Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: too many
To add fuel to the fire, it wouldn't surprise me if BA did prioritise the 2-4-1s for downgrades, as the system in the background would be more than capable of doing so...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So why, on that basis, would anyone reignite a thread which had been dormant for 6 weeks - given the speed with which these things end up unseen at page 15 - and cause potential further speculation plus anxiety for likely no reason?
Because I asked the question on here 6 weeks ago, and it hasn't been answered by BA. The failure to answer the question is what gives rise to the uncertainty. It continues to be a live issue. FT'ers can judge for themselves whether this is something they need to worry about or not.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
.... It continues to be a live issue. FT'ers can judge for themselves whether this is something they need to worry about or not.
I am slightly worried about a 2-4-1 in F I have on New Years Day, which went from an empty cabin to an almost full several weeks after I booked in a short time. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get to full / overbooked shortly which will leave me, in my opinion, at risk
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Why would BA bother trying to find volunteers when they can just downgrade with impunity? It seems not worth the bother to do anything else.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
I have booked 6 seats in F to JNB in November as a treat for some friends - 4 Avios tickets using 2x241, 1 OnBusiness ticket and my own, which is a revenue ticket. Flights outbound and return are both full in F, so I guess there is a chance of a downgrade, but it's not really worth worrying about. Given that 4 of the group are flying F for the first time, if the worst comes to the worst I'll take the downgrade myself, but, let's be honest, the chances are pretty slim. The best advice here is to make your bookings then sit back and relax. You can't influence what's going to happen and there's enough information on here to help you make the best of the situation if the worst does happen.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I have booked 6 seats in F to JNB in November as a treat for some friends - 4 Avios tickets using 2x241, 1 OnBusiness ticket and my own, which is a revenue ticket. Flights outbound and return are both full in F, so I guess there is a chance of a downgrade, but it's not really worth worrying about. Given that 4 of the group are flying F for the first time, if the worst comes to the worst I'll take the downgrade myself, but, let's be honest, the chances are pretty slim. The best advice here is to make your bookings then sit back and relax. You can't influence what's going to happen and there's enough information on here to help you make the best of the situation if the worst does happen.
Sound advice FM
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Having seen you being smooth with people and DanielBK, the very least you would get as a downgrade is the co-captains seat... especially after your chat with Sr Cruz
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Because I asked the question on here 6 weeks ago, and it hasn't been answered by BA. The failure to answer the question is what gives rise to the uncertainty. It continues to be a live issue. FT'ers can judge for themselves whether this is something they need to worry about or not.
Seriously why would BA get involved with a speculative thread on an internet chat room?

Where would you expect this to end? BA should answer every question about everything? On every Internet forum and social media?

A bit naive I would suggest.
NickB likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by simons1
Seriously why would BA get involved with a speculative thread on an internet chat room?

Where would you expect this to end? BA should answer every question about everything? On every Internet forum and social media?

They've answered this sort of question in the past. However, there doesn't seem to be the same level of involvement on FT these days.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They've answered this sort of question in the past. However, there doesn't seem to be the same level of involvement on FT these days.
Maybe factual things needing clarification. But I sense this thread is more speculative and I doubt BA will want to add to the speculation about an issue that seems very small scale.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: too many
Based on what I've seen behind the scenes during my previous job I could give you a definite answer but it would land me into muddy waters...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ng1265
Based on what I've seen behind the scenes during my previous job I could give you a definite answer but it would land me into muddy waters...
Ooh, go on - be a devil
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:36 am

To add fuel to the fire, it wouldn't surprise me if BA did prioritise the 2-4-1s for downgrades, as the system in the background would be more than capable of doing so...

Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:43 am

Because BA has had a presence on this forum at least 10 years, and continues to monitor it closely. And because the thread refers to an article on one of the UK's most influential and (and now award winning) travel blogs, whose journalists are invited by BA to BA events. And because between FT and HFP thousands of BA's and Amex's customers are reading this story, and thinking "I wonder if there's anything in this?".

It's rather naive to think BA doesn't have a social media strategy, and isn't aware of what is being said.

Maybe factual things needing clarification. But I sense this thread is more speculative and I doubt BA will want to add to the speculation about an issue that seems very small scale.
By not responding BA adds to the speculation. By responding BA could end it.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA may not be able to respond in the negative to the accusation that they deliberately downgrade 2-4-1 customers when they don't control all their outstation staff properly. There are plenty of accounts of station managers in some places who believe that 2-4-1 and Avoid customers are inferior to cash customers and openly treat them worse.

BA could state they do not do this, to be followed soon after by another incident of a customer downgraded "because you didn't really pay for your ticket" from the Middle East or another place.

That would only further confirm, in the mind of suspicious customers, that they are duplicitous and inconsistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.