Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ned1968
"Nonsense"..."You really should limit your advice/assertions to areas where you have knowledge. This statement is misleading"

This language and tone suggests more than just challenging an assertion - perhaps it's just an approach that is more adversarial and confrontational than most of us non-lawyers would take in a friendly discussion. Ambassadors are usually more diplomatic :-)
LOL Ned1968, I guess you have had the good fortune never to be embroiled in legislation where counsel are going at it hammer and tongs If NatGeo made a film of some proceedings, the title would be "When Lawyers Attack"

I value Tobias-UK's contributions here because (in general, and on points of law in particular) he is crisp and direct and gives all the signs of being a man who knows what he's talking about. Those quotes are politeness squared by comparison with some things lawyers say !!
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ned1968
"Nonsense"..."You really should limit your advice/assertions to areas where you have knowledge. This statement is misleading"

This language and tone suggests more than just challenging an assertion - perhaps it's just an approach that is more adversarial and confrontational than most of us non-lawyers would take in a friendly discussion. Ambassadors are usually more diplomatic :-)
And I stand by both those posts. The assertions made in the two posts I responded to are either misleading or wrong. I’m sorry you find my comments adversarial, but journalists should really get their facts right before publishing - especially when they may be misadvising their readers about potential legal rights and remedies.
PJSMITH0 likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Oct 14, 2017 at 11:23 am Reason: Fat fingers
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Fitch
LOL Ned1968, I guess you have had the good fortune never to be embroiled in legislation where counsel are going at it hammer and tongs If NatGeo made a film of some proceedings, the title would be "When Lawyers Attack"

I value Tobias-UK's contributions here because (in general, and on points of law in particular) he is crisp and direct and gives all the signs of being a man who knows what he's talking about. Those quotes are politeness squared by comparison with some things lawyers say !!
Hahahaha - ain’t that the truth! And when proceedings are done those same lawyers will likely enjoy a drink together at the nearest watering hole.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:33 am

As you can tell, IANAL for "legislation" read "litigation" throughout ...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Fitch
As you can tell, IANAL for "legislation" read "litigation" throughout ...
I did in fact read your post mutatis mutandis
Calchas likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I did in fact read your post mutatis mutandis
But ceteris paribus, do you think that de facto it met the standard for consensus ad idem given that in haec verba most obiter dicta are intra rusticos, in re nothing very much and while given in bona fides, nonetheless nihil ad rem... ?

After all, the motto of FT should probably be de minimis curamos
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by Fitch; Oct 14, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:52 pm

DELETED ... alcohol-induced double posting !!!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
And I stand by both those posts. The assertions made in the two posts I responded to are either misleading or wrong. I’m sorry you find my comments adversarial, but journalists should really get their facts right before publishing - especially when they may be misadvising their readers about potential legal rights and remedies.
Journalists on FT, here, blogs ?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Another of my regular readers was downgraded on the HK flight tonight. He was expecting it as he couldn't OLCI and contacted me last night to say it was coming.

Usual story: booked on a 241. His wife (it was her voucher) has got on, he (on the voucher, no EU261 due) was downgraded to PE.

Here is the best bit. BA IS STILL SELLING CW TICKETS for both the HK flights tonight, including his at 18.40, if you're willing to pay the full J price. The 9.45pm also has F available for cash.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Ah but:

This still doesn't prove FLY is targeting companion vouchers though does it? There are potentially several downgrades at day by BA (in the context of several thousand passengers). 😂😉
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Raffles
Another of my regular readers was downgraded on the HK flight tonight. He was expecting it as he couldn't OLCI and contacted me last night to say it was coming.

Usual story: booked on a 241. His wife (it was her voucher) has got on, he (on the voucher, no EU261 due) was downgraded to PE.

Here is the best bit. BA IS STILL SELLING CW TICKETS for both the HK flights tonight, including his at 18.40, if you're willing to pay the full J price. The 9.45pm also has F available for cash.
If BA sells one of those J tickets, I'll bet his wife will be joining him in coach unless there's another 2-4-1 voucher passenger on the flight.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold

Has it been confirmed that no EU261 is due for a companion voucher downgrade? I was under the impression that BA were trying to make everyone believe that, but without much legal (never mind moral!) justification.

I guess ex-HKG there won't be any co-payment to argue over.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:23 am

You are doing your readers a disservice by continually saying this. You should be advising them to take legal advice on their rights and remedies instead of misinforming them.
HMPS likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You are doing your readers a disservice by continually saying this. You should be advising them to take legal advice on their rights and remedies instead of misinforming them.
BA will pay up, as you know - but only when forced to by a court or CEDR arbitration and after the individual has signed a non-disclosure agreement.

If you know anyone on a 241 (the companion half) who was paid EU261 by BA automatically, without any discussion, then I'd be keen to speak to them!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
If I ordered and paid for a new Rolls Royce and the garage gave me a Skoda, it would be completely unacceptable and the garage would face a lawsuit.

Why is the fact that paying with Avios and a voucher is treated with such contempt? BA cannot argue that the ticket was technically free. It wasn't. Avios is effectively currency and should carry the same weight legally as cash.

I'm a leisure traveller who uses every trick in the book to earn Amex vouchers and Avios, but after reading so many stories of BA treating their Avios customers with contempt that I can't be bothered to use my vouchers any more and will use my 500k Avios on Cathay exAMS where the taxes are 90% less than exLHR and the J product is light years ahead of the dross that BA dares to call business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.