Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Welcome to Flyertalk, and congrats on posting this in the right thread too!

It's a bit hard to find out now. The info is only publicly available / traceable for a few days. What was mentioned by the flight crew?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Currently sat on the delay BA209 as a baggage handler has driven into our aircraft and we have a 'dint' - I am assuming that will come under safety and therefore be ineligible if this keeps delaying?

When the pilot sounds fed up you know you are in for a long wait!!

aks120
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aks120
..... a baggage handler has driven into our aircraft and we have a 'dint' - I am assuming that will come under safety and therefore be ineligible if this keeps delaying?....
BA and the ground staff have a principal-agent relationship, so the baggage handler is not a third party.
These are not extraordinary circumstances.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1210mk2
BA1321 12-Feb, 2 hour delay, missed my LHR connection on CX. Ended up on virgin 10 hours later. Anyone know reason for the delay? BA already taken 2 weeks with no reply on EU261 claim.
BA1321 is a flight code I do know by heart! That's NCL-LHR, and yes it's tends to be best to make a note of what the captain said in his first address to the cabin as to the cause of the delay, thereafter we have about 3 days to find out online, after that it vanishes from public websites. It can take a few weeks for claims to get a response, but you can ring up Customer Relations if you want to speed things up, or use Twitter.

Welcome to Flyertalk 1210mk2, welcome to the BA forum, I hope that we will see more of you here in the future.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Slightly off topic,but I need a little help.Mrs rapidex was delayed out of BKK on her way home with Finnair.This caused her to miss her HEL-LHR connection and forced an overnight in HEL.She was delayed about 12 hours,and put in a claim under EU261 for 600 Euros,which Finnair acknowledged receipt of.

We have been ignored by Finnair since,and as Finnair do not participate in CEDR,we wish to send a letter before action.Anybody have an UK address for Finnair?They have lots of form on this matter,but the ticket was purchased in the UK for LHR-HEL-BKK-HEL-LHR so I assume the UK courts have jurisdiction.
Thanks guys,before I got a chance to dash off a letter,Finnair came back to my wife and offered 600 Euro cash or an 800 Euro transferable voucher for future Finnair flights.She took the voucher.it will part pay her next trip home to see her mum.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by richardwft
BA and the ground staff have a principal-agent relationship, so the baggage handler is not a third party.
These are not extraordinary circumstances.
Sorry - does that mean this could be eligible for a claim or it won't be? I did not quite understand.

aks120
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aks120
Sorry - does that mean this could be eligible for a claim or it won't be? I did not quite understand.

aks120
It could be eligible. There is CJEU precedent in this area too.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA1321 is a flight code I do know by heart! That's NCL-LHR, and yes it's tends to be best to make a note of what the captain said in his first address to the cabin as to the cause of the delay, thereafter we have about 3 days to find out online, after that it vanishes from public websites. It can take a few weeks for claims to get a response, but you can ring up Customer Relations if you want to speed things up, or use Twitter.

Welcome to Flyertalk 1210mk2, welcome to the BA forum, I hope that we will see more of you here in the future.
Thank you sir. They told me on arrival at the check-in that the delay was crew rest from the evening before, but were not any more specific than that.

I believe the day earlier, Saturday the 11th, there was some mix fleet strike causing a little disruption, but this is pure speculation on the delay from my side.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

OK that figures since that flight plugs into the night stop and the crew must take the night stop hours even if the crew themselves want to get moving, which typically they do - they'll be late getting home. But in any case this is eligible for EC261.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
OK that figures since that flight plugs into the night stop and the crew must take the night stop hours even if the crew themselves want to get moving, which typically they do - they'll be late getting home. But in any case this is eligible for EC261.
Sure, I assume the same. The Saturday night arrival of BA1336 should have been 1845, flight stats reports it arrived gate at 2010. Thats only 1hr 25 min late. Not that major. The sunday morning departure of BA1321 was 0750. I have no idea what rest time is needed but surely 12hrs is enough. On arrival at check at 0630 I was told out right there is a 2hr delay on the flight due to crew rest.

What concerns me is Saturday the 11th was one of the strike days. So could they use this as an excuse not to pay me? Strike knock on effect?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Sure, I assume the same. The Saturday night arrival or BA1336 should have been 1845, flight stats reports it arrived gate at 2010. Thats only 1hr 25 min late. Not that major. The sunday morning departure of BA1321 was 0750. I have no idea what rest time is needed but surely 12hrs is enough. On arrival at check at 0630 I was told out right there is a 2hr delay on the flight due to crew rest.

What concerns me is Saturday the 11th was one of the strike days. So could they use this as an excuse not to pay me? Strike knock on effect?
It's clearly isn't strike related. MF only fly to NCL once in a blue moon, twice in my experience. But yes, they do need the full rest time by Regulation, and BA adheres to that like a hawk. 90 minutes delay in would typically lead to at least an hour delay out, and while it is unusual for this to happen it certainly isn't unprecedented. But anyway, it is well into EC261 elibility
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
A possible EU261 case here that I'm not sure about.

I am (was) on tomorrow afternoons BA2763 at 18:50, now cancelled and proactively rebooked on to the BA2765 at 21:15.

My ticket is AMS-LGW/LHR-ORD, continuing on Saturday in F as a (long) transfer, not a stopover.

I had plans for tomorrow evening which are now screwed up and I'd rather just go AMS-LHR and onward on Saturday. Obviously BA would allow the rebooking but I would not arrive in ORD any later than originally planned.

The question is, is the cancelled BA2763 EU261 eligible? That would at least cover the hotel in AMS and the car hire in LGW that I will now forfeit.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
..is the cancelled BA2763 EU261 eligible? ..
Have they given you a reason for the cancellation?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
The question is, is the cancelled BA2763 EU261 eligible? That would at least cover the hotel in AMS and the car hire in LGW that I will now forfeit.
I can't see this as eligible, if this is one booking, since unless I've misunderstood something here, you are leaving later, arriving at the same time, so no compensation in that scenario.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I can't see this as eligible, if this is one booking, since unless I've misunderstood something here, you are leaving later, arriving at the same time, so no compensation in that scenario.
Yes, that's why I'm unsure. But I was supposed to have a 20 hour layover including an evening in London which has now been wiped out as well as non refundable car hire and hotels which will be lost. Now, my Amex insurance may well cover those, but it is still a PITA.

They have given no reason, just a text message to go to MMB and accept the rebooking, which when I tried to do does not actually show any choice in the matter.

All a bit shoddy really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.