I think she mentioned something to the effect of having to (being required to?) finish the service in 2 hours after takeoff on this abbreviated eastbound service, hence she was sorry that although they were trained to provide a more personalized level of attention and service with this new concept, "it seemed to have gone the other way tonight". She genuinely appreciated my feedback for which I was happy about.

Back to the food itself. Granted that my flying on BA is really limited to 1-2 longhauls in CW (or Y...) every year, I was quite impressed with the offerings. I'm not sure if DO&CO catering this outstation comes into the equation, but it certainly was a lot more and further than the notion mentioned above of old slop in new plates. The taste, presentation and variety were beyond my expectations and I found it very satisfying. The soup, in particular, was tasty and served piping hot. The breakfast panini was also excellent and filling. I really have no complaints except for perhaps a better delivery, but I'm very confident given the response of my crew.

This is comparing to my regular carrier otherwise known as CX (which also uses DO&CO out of ORD, and ORD is known to be one of the best of their outstations for food) and I found BA on this flight to be several steps above, even more if you consider what CX offers (or fails to offer) on redeye flights of similar duration (i.e. MLE/CMB/DXB to HKG, JFK-YVR...etc). I do miss the over-over-the-top attention I get on CX as their own emerald, but the food on BA this time round more than makes up for that.

Pictures below (on my personal non-commercial instagram account):
instagram.com/p/BfZ9-0mHl-1/?taken-by=cxcarbonbon
instagram.com/p/BfcaGFTHHMm/?taken-by=cxcarbonbon
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:25 am

It is looking great.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:38 am

Flew to HKG on BA0031 last night

I haven't flown on a long segment on BA in Club for a long time but have made several trips to the FE and US recently on other airlines so a reasonable basis for comparison

I liked the new bedding, the pillow and blankets are great, felt like good quality products

Positives

The new pillow is great, the most comfortable sleep i have ever had on a plane in J or F, makes sleeping on your side possible and comfortable
The food was great, other than Emirates in F probably the nicest meal i have had on a flight, especially the steak and breakfast options

Negatives

Slow service, around 45 min before a drink order was taken, probably an hour and a half for food, skipped dessert and went to sleep in the end
The mattress topper is useless
The big pillow when you aren't sleeping, not a lot of space for it other than the bins and that means a lot of stepping over people

I paid £1400 for an AMS - LHR - HKG - BKK - SIN - LHR - AMS holiday and thought this was excellent value, take off the 38k or so avios and the net price is around £1k, similar to Qatar at their cheapest with more flexible options and the short hops 'free'

Other than a few small first world problems i'd put the overall experience on a par with Qatar, above Finnair and China Southern and maybe slightly behind Emirates

Big thumbs up really
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
My breakfast card indication of juice and smoothie was ignored as apparently provisioning was for not either but either or when it comes to juices and smoothies for the breakfast service.
Yes how dare you ask for Juice AND a smoothie. I mean, you're only paying several thousand pounds for this flight. So ridiculous!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:26 pm

New club menu out of YYZ and ... heaven forbid ... it is a BA flight without an overcooked beef main course!

Quite taken with the idea of the saltimbocca but I intend to sleep.

Nice to have the JFK style breakfast card though. No new bedding though.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:50 pm

New bedding spotted on LHR-DXB last night. This is like a safari.
mikeyfly and TFFT like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Transforming Club World catering and
service will launch on the following routes both outbound and
inbound on 01 March: LAX, SAN, SFO, SJC, LAS, PHX.

The White Company Bedding will launch on the following routes both
outbound and inbound on 07 March: LAS, PHX, MIA, DEN, YVR, CPT, ACC,
NBO.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:20 am

Enhancements coming to Gatwick routes in 2021?
williamn78 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Last week the new service was on the Houston-Heathrow flight.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you

NBO.
whats the chances Of Muscat getting it by late May? Could just be alright for that one depending how quick future roll outs are.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s anyones guess.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bmibaby737

whats the chances Of Muscat getting it by late May? Could just be alright for that one depending how quick future roll outs are.
What are the chances for TLV getting it by September?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you

NBO.
Thanks! Confirms what some of us were hoping for based on our March menus - yippee! ^

One thing I aren't too clear about is that LAS and PHX are on both lists, does it mean that "catering and service" does not include the new bedding? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.