Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
Not crazy from the POV of BA...
Really? One of the differentiators between CE and ET is the service element. If this goes away then why pay more for CE? In my experience the cost differential between ET and CE is usually more than 1 or 2 BOB beers.

Lounges - you can use Priority Pass for Lounge access in T5 now and can usually get it at remote stations too.
Luggage - status will get you extra bags to match CE allowances.

As other aspects of the CE trip can be countered (or equalled) with status and/or paid lounge membership, I would put forth that maintaining the service differential between CE and ET is more important now than it ever has been in the past...but perhaps BA don't want to continue to offer the CE cabin as removing it would give them additional seats to sell?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Worcester
Not crazy from the POV of BA...
Thought you only had to pay in CE if you wanted something which was not offered FOC, i.e. a pack of percy pigs. Not a beer or G+T which should be FOC!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Thought you only had to pay in CE if you wanted something which was not offered FOC, i.e. a pack of percy pigs.
Only if you are one of the first two people to ask for it, and on the outbound [ex-LHR] flight.

Otherwise, tough luck!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA6948
On top of disgruntled ET passengers, this debacle is also affecting CE passengers.
Originally Posted by mrow
Really? One of the differentiators between CE and ET is the service element.
The problem, I believe, is that before, the CE & ET drinks were pooled---BA expected to give out two beers to CE, but 100 to ET. If on the off chance you want more than two as a CE pax, it is easy to dip into the ET share.

Now ET & CE drinks are segregated. They won't give away BOB drinks to CE pax because they are from a different stock.

...but perhaps BA don't want to continue to offer the CE cabin as removing it would give them additional seats to sell?
BA are expanding CE to be on domestic flights. Mr Walsh said at the last meeting that CE remains profitable in Europe. They aren't going to get rid of CE. They might just make it more and more rubbish though.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good question. I must have misinterpreted the thread. I had assumed it was for Flyertalkers experiences only but it would seem I was wrong.
No I think you are right - I think it is to report back experiences, so one or two of my posts may have been OT too. The other thread is for discussion of the policy.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
On my short but full SH flight the captain announced that some turbulence was to expected and that hence there would be no hot drinks and no BoB. CE passengers only got their salad and a cold drink. I think the captain saved the situation for the CC, no turbulence occured during the short flight.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 14, 2017 at 10:02 am Reason: Inflammatory remarks
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by vibguy

I think the captain saved the situation for the CC, no turbulence occured during the short flight.

Sounds like it !!

Captain could have at least had the decency to throw the aircraft around a bit to make the story more convincing (all within safe parameters of course ....)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Calchas
The problem, I believe, is that before, the CE & ET drinks were pooled---BA expected to give out two beers to CE, but 100 to ET. If on the off chance you want more than two as a CE pax, it is easy to dip into the ET share.

Now ET & CE drinks are segregated. They won't give away BOB drinks to CE pax because they are from a different stock.
I'll have to report back on my next trip as to whether they run out of anything in CE.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Today's BA446 LHR-AMS

A321 with curtain set behind row 7. I'd estimate about 50% load in ET. Service was pretty snappy but not a lot of takers which isn't surprising given the time of day/length of flight. Maybe ten or so at a rough guess. Service took about 8 mins from trolleys out to trolleys in.

Timings:
- Pushed back 1426
- Take off 1450
- Service started at 1457
- Complimentary waters distributed 1505
- Service complete 1505.
- Crossed over the coast of Suffolk 1509
- Rubbish collection 1515
- Passed thru heavy turbulence 1525-28
- Ten min to landing 1526
- Crossed coast at Zandvoort 1528
- Cabin secured 1531
- Touchdown 1537
- Parked D26 1543

I'll review the actual product on the return. I skipped breakfast this morning, had lunch in the lounge so was not hungry during the flight

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 14, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I'll have to report back on my next trip as to whether they run out of anything in CE.
+1

I am doing B2B to GOT next week [providing no strike cancellation], ET out, CE back.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
You will be able to get hot items on the longer domestic flights like GLA and EDI.

The flights that the hot food is not going to be on are flights like LBA, CDG, BRU, MAN etc. Just the very short flights.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Interesting!

So that was an A319 on one of the shortest routes. Despite not doing an Avios payment before, I'd imagine the crew had done this a few times already and did get the service completed fairly swiftly, albeit with not many items sold. How full was the flight, would you say?

The menu has a little marker on it, for items which are not sold on short flights (undefined). Bacon rolls are in that category, and given that it can take 15 minutes to organise, I imagine bacon rolls won't be on the Domestics. Though INV may get lucky!
No hot fresh items served on flights with under 30 minutes AST (available service time).

There are, ex-LHR: AMS / BRU / CDG / LBA / MAN / NCL / ​ORY / RTM

Ex-LGW: JER / AMS

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TWEED1A
No hot fresh items served on flights with under 30 minutes AST (available service time).

Hope that helps.
It does. Thanks for the info! ^
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Many thanks, I've updated the Information thread accordingly. It's just two items affected, the hot bacon roll, and the mozzarella and tomato focaccia, while presumably the porridge is available hot on all services.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I've now done 2 LBA and 2 MAN sectors in the last 4 days, and hasn't exactly been plain sailing. I estimate:
- Flight loads all in the 80-100% range
- Between 8 and 25 BoB transactions across the 4 flights
- About 33 - 50% of passengers left unserved due to time constraints

I had a quick chat with the cabin manager on the MAN flight about how things were going, and he shared two main concerns with me:
i) over half of passengers have been trying to pay with cash, despite the announcements, which slows things down as they go scrabbling around in their bags and overheads for wallets and purses, or when transactions need to be abandoned with associated apologies and
ii) that he is fully aware of how to use the new software features, but is slowed down by out-dated, counter-intuitive, clunky technology that wastes a lot of time during the payment process.

Room for improvement clearly seems to be the bottom line.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

Hope that helps.
Definitely a downgrade for those who fly from/to NAN/NCL/LBA/JERN(vs. Hot panini). And BA will never be able to serve the whole plane on these flights even if the technology improves. You have to take into consideration the time to:
- take orders
- search for items and serve
- complete the transaction
- hand the receipt

So if things improve any sale could take 2 minutes. So that's max 15 orders. Per trolley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.