Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

URGENT: Missed connection BA27--KA824 (LHR-HKG-CTU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT: Missed connection BA27--KA824 (LHR-HKG-CTU)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:31 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Suppose then other factor is the time it takes to 500 gates are not well advertised...?
Whenever you check in with Cathay they always give you this card. I'm surprised if you didn't receive it in London. It shows that it takes 40 minutes to get to the 500 gates:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...tional-airport
Attached Images  
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why so obsessed by the Pier F?!

I honestly dont understand the obsession of Pier F.

When we flew HKG-LAX in Feb, the departure gate was not available at check in (slightly under 2 hours before departure). The Aisle A check in counter told us our flight might depart from Gate 3 or Gate 3x. My husband decided to just go to The Wing F and wait for the Gate info. Both of us dont think a long walk to The Pier is worth it after our last experiences there on a previous flight. So we just had lunch at The Wing's sit down restaurant which had a much faster service than the Pier F last time when it took 30 min or more to just get a bowl of wonton soup that was the only thing my husband ordered.

Then the gate info finally showed up - it was Gate 3. We were quite glad we just planted ourselves at The Wing F. We left the lounge to the Gate shortly after the "Now Boarding" popped up. With CX boarding process I feel there is no reason to go early if you are in J or F because it seems CX does not really distinguish the boarding priority and it is always a long line regardless which cabin you are in if you arrive right at the "recommended time". There is no reason to arrive the gate earlier than 10 min.

When we arrived the gate we still could not quite get which lane was for the J/F passengers due to there were some people cluttered in the area while the obvious line for Y passenger was still quite long. Since we were flying F (and the only passengers in F) I told my confused husband to just follow me, directly proceeded to the gate entrance regardless how others stared at us ... and were promptly let in.

So count us in the late boarding camp but not the group who is obsessed with The Pier F. Frankly I like The Pier J section far more. Unless the departure gate is in the 3x, I doubt we would make the trek to The Pier.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Whenever you check in with Cathay they always give you this card. I'm surprised if you didn't receive it in London. It shows that it takes 40 minutes to get to the 500 gates:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...tional-airport
I was not given this in London as my journey started in FLR and it was operated by BA between FLR-LCY and LHR-HKG.

I have seen them before long ago but still, I wasn't given it at all for this journey. Not even when I was using KA F check-in.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I honestly dont understand the obsession of Pier F.

When we flew HKG-LAX in Feb, the departure gate was not available at check in (slightly under 2 hours before departure). The Aisle A check in counter told us our flight might depart from Gate 3 or Gate 3x. My husband decided to just go to The Wing F and wait for the Gate info. Both of us dont think a long walk to The Pier is worth it after our last experiences there on a previous flight. So we just had lunch at The Wing's sit down restaurant which had a much faster service than the Pier F last time when it took 30 min or more to just get a bowl of wonton soup that was the only thing my husband ordered.

Then the gate info finally showed up - it was Gate 3. We were quite glad we just planted ourselves at The Wing F. We left the lounge to the Gate shortly after the "Now Boarding" popped up. With CX boarding process I feel there is no reason to go early if you are in J or F because it seems CX does not really distinguish the boarding priority and it is always a long line regardless which cabin you are in if you arrive right at the "recommended time". There is no reason to arrive the gate earlier than 10 min.

When we arrived the gate we still could not quite get which lane was for the J/F passengers due to there were some people cluttered in the area while the obvious line for Y passenger was still quite long. Since we were flying F (and the only passengers in F) I told my confused husband to just follow me, directly proceeded to the gate entrance regardless how others stared at us ... and were promptly let in.

So count us in the late boarding camp but not the group who is obsessed with The Pier F. Frankly I like The Pier J section far more. Unless the departure gate is in the 3x, I doubt we would make the trek to The Pier.
I mainly choose The Pier F as it is newer and it has better and more food choices. The Wing F is good also but I really liked the design at the Pier (both F&J actually). It is not something I can express in writing but I feel that is the place I belong to. The Wing F can get slightly (not very) busy and I really the indoor environment as it is quieter. You will be surprised but it you 'ban' me from using the Pier Lounges I will then choose Qantas Hong Kong Lounge as it's much quieter and the food is quality there and I know the staffs. This lounge is also the first lounge I used my status to get access to when I became OWS so this may act as a small factor too.

p.s. You never jump the line if you arrive later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.