Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 241 downgrade story - from F - with no [EC261] compo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I agree it would be mad if BA not to do it that way. If only to disappoint passengers as little as possible as opposed to just financial gain.

Flying on a 2-4-1, I would be far less annoyed to be downgraded than if I'd paid for a ticket or on a straight redemption.

Compensation seems reasonable to me too
I'd be fuming if I was on a 2-4-1, knowing that I'd lost the voucher *and* been downgraded. And now it seems BA won't pay EU261 compensation without a fight.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
With comp, you should be compensated so if you were to fly again, you’d already be 75% of the way there. With 241 you’d be 0% of the way there if the voucher is not refunded or 100% if it is. So BA must either refund the voucher or allow a traveller to be 75% of the way to travelling there again through another means (Avios or Cash), simples.

That’s why the regulator is siding with passengers, no particular bias this time, just that BAs stance is wrong.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Raffles doesn't have to prove anything. The playground taunt of "you can't prove it" is the weakest defence of BA's position imaginable. He has set out the experience of several BA passengers. BA, who are very familiar with FT, can tell us at any time that this is not the case. BA cannot lie about this issue, so its assurance would settle the matter. Curiously it has chosen not to. Readers of this board, and of Raffles's excellent blog can draw their own conclusions.
Doesn't he? He is the one asserting companion vouchers are targeted for downgrades - the result of which is many people posting on this board worried that they are going to get downgraded and expecting that to happen. He is doing more than merely presenting the experience of several passengers.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by KARFA
Doesn't he? He is the one asserting companion vouchers are targeted for downgrades - the result of which is many people posting on this board worried that they are going to get downgraded and expecting that to happen. He is doing more than merely presenting the experience of several passengers.
To me, you make it sound like he's doing it nefariously. Which, for me, he clearly isn't.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by AdBoy
To me, you make it sound like he's doing it nefariously. Which, for me, he clearly isn't.
Really? I don't see that.

My concern about the article is that it is misleading. It gives the impression that those who are downgraded on a companion voucher are not entitled to EC261 protection - that is not necessarily the case. The article appears to be an attempt to malign the airline on flimsy evidence rather than to impart information to the consumer about remedies or options when such an event occurs.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

To put it in slightly more diplomatic terms, I sense a theory has developed in the minds of some that companion vouchers are being specifically targeted for downgrades - ad hoc reports that surface from time to time are being selected to support this theory while reports of commercial ticket holders being downgraded are ignored. Presently, I am of the mind this is a false theory because:

• We don’t know the true reason why specific passengers are selected. I have been told by a BA employee who I trust that travelling on a 2-4-1 redemption has no influence in the management of oversold flights. Others here have been told the same

• The assertion that FLY assesses the financial hit of a downgrade is a bit of a red herring. While I understand it is a tremendously clever system, I have my doubts it holds much commercial information, if any at all, on tickets not issued by BA itself, and i’d probably include corporate 125 plated tickets in that category too.

So while this is a fascinating theory and great fodder for us on FT to chew the fat, I don’t believe it is something we need to be overly concerned about.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Irrespective of whether 241's are being targeted, wouldn't the passengers best response to a downgrade be to decline it and to request first available flight on comparable basis.

The passengers will get to where the need to be in the class that they booked and paid for as soon as practical. ^
Incentive for airline is to make it happen otherwise EC261 kicks in and compensates pax.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I think some on here are being unfair to Raffles. Once the weight of anecdotal evidence combined with BA's reaction to victims of this policy reach the point they have, it becomes more a distinct possibility that BA is doing this deliberately than pure chance. Is it proven, no, but forewarned we are all better prepared for the possibility.

What is certain, however, is that the way BA tries to wriggle out of paying EU261 or other compensation for these "random events" is completely wrong and dishonourable. For pointing that out, as well as the success of others in fighting it, Raffles deserves our gratitude.

And let's face it, who would really be surprised if BA under its current management were really to invoke both this policy and the reaction to compensation claims?
gate4lounge, sl1ppy, mrow and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Tafflyer; Aug 25, 2017 at 6:21 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:19 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by zanderblue
Irrespective of whether 241's are being targeted, wouldn't the passengers best response to a downgrade be to decline it and to request first available flight on comparable basis.

The passengers will get to where the need to be in the class that they booked and paid for as soon as practical. ^
Incentive for airline is to make it happen otherwise EC261 kicks in and compensates pax.
In an ideal world, yes - but sometimes people simply don't have the option to wait for any number of reasons and need to get home. Splitting a group - not even necessarily on a 2-4-1 - would make such a decision doubly hard.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Not just one person, there have been quite a few recently reported on HFP.

Maybe my mind is getting old, but I don't recall many (if any) reports of F downgrades until fairly recently? Now they seem to be happening regularly.

Maybe the F cabins are just fuller these days.
That still does not show that there is a targetting of such. Someone did a post about such passengers being downgraded - it seems unsruprising that others making contact are those that were affected in that same way
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
As it would appear to be BA Corporate policy to lie - in writing - whenever it suits them, but especially when they might have to pay out a penny, I simply do not believe anything anyone from BA says any more.
Their spoken word is worth the paper it is written on. (whoever).

So when an authorised Director, on BA headed notepaper, denies Raffles' points, then I might believe them.

Meanwhile, Raffles is most likely to be correct.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Agreed that the odds of actually being downgraded are probably less than 1%, however anecdotally it does in some way suggest that people are being downgraded on a voucher (maybe just as many not on vouchers are, in which case no one is being targeted etc etc).

However, I suppose it's impossible to prove this EITHER way. BA are never going to admit that they do this publicly (or even privately) and so all we have to go on is anecdotal tales. Even if BA comes out and say they don't do this, there's always going to be mutterings that they are - because this is a forum and we love a conspiracy! Also it makes financial sense for them to do so if they can fob off 80% of customers with their zero value for ticket story.

Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
To put it in slightly more diplomatic terms, I sense a theory has developed in the minds of some that companion vouchers are being specifically targeted for downgrades - ad hoc reports that surface from time to time are being selected to support this theory while reports of commercial ticket holders being downgraded are ignored. Presently, I am of the mind this is a false theory because:

• We don’t know the true reason why specific passengers are selected. I have been told by a BA employee who I trust that travelling on a 2-4-1 redemption has no influence in the management of oversold flights. Others here have been told the same

• The assertion that FLY assesses the financial hit of a downgrade is a bit of a red herring. While I understand it is a tremendously clever system, I have my doubts it holds much commercial information, if any at all, on tickets not issued by BA itself, and i’d probably include corporate 125 plated tickets in that category too.

So while this is a fascinating theory and great fodder for us on FT to chew the fat, I don’t believe it is something we need to be overly concerned about.
Thanks, yes perhaps a better choice of words than mine.

My main issue is that as you know we have had quite a few worried posts on FT from people who have been genuinely convinced that because they are on a 241 they will inevitably get downgraded when this isn't the case. The anedoctes are being presented with an assertion that BA is downgrading companion vouchers when the evidence simply can't sustain such a conclusion.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK
Outside of this 2-4-1 debate, do BA ever split PNRs like this normal bookings? Is it as common for a couple on a paid PNR to be split and for one to be downgraded and not the other? Or do they prioritise single pax in this case if it's just one seat they need?
Yes, I'd be interested to know this too...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
As it would appear to be BA Corporate policy to lie - in writing - whenever it suits them, but especially when they might have to pay out a penny, I simply do not believe anything anyone from BA says any more.
Their spoken word is worth the paper it is written on. (whoever).

So when an authorised Director, on BA headed notepaper, denies Raffles' points, then I might believe them.

Meanwhile, Raffles is most likely to be correct.
This.

I trust the people on this board when they relay what someone at BA told them. But, I don't blankly trust what BA told them, either because they are far removed from the facts, or they are using their FT contacts to relay duff information. BA is no longer a company I trust.

Amongst all the "we don't know" statements, the undeniable perception is that the prevalence of reports of 241 passengers being downgraded has increased over the past year or so.

It could be that the perception is wrong, and is merely a result of a message being amplified in the FT/Head for Points vacuum, or it could be fact, but the perception is certainly there, as evidenced by some of the worried posts we've seen recently.
ds2016 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.