Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by argonath
Just a question with regards the taxes that are charged using the BA Companion Voucher, should these be the same as a identical cash minus the fare charges ?
The taxes/fees/charges payable for a 2-4-1 or most reward bookings (RFS are a little different) should be the same as the taxes/fees.charges payable on an identical revenue booking.

Have you found an issue when pricing up a 2-4-1?
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Originally Posted by argonath
Just a question with regards the taxes that are charged using the BA Companion Voucher, should these be the same as a identical cash minus the fare charges ?
The taxes/fees/charges payable for a 2-4-1 or most reward bookings (RFS are a little different) should be the same as the taxes/fees.charges payable on an identical revenue booking.
Don't forget, though, that you have to pay the taxes, fees and charges for both passengers even though you only pay the Avios price for one. The 2-4-1 voucher only reduces the Avios payable, not the TFC.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:41 am

Make a slight error in calculation as the initial outbound booking payment was split per passenger along with seat reservations but inbound payment lumped all together, so my fault for not differentiating between the charges.. It matches exactly a identical cash booking so all good.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Calling BA to add return to a 2-4-1 booking

i like to book our Avios flights in CW online as soon as the seats are released, at T-355 days, right after 1:00 am in England. That is 5 pm in my time zone. I book one way at a time.

for our 2019 flight I will be using a 2-4-1 voucher, so I can book the outbound leg online at the usual time. But Inwill have to call BA to add the return flight when it is released, correct?

my concern is which number to call at 5 pm, which will be 20:00 Easter Standard Time. The BAEC line contact info says to call 1-800-452-1201 from the US, or 1-800-247-9297 from outside the US. This page shows the lines as closing at 20:00 Eastern Time, so I cannot use either one.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...executive_club

however, the BA website outside of the BAEC area says the number to call to change an existing booking ( not specifically an Avios booking) shows 1-800-2479297 as the number to call, and states it is open from 7am to 11 pm Eastern Standard time.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...cts/contact-us

so which ich do I believe? And if both lines do indeed close at 8 pm Eastern Time, is there another number I can call, in a different country, that will handle the amendment of my Avios booking?

thank you for your help.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond
REMOVED - consensus being that the information posted was incorrect... therefore withdrawing...

Last edited by jobstfeld; Mar 16, 2018 at 6:48 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:25 pm

I thought I read here that it is a simple matter to add the return flight to an existing outbound booking with a 2-4-1 voucher. Is that incorrect?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We do have a thread on this: BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jobstfeld
You could call the Japanese access number.

In my experience, you can't add the return flight to an existing booking. There is a more complicated solution, though.

1) Book outbound leg as one-way
2) Book return leg once available - get on the website and BUY the seats. You will be cancelling them soon.

Once you have the bookings, you CANNOT merge the bookings. Instead, you need to cancel the bookings and then rebook. So, cancel the outbound leg - this will also return the AMEX 241 voucher to you. You need to log out of the website and then log back in in order to see the voucher. You then cancel the inbound leg. As soon as the confirmation comes through, the seats are available (out and inbound) and the system will then be able to see the seats. If the inbound has not been cancelled, the 'in and out' legs are not available.

NOTE on seat booking. If you intend to do the steps above DO NOT RESERVE SEATS ON THE INITIAL HOLDING BOOKINGS!!!! Only reserve seats on the final booking. You will pay and there is no refund (afaik) if you cancel the booking.

HTH
Have not tried this in practice, however it sounds potentially risky as BA don’t guarantee making cancelled Avios seats available to be re-booked.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Have not tried this in practice, however it sounds potentially risky as BA don’t guarantee making cancelled Avios seats available to be re-booked.
Correct - that is certainly not the consensus advice on how to do this.

But as we have a long thread on the subject, with an immensely detailed wikipost put together using many hours of many FTers time willingly given, together with repeated updates of experiences and additional information from BA insiders, it hardly seems worth thrashing it all out again in this thread.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
Calling Japan is very effective....

Just be aware that some seats disappear very quickly. The CPT-LHR flights that I wanted were no longer available at 1:01 am... Routing through JNB
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:20 pm

I've called the US Line a few minutes before closing. By the time I navigated through the menu and then security the magic hour was reached and the seats apoeared.

One one occasion we were ready a minute or so early, but when I explained the agent was very happy to wait and then nab the seats.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by enzian
I thought I read here that it is a simple matter to add the return flight to an existing outbound booking with a 2-4-1 voucher. Is that incorrect?
As detailed on other posts it's not hard. I did it this morning with no problems at all. You do have to call as you can't do it online. Every agent I have used knows exactly what to do. I should say that the agent this morning admitted he hadn't done it for a while and having reserved the seats so no-one else could get them put me on hold for a couple of minutes to get a 'refresher' presumably from a colleague in the call centre
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Note the indent section in the Wiki of the main linked thread, dated 12 February 2018, approximately half way down, for an easy online solution, so long as you have plenty of Avios: you can now book the return online via a separate booking (which has some advantages as we know from elsewhere), initially at full rate. However you can then call up, have the voucher applied to this new booking, and receive the excess Avios back. For flights to USA we think this is expensive than a normal return, due to differential surcharges, but perhaps not for other areas, and indeed cheaper in some cases.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:18 pm

Thank you.

i should have stated at the outset that this is a Chase 2-4-1 voucher for travel from the US to Europe and then back, not an AmEx 2-4-1. It probably does not make any difference, and I will read through this thread for relevant information.
But my real question is about which call center to use, as the time the seats are released is after the closing time for the US numbers.

I guess I will try what corporate-wage-slave suggests and make a separate booking online for the flight home, then call later and have them apply the voucher and adjust the Avios. I will try and find the initial,posting that refers to this and read it.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by jobstfeld
You could call the Japanese access number.

In my experience, you can't add the return flight to an existing booking. There is a more complicated solution, though.

1) Book outbound leg as one-way
2) Book return leg once available - get on the website and BUY the seats. You will be cancelling them soon.

Once you have the bookings, you CANNOT merge the bookings. Instead, you need to cancel the bookings and then rebook. So, cancel the outbound leg - this will also return the AMEX 241 voucher to you. You need to log out of the website and then log back in in order to see the voucher. You then cancel the inbound leg. As soon as the confirmation comes through, the seats are available (out and inbound) and the system will then be able to see the seats. If the inbound has not been cancelled, the 'in and out' legs are not available.

NOTE on seat booking. If you intend to do the steps above DO NOT RESERVE SEATS ON THE INITIAL HOLDING BOOKINGS!!!! Only reserve seats on the final booking. You will pay and there is no refund (afaik) if you cancel the booking.

HTH
There are so many false statements in this post, it is hard to know where to begin. Here is a brief start:
1. Yes, you CAN add the return flight to an existing booking. I (and others) have done it dozens of times, via phone.
2. Yes, you CAN merge bookings, as demonstrated by previous posts on this thread. I have done it, and several others have, as well.
3. Making a booking it and then cancelling it --- a strategy that is foolish, risky, and unnecessary.

The simple answer: Book the outbound voucher flight on-line, when the seats initially become available. When the inbound seats become available, call a service center to add the inbound flight to the outbound voucher booking. This may involve calling Japan. See this thread for more detailed discussion. Most importantly, ignore everything in the post quoted above. (Poster should seriously consider deleting it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.