Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lgflyer
Thanks! It was not my case, but having separate tickets would have helped? You could be a bit cheeky, claim the compensation on the 1st ticket and say you decided not to travel due to the delay? And still take the train and board the 2nd ticket?
You would be out by a train ticket though even if you have got your 1st flight refunded.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
You would be out by a train ticket though even if you have got your 1st flight refunded.
Sure, but the train cost should be less than the €250 compensation
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sure, but the train cost should be less than the €250 compensation
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks! It was not my case, but having separate tickets would have helped? You could be a bit cheeky, claim the compensation on the 1st ticket and say you decided not to travel due to the delay? And still take the train and board the 2nd ticket?
Despite all the fondness for misfiled fares and TP running, you won't make any friends on this forum like this, trust me.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:28 am

Apologies if this has been answered, I did read the FAQ and didn't find a definitive answer. If we flew IAH-LHR-HAM and arrived in LHR, but then didn't get to HAM for three days due to the IT meltdown. Is the compensation due €250 or €600 per person?

BA have offered €250, but I thought it was the entire flight length that counted, not the individual leg?

Hoping for a link we can quote back to BA to make them pay up, if of course we are due the full amount.

Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
BA has sent me a third and final refusal for payment relating to an LHR-IST flight delayed 3.5 hours because of a lack of flight crew. (Cabin crew, aircraft and passengers were all ready and waiting at the gate, but no pilots...)

BA says the delay was due to other flights being delayed due to weather, which a) isn't considered a valid extraordinary circumstance and b) is false. Our eventual captain was quite clear the delay was caused by lack of flight crew; he told us he was called in from standby.

Is it worth going through CEDR or should I just go straight to MCOL?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'd say straight to MCOL. It is a clear-cut scenario IMO.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by dakaix
BA.com's guidance for cancellations states that they won't reimburse "travel from a different departure point or to a different destination than your original booking, we won't cover any expenses for travel between these or any other consequential expenses, e.g. car hire".

Is this accurate as per EC261, and I cannot claim for the hire costs?
As an answer for the record for my question, BA have agreed to pay the car hire for GVA-LYS (despite the statement on the website).

I called CR to check whether the claims had been received, as I didn't receive email confirmations for either of my cases, but the agent suggested she could deal with them both there and then. The full amounts for hotel's, Skype and car hire were approved.

A minor argument was needed about the exchange rate used, however eventually they agreed to use the one from the bank statements I had provided as evidence. Apparently their "standard process" is to use the rate on the day of processing the claim, regardless of what evidence you might have.

All said a good result, and looking forward to £450 winging its way into my account shortly.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FortyTwo
BA have offered €250, but I thought it was the entire flight length that counted, not the individual leg?

Hoping for a link we can quote back to BA to make them pay up, if of course we are due the full amount.
You may want to check some of the more recent posts in this thread which cover a similar ground, and give the back story. But the short answer is that rightly or wrongly BA will pay the shorter compensation amount if the IAH flight arrived on time (ish) for the connection. CEDR has given at least one ruling in favour of the longer distance calculation, and MCOL (if you are UK based) may do the same. But unless you're prepared to escalate, BA will stick to 250€.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You may want to check some of the more recent posts in this thread which cover a similar ground, and give the back story. But the short answer is that rightly or wrongly BA will pay the shorter compensation amount if the IAH flight arrived on time (ish) for the connection. CEDR has given at least one ruling in favour of the longer distance calculation, and MCOL (if you are UK based) may do the same. But unless you're prepared to escalate, BA will stick to 250€.
Thanks cws, IAH flight arrived on time, though was stuck waiting for a gate for an hour plus. Not enough to push it into 3 hours late though.

We'll go back to BA and question it before taking it further, an extra €700 is worth escalating :-)

Found rstruthe posts and will quote the relevant ruling, thanks for the heads up.

Shame BA aren't doing all they can to regain customers trust :-(

Last edited by FortyTwo; Jul 6, 2017 at 2:41 pm
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA 193 LHR-DFW cancelled on July 8th (side note, anyone know why?).

I was notified approx 21 hours before the flight, and moved everything to exact same flights 24 hours later on July 9th, including domestic USA connection (this was the first option available, as everything is sold out now).

Am I right in thinking I can claim for this?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:22 am

Hoping someone can clarify the following.

We were flying LAS>LHR>GLA on the same through ticket. Due to a mix up by BA we were delayed over 9 hours for our connecting flight to GLA.

BA are offering us 250 Euros each, as our LAS flight arrived on time into LHR and the delay was only on the connecting flight.

Is this correct or should we be entitled to 600 Euros each?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
See three posts above.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:45 am

Thanks. Sorry on my mobile so didn't really check the thread first.

I've gone back to BA to push them.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pocalypse
BA 193 LHR-DFW cancelled on July 8th (side note, anyone know why?).
[Snip]
Am I right in thinking I can claim for this?
Well it does depend on the reason for the cancellation but because this was departing from Heathrow, on the face of it you appear to have grounds for Article 7 compensation. You can claim after the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.