Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
After about a month I would suggest you should call up.
Thank you kindly.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by nesnith
Glad to hear you are making good progress on this. For people in the US, how is BA sending the funds, check, or wire transfer? I also wonder who is doing the currency conversion, BA or the bank?
My experience with a claim from the US.

One minute after I had submitted the online form I received my case number.

15 hours later I received an email stating that my claim had been approved and a check had been issued. The check arrived 5 days later.

The check was from BA Customer Relations in Jamaica, NY, drawn on a US bank, in US$.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by HilFly

15 hours later I received an email stating that my claim had been approved and a check had been issued. The check arrived 5 days later.

The check was from BA Customer Relations in Jamaica, NY, drawn on a US bank, in US$.
Sounds like the drinks are on you
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Received notice that compensation for both my expenses and EU compensation hit my bank account today. Basically 22 days from filing the claims to receiving the funds. At times I admit I was a bit impatient (especially when listening to other accounts of very swift claim processing) but, in reality, 22 days is really a solid turnaround time.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jpsartre
I had an almost identical situation to yours that weekend (although it involved a cancellation and then a delay to the rebooked flight rather than 2 cancellations) and BA agreed to compensate me for both.
i once (last october) had a LCY-AMS canx on a LCY-AMS-HKG (staffing) then got rerouted to LHR-HKG that was delayed due to tech reasons. They only compensated me once.
Did you just apply for both cases separately and got compensated?

Will i need to go thru MCOL (I can easily get a UK Address)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kaka
i once (last october) had a LCY-AMS canx on a LCY-AMS-HKG (staffing) then got rerouted to LHR-HKG that was delayed due to tech reasons. They only compensated me once.

Will i need to go thru MCOL (I can easily get a UK Address)
That looks like 2 different cases, so yes I would claim for that in 2 separate claims. So get your second claim in, having worked out from the first claim what is being compensated. Hopefully you won't need to go to MCOL for that, on the face of it, this looks like 2 unrelated incidents.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
i'm looking for suggestions on how long I should wait for refund team to contact me about refund calculations for a recent downgrade from First to CW?

My Case Ref was created by airport DM on 30th May, and CR were in touch re downgrade compensation within 10 days. They advised they'd been in touch with refund team and they will be in touch "shortly".

I've read that there's some consideration of Status for prioritisation. I'm Bronze and have bookings that will flip me to Silver at end of Sept.

Is it time to chase?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Degsy328
Is it time to chase?
I'd leave it a month. The refund team looks at this via a very manual process, they take several weeks at the best of times, and I imagine they are currently overwhelmed. By all means send a DM via Twitter after a few weeks, or call the Contact Centre. Refund calculation comes in 2 forms, the amount that BA will calculate, and the EC261 calculation. You will find examples upthread as to how to calculate the EC261 version, it's possible the BA internal recalculation will be a higher figure.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by kaka
I made two separate claims since delay and cancellation claims are separate options in the dropdown menu. However, they had linked the claims in their response so it's not like there was an oversight on their part that led to compensation twice by mistake. Looking at the regulations I don't really see an argument for why a cancellation and delay (or two cancellations) should not be treated as two separate evens that would each be compensatable.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jpsartre
I made two separate claims since delay and cancellation claims are separate options in the dropdown menu. However, they had linked the claims in their response so it's not like there was an oversight on their part that led to compensation twice by mistake. Looking at the regulations I don't really see an argument for why a cancellation and delay (or two cancellations) should not be treated as two separate evens that would each be compensatable.
thanks jpsartre and cws. Ill report when i get the claim in

btw, BA transmitted me the first claim (cancellation) in HKD into my HKG bank account last december after an error (not on my part) that caused the first transfer to be bounced.
so same should apply to the USD question above
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by HilFly

Very frustrating to hear as I am also based in the US and it's been nearly 2 weeks since I filed my claim and I have heard nothing (other than the automated case number e-mail) - but I'm also glad you were compensated quickly.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I filed my claim and had the reference number on the 30th May. Nothing since.

As I said earlier, got my expenses rejected at around that time as BA don't pay them yet seem to be doing so to others without issue.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by xenole
As I said earlier, got my expenses rejected at around that time as BA don't pay them yet seem to be doing so to others without issue.
I also had all my compensation requests rejected. BA even refused to compensate for my additional ground transportation costs, despite that I had to fly into LGW rather than LHR.

The inconsistency is incredibly frustrating and gives the impression BA doesn't care at all.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:54 am

I had a cancelled flight last summer impacting the 2nd leg of a YYZ to AMS trip. Ultimately I arrived in AMS about 7 hours late. I was travelling BA first class and the Club Europe. On arrival at LHR there was no notification of the cancelled flight until I connected to wifi. The only option for rescheduling was a 7 hour later flight sitting at the very back of the plane.
No one from BA mentioned any EU261 compensation.
Just happy to reach our destination for vacation I didn't even consider anything except the refund for the downgrade.
Months later I realized we had never received compensation. I filled with BA who passed it around, ignored it, and didn't respond to various enquiries.

After 3 months I went to CEDR who accepted my case. My claim was for compensation from YYZ to AMS plus involuntary downgrade. BA filed a defence with CEDR stating my compensation should only be from LHR to AMS as YYZ flight had arrived in LHR on time. They also claimed compensation for this level had been paid via wire transfer to two different accounts.
After 90 days with no resolution from CEDR I went to the CAA. They visited CEDR on my behalf to move things along.

In the end CEDR found in my favour that compensation was due for the entire yyz to ams as that was my ticket (600€). They denied the 75% downgrade compensation as they claimed I could have waiting until the next day for club europe.
BA was given 1 week to prove the initial claimed payment had been made and to pay the balance. BA then admitted the first payment had not been made, and sent us each a cheque for the full amount awarded within a few days. (Approx $860 CAD)

In the end we had a nice day touring Windsor, an extra meal in the Concorde room, a massage, and despite the annoying stall tactics came out with the due compensation.

What's the moral? Don't give up. BA will try to stall and ignore you and hope you just go away, but there are options. CEDR is a service that costs you nothing (BA pays the costs) and seems quite fair in their approach. The CAA will get involved if it's a reasonable request after all other options are exhausted.
Don't just accept what BA offers if it's not what your owed!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by rstruthe
In the end CEDR found in my favour that compensation was due for the entire yyz to ams as that was my ticket (600€).
that is a good one to know....many people on here have been told that if the first flight was on time, compensation based on the second leg only (which is generally a €250 rate)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.