Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

URGENT: Missed connection BA27--KA824 (LHR-HKG-CTU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT: Missed connection BA27--KA824 (LHR-HKG-CTU)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:35 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Don't miss your flight again
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Another update:
1. Local BA ticketing counter can not deal no shows as it's past departure time.
2. The very jice agent, D, has rebooked me on the KA820 tomorrow. The ticket is still waiting to be issued.
3. I am now going home to rest and we'll see what happens tomorrow!!
Was this agent a KA agent or BA phone agent?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I am interested to hear more about what a 'DYKWIA card' (status? to DYKWIA at BA or CX?) and 'sympathy card' is. My experience with CX agents (even at F check in) is that they are rather hostile, emotionless at best even if you try to be 'super nice' to them (and yes speaking as an HK native using Cantonese). Would be good info to know in case of future AA-CX or CX-AA misconnects too.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I have had nothing but great experience from CX agents at HKG.

1 - late inbound flight on CX metal meant I would miss my connection at BKK for RJ to LHR via AMM. Super cheap business class RJ ticket - CX rerouted me home on CX and BA metal via MAD and issued a new ticket on their stock for it

2 - asked to move to earlier PVG flight as I had a long connection. CX lounge angel issued a new BP no problem

So yes of course status comes into play but also being kind and patient and having a plan
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Was this agent a KA agent or BA phone agent?
D is a... BA agent on the Gold line. CX/KA made it very clear that they have no access to my PNR as it is 125 stock.

Last edited by cysyuen; Mar 12, 2017 at 12:40 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I am interested to hear more about what a 'DYKWIA card' (status? to DYKWIA at BA or CX?) and 'sympathy card' is. My experience with CX agents (even at F check in) is that they are rather hostile, emotionless at best even if you try to be 'super nice' to them (and yes speaking as an HK native using Cantonese). Would be good info to know in case of future AA-CX or CX-AA misconnects too.
I have absolutely no problem dealing with them. I am HK national who soeaks Cantonese and BA Gold.. I suppose they can see that i was very worried and therfore decided to help. I know there are some not so nice people around but i always hope for the best.

The DYKWIA card was in that case about returning to Zone J check-in, make them fully aware that I am OWE and see if they will be more proactive. I didn't say I am Gold but rather I had it on my hand so they can see it. I also added some comments like I hope my loyalty pays off and do you think my status help? These remarks will definitely make them want to know who you really are.

The sympathy card was about showing them I had a long journey, I didn't know my way around well enough and it is the last thing I wanted to happen. I suppose running to the gate helped as the GA was asked on the phone if I casually walked or did i rush to gate. I also ran to many counters, including 508 gate, KA counter at gate 20, Zone B First Check-in, Zone H KA Ticketing, Zone J BA ticketing and check-in. I kept ALL of the counters well informed of what I did and what response I got and suppose to them it shows I am trying my best to sort it out and hence offered more help and sympathy.

Remember I was specifically told by CX F check-in agents to flash my OWE status so the BA staffs can see it. While ticketing remained hopeless (they even said we are not dealing with BA ticketing at the moment) but I managed to get a check-in agent to speak to the personal i.e. SM (CX agents used this term). All of the CX/KA agents were on my side yesterday I can tell. This is probably because they realised the treatment I received does not equal to the loyalty I've given.

Hello from Chengdu!! It's cloudy here but glad to be here anyways. No personal greeting from ISM but it's not something. I care anymore. The flight was superb and the FAs walk around often to refill drinks. Something I will miss soon.

Last edited by cysyuen; Mar 12, 2017 at 12:44 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Don't miss your flight again
I was having a foot massage when boarding started. Left the lounge at 1005 hours for 1025 hours flight. I ran and got on the plane at 1010 hours. I was one of the laat (last??) to board.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
I was having a foot massage when boarding started. Left the lounge at 1005 hours for 1025 hours flight. I ran and got on the plane at 1010 hours. I was one of the laat (last??) to board.
Wow you really like cutting it fine haha
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm glad you made it to Chengdu, I hope you get to see the adorable pandas, but if time doesn't permit, some Sichuan Peppercorn Chicken would be next on my list. There's a set of semi-hawker stalls next to the Crowne Plaza which are good for this.

I can see your line of argument for deploying the DYKWIA card - which probably uniquely works in HKG, though I would wonder about its over-use there -and the Sympathy card - which probably has more global eligibility. But it is probably best just to leave the lounge a bit earlier.....
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I missed my flight in 2015 when I was at the Pier having flown in from LHR on BA and connecting to MNL with CX. It was my first visit to the Pier and I stumbled on the little slumber rooms and promptly fell into a deep sleep. I woke up shortly after my flight had departed, which was the last one of the day. I had a connection of 3 or 4hrs or so and I was travelling on an Avios redemption for the CX sector. The agents in the Pier were unable to assist with rebooking. I then went to the CX service desk near gate 21 and they rebooked me for one of the following morning's flight.

Next day I arrived to check in for my flight and was told to go to the ticketing desk as my ticket hadn't been reissued. I was told that CX couldn't touch my booking as it was a 125 ticket. I assumed that BA wouldn't change the booking for me as it was within 24hrs of departure (for changes to Avios redemptions) so did not call them. In any case it was early in HKG and the BA office there was still closed. I had to buy a new ticket on PR to fly that morning as CX is so expensive!

It's very easy to forget where you are when you are in the Pier and definitely make sure you set your alarm when deciding to have a nap!

Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BA EC
I found in BA website that something called oneworld Global Support teams in Hong Kong, so one may see if they can help

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...global-support
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
D is a... BA agent on the Gold line. CX/KA made it very clear that they have no access to my PNR as it is 125 stock.
I have absolutely no problem dealing with them. I am HK national who soeaks Cantonese and BA Gold.. I suppose they can see that i was very worried and therfore decided to help. I know there are some not so nice people around but i always hope for the best.

The “DYKWIA” card was in that case about returning to Zone J check-in, make them fully aware that I am OWE and see if they will be more proactive. I didn't say I am Gold but rather I had it on my hand so they can see it. I also added some comments like “I hope my loyalty pays off” and “do you think my status help?” These remarks will definitely make them want to know who you really are.

The “sympathy” card was about showing them I had a long journey, I didn't know my way around well enough and it is the last thing I wanted to happen. I suppose running to the gate helped as the GA was asked on the phone if I casually walked or did i rush to gate. I also ran to many counters, including 508 gate, KA counter at gate 20, Zone B First Check-in, Zone H KA Ticketing, Zone J BA ticketing and check-in. I kept ALL of the counters well informed of what I did and what response I got and suppose to them it shows I am trying my best to sort it out and hence offered more help and sympathy.

Remember I was specifically told by CX F check-in agents to flash my OWE status so the BA staffs can see it. While ticketing remained hopeless (they even said we are not dealing with BA ticketing at the moment) but I managed to get a check-in agent to speak to “the personal” i.e. SM (CX agents used this term). All of the CX/KA agents were on my side yesterday I can tell. This is probably because they realised the treatment I received does not equal to the loyalty I've given.

Hello from Chengdu!! It's cloudy here but glad to be here anyways. No personal greeting from ISM but it's not something. I care anymore. The flight was superb and the FAs walk around often to refill drinks. Something I will miss soon.
Right, 125 stock that's why CX couldn't do anything. I still find it mildly amusing because the local staff actually despise people to pull such a 'card'; but perhaps as it had nothing to do with them anyway, they were sympathetic and gave you the (honest) best advice. And glad it worked for you.

Well, I guess that's where OWE status shines through - if I had a SNAFU on say an AA-CX connection, I'm sure the AA EXP line will be there to 'rescue' me too, much better than the SATS AA ground agents at HKG that don't care at all.

And yes I have had terrible experience at Aisle J ticketing (they refused to print an e-ticket receipt for a 125-stock CX redemption I had). Said they can't touch BAEC tickets?! Anyway it was more of an attitude problem and now I remember like you I went to CX ticketing (in Aisle A) and again they couldn't do much but were infinitely more helpful.

10 years ago (when I was a kid) I had some sort of special connection with BA (long expired and enhanced away by WW) and the HKG ground/airport office staff were really able to do phenomenal things for me/my family every time. I thought BA HKG staff are still mostly in house tho? Guess times have changed (and so have my flying patterns and carrier preferences...)

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can see your line of argument for deploying the DYKWIA card - which probably uniquely works in HKG, though I would wonder about its over-use there -and the Sympathy card - which probably has more global eligibility. But it is probably best just to leave the lounge a bit earlier.....
It uniquely works in HKG...either way for good or for bad I guess as someone that speaks the local language (like OP) we have a bit more leverage (again, both ways) but it could go the wrong way easily too.

Originally Posted by neofung
I found in BA website that something called oneworld Global Support teams in Hong Kong, so one may see if they can help

LOL, all I see is how the transfer desks for different OW airlines are scattered all over the place.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
OP has some big balls, very impressed.

I once had a bizarre situation where I'd booked with QF Sydney-Heathrow and BA Gatwick-Bridgetown. The inbound with QF was late so missed the BA flight and was rerouted on VS to Miami and onwards with AA to Bridgetown. Anyway the VS was late into Miami so missed the last connection of the night and absolutely no-one knew what to do with me, AA didn't think it was their problem, nor did VS or BA... After being passed from pillar to post the AA staff eventually took pity on me, gave me a hotel voucher and rebooked for the following morning.
Misconnects on a different airline within the same alliance doesn't always go as smoothly as we'd like.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm glad you made it to Chengdu, I hope you get to see the adorable pandas, but if time doesn't permit, some Sichuan Peppercorn Chicken would be next on my list. There's a set of semi-hawker stalls next to the Crowne Plaza which are good for this.

I had an extended nap in Dorsett Grand Chengdu -- I slept between 4 and 7pm so I didn't do much Just went to the shopping centre in Tianfu square, had dinner and then did some shopping and went to an arcade shop. Still haven't had Peppercorn Chicken yet!!

It would have been best to just leave earlier (I was actually hosting my friend -- we hit The Pier F to have shower then walked to Qantas Lounge to have Roasted Pork with Rice then headed back to Pier F for three course dinner again) but in terms of the "card" I think they were well used. I didn't think of my status much but the CX agent noticed I am OWE by the luggage tag (the plastic card form the post indeed)and asked if I played the DYKWIA card yet. I said I heard stores of those who use it and I don't want to use it as it feels rude but then the agent said: "I suppose it's time to practise it out yourself". Another agent commented "we always see DM (CX OWEs) complaining about miss connection and asked a shouting or two we will then try sorting them out".

Originally Posted by Strawb
I missed my flight in 2015 when I was at the
Next day I arrived to check in for my flight and was told to go to the ticketing desk as my ticket hadn't been reissued. I was told that CX couldn't touch my booking as it was a 125 ticket. I assumed that BA wouldn't change the booking for me as it was within 24hrs of departure (for changes to Avios redemptions) so did not call them. In any case it was early in HKG and the BA office there was still closed. I had to buy a new ticket on PR to fly that morning as CX is so expensive!

It's very easy to forget where you are when you are in the Pier and definitely make sure you set your alarm when deciding to have a nap!
You should have phoned BA and see what they can do -- certainly the Aisle J ticketing desk would be of no use but I suppose BA has some undisclosed flexibility. They will most likely refused you first but trying gently apply the tactics I used and see what happens.

The Pier F is so Amazing that even if the departure gate is 1 I will still head to gate 64 for the food, view and massage.

Originally Posted by neofung

They (KA/CX agents) did mention this hotline and did phone. The answer was that there's nothing they can do either. I was asked to phone up London office and thankfully I know the number off my mind and used Skype to dial this Freephone.

Last edited by cysyuen; Mar 12, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
That just lost all sympathy I might have had, and had I been one of those up therad that helped you out earlier I would feel pretty peeved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.