Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by Steve99w
My question is do I need to exit the airside and re-enter for the morning flight ? or can I stay airside if I have checked in already ?
As Karfa says you can stay airside. In terms of the best place to stay, you can head to the GoSleep pods just beyond gate 31 (though I'm personally not convinced it is worth the cost as I found them rather hot and didn't sleep very well), as long as you can access the Schengen area of the terminal on your passport, or there are lots of areas of seating that you can try to sleep on. If you don't want to use the pods, there are bench seats in both Schengen and non-Schengen areas, but if you stay near gate 36 (where BA798 normally ends up) there are some reclining seats which seem more comfortable than the benches, though this area of the terminal isn't designed for sleeping so it's quite bright and there will be people moving around. Given the timing of your second flight I can understand why you don't want to book a hotel for a v short night, but be prepared for not getting a good nights sleep if you do stay airside.
Hope that helps
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:33 pm

Hi all, never done a run just for tier points before, but I'm tantalizingly close to gold this year, and hoping for some ideas to get me there. I have three more returns booked that'll take me to 1100TP before my year ends on 8th October. I'll be here:

London until July 19
Los Angeles until August 15
London until Sept 7
Toronto until Sept 17
Los Angeles until Oct 5
London after that

I can theoretically travel during all these stays EXCEPT Toronto - there's no leaving that city.

Last night, I booked a First return on AA to HNL for £900, thinking the 210TP each way would get me where I needed to go (with the side benefit of a few nice days on the islands) but I soon learned the tier point earnings have changed (the BA calculator is very unclear on this) so I've cancelled the trip. Ideally I'm looking to do this in a straight shot of 2 or 3 days travel, so the idea of adding another trip to get the remaining 120 didn't appeal. I cancelled the trip under the 24-hour refund policy to buy me some more time to think about options.

So my question to those in the know is: if you were in my position, what would you think about for the shortest/cheapest way to get me these 400 points? Or maybe even a cheap, but long-winded approach, if that's the only option.

The only idea I can come up with right now is a First return to JFK from LAX on AA, which is A, and therefore should net me 420TP, right? But that runs £1500 or £3.57/point. Is there anything more economical?

Weekend travel is easiest for me, but I am not ruling out weekday.

I know, I know. I've left this until the most complicated period of the year, cost-wise, but I basically didn't travel on BA or partners from October until April this year, and then wound up taking a lot of flights in short order.

I'm forecasting earning between 1100-1400TP next year for just work travel, so am I being nuts to try and squeeze it in this year? Should I be content with silver and just let things happen naturally, and try and line up some good deals to make up the difference, next year?

Any/all advice gratefully received!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), GGL 2021-, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Hi all, any thoughts on this itinerary, particularly around the A330 vs. A380 and also how good/bad is the 757 BOS-LAX?
Attached Images  
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
It's the 737 you'll be flying BOS-LAX and it's quite a nice aeroplane. The newer models have seatback IFE and if it's one of those you'll have a good flight.

I quite like American First Class - service usually good and they like a Brit on board

Good luck!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott TE, Skyteam Silver
Originally Posted by M_at
Just got YUL-PHL-PHX-KOA-LAX-CLT-YUL I/I/I/I/I/I on AA booked through BookWithMatrix and Priceline for $1,180 giving 640TP or $1.80 per TP

Plus I get 4 nights in Hawaii
M_at. What dates did you use?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:09 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
SJU - LAX

Apologies if this has been mentioned already - I did have a look but didn't see anything.

I just wanted to reference this post and props to PurdueFlyer for bringing it to our attention in the mileage run forum.

May be relevant to anyone in the SE USA who can get to San Juan, or I believe it is also valid for ex LAX to SJU as well.
I just managed to book a SJU - LAX via MIA (77W on the MIA-LAX sector ^), 2 hr turnaround and back again - via CLT and MIA for $723, which at today's exchange rate is roughly £1.40 per TP (400TP's for the trip) which seems reasonable value at the moment.
It seems to be only available on tuesdays and wednesdays but still lots of availability through October on some random days I checked.
Time your flights well, and you can do the whole trip ex MIA over 2 days, overnighting back from LAX, without any hotel stays. I managed it.

Anyway, just mentioning in case it may be useful to anyone out there, looking for an ex-US TP run.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:53 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Quick question:

LHR-LCA is 2022 miles/80 TP according to the BA website and a shorthaul+ route, but Owen Rudge says 2036 and 140 TP.

Would anyone have a definitive answer?

Plus, why is it a SH+ route if it's 2000+ miles?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by exmachina
Hi all, never done a run just for tier points before, but I'm tantalizingly close to gold this year, and hoping for some ideas to get me there. I have three more returns booked that'll take me to 1100TP before my year ends on 8th October. I'll be here:

London until July 19
Los Angeles until August 15
London until Sept 7
Toronto until Sept 17
Los Angeles until Oct 5
London after that

I can theoretically travel during all these stays EXCEPT Toronto - there's no leaving that city.

Last night, I booked a First return on AA to HNL for £900, thinking the 210TP each way would get me where I needed to go (with the side benefit of a few nice days on the islands) but I soon learned the tier point earnings have changed (the BA calculator is very unclear on this) so I've cancelled the trip. Ideally I'm looking to do this in a straight shot of 2 or 3 days travel, so the idea of adding another trip to get the remaining 120 didn't appeal. I cancelled the trip under the 24-hour refund policy to buy me some more time to think about options.

So my question to those in the know is: if you were in my position, what would you think about for the shortest/cheapest way to get me these 400 points? Or maybe even a cheap, but long-winded approach, if that's the only option.

The only idea I can come up with right now is a First return to JFK from LAX on AA, which is A, and therefore should net me 420TP, right? But that runs £1500 or £3.57/point. Is there anything more economical?

Weekend travel is easiest for me, but I am not ruling out weekday.

I know, I know. I've left this until the most complicated period of the year, cost-wise, but I basically didn't travel on BA or partners from October until April this year, and then wound up taking a lot of flights in short order.

I'm forecasting earning between 1100-1400TP next year for just work travel, so am I being nuts to try and squeeze it in this year? Should I be content with silver and just let things happen naturally, and try and line up some good deals to make up the difference, next year?

Any/all advice gratefully received!

You can do this a lot cheaper than £1500, BUT I wouldn't call 400TPs "close" to Gold. What's the benefit of Gold for you, vs the cost of any run?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
hi, I found this on ITA Matrix, which is exactly what I want to do, but I can't find the price, manually creating a multi-city itinerary in AA.com, or even using BookWithMatrix and the 3 booking sites it provides.
It comes at around £1850 each.

What could be the problem?

Last edited by Lovecraft; Jun 5, 2017 at 2:48 am Reason: Forgot to include price.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I'm a Bronze member based in HK. I'm 1 0tier points and 2 eligible flights short from Silver. I tried to look up the BA codeshare flight to Ho Chi Ming City, but it says error in getting a price quote on all days. I wonder if this doesn't work, are there any tier point run suggestions to obtain Silver? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by exmachina

Have a look at my post a few above - there are deals between LAX and SJU to be had flying on a Tuesday or Wednesday, right up to the end of the year. I booked the reverse trip for $723 in September, with the return routing via CLT and MIA for the extra 40TP's to net 400 in total. Could be worth a look, and should be available ex LAX as well. I can do ex SJU without a hotel stop - not sure about doing it ex LAX.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Have a look at my post a few above - there are deals between LAX and SJU to be had flying on a Tuesday or Wednesday, right up to the end of the year. I booked the reverse trip for $723 in September, with the return routing via CLT and MIA for the extra 40TP's to net 400 in total. Could be worth a look, and should be available ex LAX as well. I can do ex SJU without a hotel stop - not sure about doing it ex LAX.
Isn't it (140+40+40) x 2 = 440 total with a CLT stop? You can do it ex-LA as well for $721.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Xonus
Isn't it (140+40+40) x 2 = 440 total with a CLT stop? You can do it ex-LA as well for $721.
I wish - I only managed to get the CLT connection on the return, not the out, hence why I mention I got the 77W on the MIA-LAX sector, so just the 400 TP for me on this run.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:55 am

Hi everyone,

Need to earn 90TP by July 8th to hit Silver. My current best bet that I can see is the LON-HEL-TLL run, outbound and back either side of that weekend so I would hit the next TP year running and also make a trip of it. But budget won't stretch to the Finnair A350 this late in the day which seems to have doubled since I last looked, so I'd be on BA metal. Just wondering if this is the best/easiest way to do it, or if there's any worthwhile last-minute alternatives I'm missing?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by mangochutney
My current best bet that I can see is the LON-HEL-TLL run, outbound and back either side of that weekend so I would hit the next TP year running and also make a trip of it.
To be honest, I think your plan is a sensible one. You'll be 110 TP up for your next TP year (and should get a few more Avios as Silver on the return leg too).

You could always do a different SH+ return for 160 TP, but I am not aware of any that are particularly cheap at present, and LHR-HEL-TLL return for £330-odd is still very good value per TP (just not as good as it used to be). As other SH+ destination over that weekend, to straddle your TP year, would also mean you're "only" up by 70TP rather than 110TP.

Tallinn is also a great destination for a 2-4 day weekend break, compared to (for example) Greek islands where you might want to spend longer to enjoy the sun. I'd say go with TLL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.