Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

URGENT: Missed connection BA27--KA824 (LHR-HKG-CTU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold

Hello,

It is my first time to transit through HKG, and I missed my flight to CTU.

I was settled in the lounge and i started to make my way from The Pier F to 508 Gate 40 minutes before the flight leaves at 1915.

I was shocked when I was told it is a 30 minutes walk from 64 to 508. I speeded my way throughout and becuase of a brolen escalator o took extra time to find the lift. I then waited for the bus to move slowly to 500 gates. I eventually arrived at 1910 hours. I missed my flight.

KA staffs can't do anything (they're nice thoguh!!) and i spoke to BA outsorced GAs and they can no do anything. I phoned BA and they ask me to speak to GAs in HKG.

What can I do now? IT's a weekend turnaround to CTU and after that i have HKG-LHR then LHR-MAD-TFS. I cannot afford to lose the segments.

Can soemone help me?
window.post_1489234923892_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}window.post_1489234926360_10 = function(win,msg){
}
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Have you tried a ticketing desk rather than gate agents? Do you still need to get to CTU, or are you just concerned about protecting your onward connections to Europe? Did you buy your ticket from BA or CX (or another travel agent)?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh dear, poor you, this isn't good. The 500 gates are a real pain, and yes you do need to leave the Pier (!) well, well before 40 minutes, the layout is completely against using that lounge for those gates. Something you now know.

There is a strong risk the rest of your ticket is now auto-cancelled. You best try to get the Dragonair agent to put a comment in the PNR, to say you got held up inside the airport. Then get yourself to CTU at your own expense. What happens next depends on how well the computers talk to each other, and I don't know whether it's best to ring up BA and ask them to reinstate CTU onwards (assuming it's a 125 ticket) or just turn up and see if it all works. On balance I think it is best to call, even if the answer is "sorry no" then at least you know where you stand. You could leave the call until you've tried OLCI on Cathay, which is 48 hours.

If not - insurance?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:27 am

When you say weekend turnaround, do you mean immediate turnaround i.e. Flying back on same plane that just left, or is your CTU-HKG sector tomorrow?

If tomorrow, can you get there in time either on another HKG-CTU tomorrow or the one doing the turn then. I would fork out to get there if possible.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Have you talked to the CX people in the lounge? They can be very helpful although there is no OW flight to CTU anymore. The Hong Kong Airlines option is leaving as we speak, so you're basically stuck (as I am assuming an overnight turn around, so no time to get to CTU in the morning and still make the return).

I would run to the nearest CX desk, explain the confusion, ask if they can either protect the return segment and then go to the BA/QF lounge and do the same. There are many good hotels near HKG.

The earliest cheap flight tomorrow arrives at 1:40 PM and is only 100 in Y. There is a slightly earlier one that arrives at 1:05PM for around 250. Assuming you're on the 2:05 PM out of CTU tomorrow the last one seems your only choice, unless you can talk someone into accepting that you restart in HKG.

Last edited by henkybaby; Mar 11, 2017 at 5:38 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
When you say weekend turnaround, do you mean immediate turnaround i.e. Flying back on same plane that just left, or is your CTU-HKG sector tomorrow?

If tomorrow, can you get there in time either on another HKG-CTU tomorrow or the one doing the turn then. I would fork out to get there if possible.
It is a weekend trip, returning on Monday -- all KA staffs know without saying i am doing ex-eu haha
window.post_1489235307242_2 = function(win,msg){
}window.post_1489235310400_11 = function(win,msg){
}
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus
Have you tried a ticketing desk rather than gate agents? Do you still need to get to CTU, or are you just concerned about protecting your onward connections to Europe? Did you buy your ticket from BA or CX (or another travel agent)?
I would like to do CTU but i dont have to. Doing jt just for points. I am trying both and looks like i will fly to CTU tomorrow!
window.post_1489235528100_2 = function(win,msg){
}window.post_1489235530842_10 = function(win,msg){
}
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Oh dear, poor you, this isn't good. The 500 gates are a real pain, and yes you do need to leave the Pier (!) well, well before 40 minutes, the layout is completely against using that lounge for those gates. Something you now know.

There is a strong risk the rest of your ticket is now auto-cancelled. You best try to get the Dragonair agent to put a comment in the PNR, to say you got held up inside the airport. Then get yourself to CTU at your own expense. What happens next depends on how well the computers talk to each other, and I don't know whether it's best to ring up BA and ask them to reinstate CTU onwards (assuming it's a 125 ticket) or just turn up and see if it all works. On balance I think it is best to call, even if the answer is "sorry no" then at least you know where you stand. You could leave the call until you've tried OLCI on Cathay, which is 48 hours.

If not - insurance?
I used Amex to book -- will it help?

On BA phone atm -- she says someone is on.my PNR but I don't know who is on it. Probably someone in airside -- what should I do?

I am pushing to have BA rebook HKG-CTU btw
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Have you talked to the CX people in the lounge? They can be very helpful although there is no OW flight to CTU anymore. The Hong Kong Airlines option is leaving as we speak, so you're basically stuck (as I am assuming an overnight turn around, so no time to get to CTU in the morning and still make the return).

I would run to the nearest CX desk, explain the confusion, ask if they can either protect the return segment and then go to the BA/QF lounge and do the same. There are many good hotels near HKG.

The earliest cheap flight tomorrow arrives at 1:40 PM and is only 100 in Y. There is a slightly earlier one that arrives at 1:05PM for around 250.
Hello,

KA says they can do nothing as it's 125 ticket.

Samuel
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cysyuen
Hello,

KA says they can do nothing as it's 125 ticket.

Samuel
Try CX and flaunt your Gold card. Don't forget the BA/QF lounge! They have helped me on 125 issued tickets before, although in that case it was their screw up.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

More information:
1. My plan was to fly HKG-CTU on SATURDAY then return on MONDAY.
2. I tried KA agents (all, including CS and GA) and they can do nothing as it is ex-125
3. BA contracted staff asks me to phone up. They have no flexibility.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by cysyuen
I used Amex to book -- will it help?

On BA phone atm -- she says someone is on.my PNR but I don't know who is on it. Probably someone in airside -- what should I do?

I am pushing to have BA rebook HKG-CTU btw
Oh yes sorry I just realised your HKG-CTU flight was part of the remaining ticket - for some reason I was thinking it was a separate positioning flight.

That being the case, you will definitely need to get BA either to rebook or protect your inbound - my suggestion above of getting to CTU separately in time for the CTU-HKG won't be enough.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, in that case breathe a little easier. You have plenty of time to sort this out. KA refused to rebook you on tomorrow's flight as they have entered you as a no show, I presume? First, go have a drink, calm down and arrange for a nice airport hotel.

I am sure you will manage to get it sorted but it will be frustrating at best. You should also notify AMEX. You paid with AMEX, not booked with them, right? They can be wonderful though.

Don't spend a fortune on phone calls. Go to the BA/QF lounge and see if you can call BA CS there.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Ah, in that case breathe a little easier. You have plenty of time to sort this out. KA refused to rebook you on tomorrow's flight as they have entered you as a no show, I presume? First, go have a drink, calm down and arrange for a nice airport hotel.

I am sure you will manage to get it sorted but it will be frustrating at best. You should also notify AMEX. You paid with AMEX, not booked with them, right? They can be wonderful though.

Don't spend a fortune on phone calls. Go to the BA/QF lounge and see if you can call BA CS there.
Hello,

I wish i can chill! I was escprted to landslide. Goodbye to drinks!! I am HKG based so i do not need hotel -- just go home :P

I spoke to CX ticketing again and they say nothing can be done as It 125 issued. Will phone Amex later! I only have the PRG card though
though.

Samuel
window.post_1489236534899_2 = function(win,msg){
}window.post_1489236537315_10 = function(win,msg){
}
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Update:

Call still on hold. Spoke to CX F checkin and they say i should do DYKWIA and ask for the personal to speak to be. I am calling BA now and they still can't reissue it. I will head to BA counter now.

Samuelwindow.post_1489237296690_2 = function(win,msg){
}window.post_1489237299594_10 = function(win,msg){
}

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.