Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

URGENT: Missed connection BA27--KA824 (LHR-HKG-CTU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT: Missed connection BA27--KA824 (LHR-HKG-CTU)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Every piece of advice here and every direction from someone on the ground at HKG has been to call BA. I realize that on the one occasion you did this, the agent was unable to access your PNR, but that is presumably no longer the case.

I would now try call BA again. If local HKG BA numbers do not ring through to helpful staff, politely hang up and try UK or North American numbers. Skype makes this easy and cheap.

To be clear regarding the advice above, when you missed your HKG-CTU flight, the rule is that the remainder of your ticket all the way back to LHR is cancelled. When and whether that happens is never an absolute certainty and similarly you are entirely at BA's mercy regarding getting that reinstated.

Other carriers will not help in this circumstance because this is not IRROPS and they have nothing to do with the situation. However, Amex as your travel agent most certainly can assist. As with the BA advice above, if Amex locally will not help, try other Amex numbers in other locations.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Another update:
1. Local BA ticketing counter can not deal no shows as it's past departure time.
2. The very jice agent, D, has rebooked me on the KA820 tomorrow. The ticket is still waiting to be issued.
3. I am now going home to rest and we'll see what happens tomorrow!!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Every piece of advice here and every direction from someone on the ground at HKG has been to call BA. I realize that on the one occasion you did this, the agent was unable to access your PNR, but that is presumably no longer the case.

I would now try call BA again. If local HKG BA numbers do not ring through to helpful staff, politely hang up and try UK or North American numbers. Skype makes this easy and cheap.

To be clear regarding the advice above, when you missed your HKG-CTU flight, the rule is that the remainder of your ticket all the way back to LHR is cancelled. When and whether that happens is never an absolute certainty and similarly you are entirely at BA's mercy regarding getting that reinstated.

Other carriers will not help in this circumstance because this is not IRROPS and they have nothing to do with the situation. However, Amex as your travel agent most certainly can assist. As with the BA advice above, if Amex locally will not help, try other Amex numbers in other locations.
​​Just saying i booked with BA directly on the phone and paid by Amex Gold. That is my only charge card. I was thinking if their gobal assist can help me bur it's too late now as i got it mostly sorted myself.

I must thank all member who helped me -- its great to learj a lot of stuffs from you all.

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
BA may not be very sympathetic here, especially a phone agent. When I missed a flight out of my own stupidity the only option put forward to me was to change the ticket, which I did even though it was ridiculously expensive but I had to travel. I even offered to buy my own ticket to the next connection point if they agreed to protect the rest of my itinerary but it was a no go. I believe agents at airports have more power but it is not a BA flight that was missed.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
BA may not be very sympathetic here, especially a phone agent. When I missed a flight out of my own stupidity the only option put forward to me was to change the ticket, which I did even though it was ridiculously expensive but I had to travel. I even offered to buy my own ticket to the next connection point if they agreed to protect the rest of my itinerary but it was a no go. I believe agents at airports have more power but it is not a BA flight that was missed.
I must have gottej lucky then. I got rebooked and waiting for reissue. Suppose being kind helps.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
By now, you know quite well that it was not smart to settle in the Pier and not ask how long it takes to get to the 500 gates. But you pay a hefty price.

This is a BA ticket and reissue needs to be worked out by them. It all depends on the kind of ticket you bought. It seems to be an ex-EU ticket without stopover allowed and probably quite inflexible. They will reprice it and the change in fare, including a noshow charge, could be huge. But BA could be kind and waive any charge.

Last edited by brunos; Mar 11, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cysyuen
I must have gottej lucky then. I got rebooked and waiting for reissue. Suppose being kind helps.
Great result. I certainly was not rude when I called BA, I knew that I was at their mercy and it was my fault, so I was basically begging, and even tried crying (well, I was actually crying as I could not believe I missed my flight), but to no avail. It was either pay or stay. But I am very happy for you! I know what a stressful situation it was for you, and getting it resolved so quickly and with such a great result is awesome!

Last edited by Andriyko; Mar 11, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA EC
Good luck for you.
I can only say gate 5XX is terrible far ...
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Good news. The CX/KA agents are always going the extra mile. Even if they can pass the blame. Hope it all works out now. If they recooked you without issuing a new ticket you should be fine. ^
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Good news. The CX/KA agents are always going the extra mile. Even if they can pass the blame. Hope it all works out now. If they recooked you without issuing a new ticket you should be fine. ^
I am now on the line again with BA. Ticket is still not issued but the agent is talking to fares department atm.

CX/KA agents are nice. If it wasn't for all the promotions would have flown them to HKG
window.post_1489252469442_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}window.post_1489252471813_10 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Final updates

Hey all!!

So at the end I was rebooked without any penalty on the phone. In this case I've learnt:

1. Don't leave things in the last minute -- always look for the screen ajd ask how long it takes to get thete in advance
2. KA/CX staffs are very helpful. They have done all they can do to help. They tried all options but they have no access to the ticket as it is 125 stock. They also taught me what to do, including using the DYKWIA card, sympathy card and be patient.
3. BA station staffs are basically useless. I asked the check-in agent to kindly phone up to station manager but the reply was that if the ticketing counter can't do anything then that's nothing can be done by them either. The HK counter at J zone can't deal with no-show afaik. I was expecting them to do more than that.
4. The Amex Global assist line closed when i needed them. Where's the CS when i needed them?
5. I have learnt a lot from FT -- without your help i wouldn't have managed the situation well. I was twice in different occasions asked how come i know so much (i used lots of special terms) and i simply said I am a mwmber of Flyertalk

Anyways i am now at Pier F eating breakfast. I will stare at the info screen from time to time!! (I can't resist the temptation to be therr 😂&#128514
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Anyways i am now at Pier F eating breakfast. I will stare at the info screen from time to time!! (I can't resist the temptation to be therr 😂&#128514
The information screens in HKG do not know you are in the Pier, it's not the obvious place to be, particularly for the 500 gates. You need to leave the Pier in excess of one hour before departure if it is the 500 gates again, 75 minutes would be sensible. If you were in the Wing or Qantas you would be able to leave later.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
....Anyways i am now at Pier F eating breakfast. I will stare at the info screen from time to time!! (I can't resist the temptation to be therr 😂&#128514
You're a glutton for punishment! Why on earth go all the way to the Pier when you know you face a stressful hike to the gate?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You're a glutton for punishment! Why on earth go all the way to the Pier when you know you face a stressful hike to the gate?
Because I am trying my luck. Turns out it is gate 35 this time!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The information screens in HKG do not know you are in the Pier, it's not the obvious place to be, particularly for the 500 gates. You need to leave the Pier in excess of one hour before departure if it is the 500 gates again, 75 minutes would be sensible. If you were in the Wing or Qantas you would be able to leave later.
So glad that this time it leaves at Gate 35 -- that's a much better gate inho!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.