Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
First time AMEX holder here, So excuse the Newbie questions,

1) If I start in INV does that stop me from paying APD x 2 people but does cost me 8000 more avios as a result?

If I wanted to GUF2 the booking to F from J would I make the booking first with Amex voucher then call to apply the GUF2 or is the recommendation to call and do all at once? Can a return leg be added to a Guf2 & Amex booking or does it need to be all done at once?

2) Finally ( I promise ) If I was to book thes online would it be like doing 2 people on a redemption booking so it quotes twice the avios then I hit the add voucher button and it then deducts the 2nd avios off? as in I need to have enough avios for both to start with first?
Haven't used the GUF2 with a 2-4-1 so I can't comment on that but the answer to the other questions:
1) Yes
2) No, when you are searching for the flights, you specify that you wish to use your 2-4-1 at the beginning and you are only ever quoted the single person avios amount.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
First time AMEX holder here, So excuse the Newbie questions,

If I start in INV does that stop me from paying APD x 2 people but does cost me 8000 more avios as a result?

If I wanted to GUF2 the booking to F from J would I make the booking first with Amex voucher then call to apply the GUF2 or is the recommendation to call and do all at once? Can a return leg be added to a Guf2 & Amex booking or does it need to be all done at once?

Finally ( I promise ) If I was to book thes online would it be like doing 2 people on a redemption booking so it quotes twice the avios then I hit the add voucher button and it then deducts the 2nd avios off? as in I need to have enough avios for both to start with first?
No APD starting from INV, so when doing a long haul trip you save £156 per person - you don't need to return to INV at the end of the booking. There are also some very good exINV fares as well so for example I booked INV-NYC for March next year in J for £1181.

Domestic connection to long haul rewards do not cost any additional avios, but there will be some additional fees/charged to pay, around £20-30 per person per flight.

When you go in to the reward search engine you can select the amex voucher before searching and the avios you will be quoted and will pay will be for 1 person only, so you only need to have enough to cover one person.

If you are doing a amex voucher + GUF I would probably call and book rather than book online with the amex and call to apply the GUF. I think you can select both the amex and the GUF voucher when searching and therefore get a quote for both vouchers included, although of you are not doing a simple return (e.g. if you want to book INV-LHR-NYC-LHR-GLA) you can't quote for that or book it online.

Can a return leg be added to a Guf2 & Amex booking or does it need to be all done at once?
I think that should be fine if you want to book it that way, so outbound first and then add inbound later.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by KARFA
No APD starting from INV, so when doing a long haul trip you save £156 per person - you don't need to return to INV at the end of the booking. There are also some very good exINV fares as well so for example I booked INV-NYC for March next year in J for £1181.

Domestic connection to long haul rewards do not cost any additional avios, but there will be some additional fees/charged to pay, around £20-30 per person per flight.

When you go in to the reward search engine you can select the amex voucher before searching and the avios you will be quoted and will pay will be for 1 person only, so you only need to have enough to cover one person.

If you are doing a amex voucher + GUF I would probably call and book rather than book online with the amex and call to apply the GUF. I think you can select both the amex and the GUF voucher when searching and therefore get a quote for both vouchers included, although of you are not doing a simple return (e.g. if you want to book INV-LHR-NYC-LHR-GLA) you can't quote for that or book it online.

I think that should be fine if you want to book it that way, so outbound first and then add inbound later.

Awesome @KARFA thanks for the quick response, Do they work on Comair as well given that they are also BA? Thinking out loud if I was going to Cape Town I could do the 380 to JNB then connect to CPT rather than 747 but then I do like 1A and 1K on the 747

Getting to INV first isnt an issue for me its £10 on the train from Glasgow
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Do they work on Comair as well given that they are also BA?
The 2-4-1 voucher's T&Cs exclude franchisees, as set out at the beginning of the wikipost - so no.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:28 am

Does anyone have a recent experience with cancelling a voucher reward flight like this? Had an open jaw booked, tried to cancel online several days in a row but an error message had me to call the You First line to get the cancellation done. They said everything is done within 48 hours with vouchers, taxes and avios back in the account by then. This time frame is already passed and nothing is back/refunded. Any recent experience would be great to see if there is a particular way to deal with this, as I do not want to wait too long to be refunded. The cancellation is effective though as Amadeus shows the segments as cancelled. Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mrpacifist
Does anyone have a recent experience with cancelling a voucher reward flight like this? Had an open jaw booked, tried to cancel online several days in a row but an error message had me to call the You First line to get the cancellation done. They said everything is done within 48 hours with vouchers, taxes and avios back in the account by then. This time frame is already passed and nothing is back/refunded. Any recent experience would be great to see if there is a particular way to deal with this, as I do not want to wait too long to be refunded. The cancellation is effective though as Amadeus shows the segments as cancelled. Thanks a lot in advance!
You should get the avios and voucher back straight away. Cash (minus the cancellation fees) would probably take around 5-7 days to appear back on your card.

Sounds like yours is in a queue waiting for processing. May be worth chasing in a few days if the avios and voucher haven't reappeared on your account.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:24 pm

Thanks a lot Karfa for your reply, will chase them indeed, hopefully it won't be too long :/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:41 am

Adding return flight with 241 Amex flight

Just thought I would let you know of our BA experience today. We booked the first leg of our 241 flight to BGI 2 weeks ago, the return flight became available at 1am this morning and having read on here that we can book it and then call when UK BA start work, we booked with Avios at 1am and then rang at 8.30am the agent had no idea, did not think this was possible as it was 2 different booking numbers and was not possible to merge, we explained it had been done in the past and so he suggested we ring back in 40 minutes when supervisors would be available. Rang back at 9.30am, the second agent said it was not possible to merge two bookings and he had worked there for five years and never seen it, we explained that yes it is possible and that we have done it certainly within the last five years, he put us on hold while he went to talk to a supervisor, never came back and the line went dead after 15 minutes. Rang straight back and got a 3rd agent who said it was not possible to merge two bookings, told him about this thread and even read him a few of the posts, he went to check, came back quite a while later and said that it was indeed possible and that he had learned something new today! So the message is persevere until you find someone who will listen and want to help! Thank you to all of you for giving me the confidence to carry on until we got what we wanted!
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by cruisemad
Just thought I would let you know of our BA experience today. We booked the first leg of our 241 flight to BGI 2 weeks ago, the return flight became available at 1am this morning and having read on here that we can book it and then call when UK BA start work, we booked with Avios at 1am and then rang at 8.30am the agent had no idea, did not think this was possible as it was 2 different booking numbers and was not possible to merge, we explained it had been done in the past and so he suggested we ring back in 40 minutes when supervisors would be available. Rang back at 9.30am, the second agent said it was not possible to merge two bookings and he had worked there for five years and never seen it, we explained that yes it is possible and that we have done it certainly within the last five years, he put us on hold while he went to talk to a supervisor, never came back and the line went dead after 15 minutes. Rang straight back and got a 3rd agent who said it was not possible to merge two bookings, told him about this thread and even read him a few of the posts, he went to check, came back quite a while later and said that it was indeed possible and that he had learned something new today! So the message is persevere until you find someone who will listen and want to help! Thank you to all of you for giving me the confidence to carry on until we got what we wanted!
Glad you got it sorted.

However, to be fair the agents were correct and you can't merge bookings. The method described recently is that the voucher simply gets applied across on to a second booking with a resulting refund of avios. You are still left with two bookings. I think for anyone wanting to do this I would suggest not using the term "merge".

Also to emphasise, this method is not recommended for bookings to the US due to taxes/fees/charges.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Glad you got it sorted.

However, to be fair the agents were correct and you can't merge bookings. The method described recently is that the voucher simply gets applied across on to a second booking with a resulting refund of avios. You are still left with two bookings. I think for anyone wanting to do this I would suggest not using the term "merge".

Also to emphasise, this method is not recommended for bookings to the US due to taxes/fees/charges.
I also wonder what would happen if you want to make changes to the booking: cabin, date, route. Will it be straightforward to calculate the difference in Avios and tax?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I also wonder what would happen if you want to make changes to the booking: cabin, date, route. Will it be straightforward to calculate the difference in Avios and tax?
I think using the two bookings method changes should be ok subject to the change fee being paid and any change in routing being within the same avios zone. If there is a change in taxes/fees/charges I would imagine you would pay/refund as normal - so the same as if you were changing a normal return reward booking.

The difference here is that the taxes/fees/charges for each booking are independent as this is priced as two one ways with no reprice to a return when you apply the voucher across on to the second booking. This is why I wouldn't recommend this method for anyone using their voucher for the US since exUS TFC is very high. The method may be more attractive for a booking to HKG tho
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:28 am

Thanks for that I will remember for next time.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by meowycrystal
I have a gold upgrade for two and my partner has 2-4-1.
We are looking to book LHR-NYC F.
Can we use our vouchers at the same time?
The answer is YES if anyone interested.

refer.
Combining Two Amex 241 and a GUF2
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Round the World with a 2-4-1 (widest possible open jaw?)

For anyone interested in how far an open jaw booking can be while meeting the requirement for the two flights to both be longer than the distance across the "jaw".

I have just booked (and it's ticketed) LHR-SCL / SYD-LHR using a 241 to start and end a RTW trip
The GC distances are
LHR-SCL 11631km
[SCL-SYD 11363km]
SYD-LHR 17016km

Computer said yes! I think this must be the longest possible jaw distance given the rules and BA's current network, but happy to be corrected.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:03 am

Call centres on a sunday

Hi,

I need to add a return leg on a 241 booking but in order to get the date I want, I’ll have to call BA at 1am on a Sunday. Hong Kong/Japan/Singapore will
be closed. Does anybody know the next best?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.