Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This seems to have happened to a number of people in this incident, and there are a few similar cases a bit upthread and in the IT meltdown thread too.

Essentially if you are reticketed on to another flight (which would be the norm here) then my reading of the Regulation is that you are entitled to compensation for each disrupted service. So that would suggest two claims here. There is a chance that BA will see this as just one incident with an extended delay, and after the 3 or 4 hour timelimits there is no further compensation no matter how long the delay.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors,
Hello everyone, I was delayed on a flight today due to a technical problem and would like to know what, if anything I am able to do.

details LHR sch dep 14.00 LBA sch arr 15.05: LHR act dep 16.12 LBA act arr 17.10

we did not deplane other than changing to the substitute aircraft

the only thing I saw of any relevance to this was in the timeline about delayed flights over 2 hours getting drink and meal vouchers. I asked the crew about this and was directed to BA.com. Is BA.com the way to go or is this even worth pursuing!

Thanks in advance for you help

Jon
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by YorkshireJon
Hello everyone, I was delayed on a flight today due to a technical problem and would like to know what, if anything I am able to do.

details LHR sch dep 14.00 LBA sch arr 15.05: LHR act dep 16.12 LBA act arr 17.10
I suspect the staff didn't have a clue what their EC261 responsibilities were. You are not entitled to Article 7 compensation since you didn't hit the three hour mark. But you are correct that you are entitled to reasonable food and drink (2 hour cut off for that for shorter flights). Now I've not seen a clear representation of this, but if the crew don't offer this then I think you are entitled to purchase items from the Buy on Board menu and then to claim it back from BA. If you pay with Avios then this is an easy transaction for them to process. However I'm not aware of a single case of this happening or being successfully refunded by BA. If someone has actually done this it would be good to hear from them.

If you didn't actually purchase anything then you can't claim something after the event, in terms of EC261. However you can certainly try asking for customer remediation for the delay, I wouldn't expect much to come from that.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors,
Thanks CWS, I did not purchase anything from the Buy on Board menu. The crew did give us water and the captain was very proactive about keeping us informed which I very much appreciate as I personally find that 'Not Knowing' is what frustrates me.
I think the effort involved in customer remediation will not justify the outcome, I'll just open up a bottle of beer and enjoy that instead!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends, BA may be correct here. If you look upthread, you will notice that BA (and most airlines) treat long -> short flights as if it was the short flight was cancelled, if the problem was solely on the short leg. As also indicated upthread, this is open to legal debate, nevertheless this is what BA does in reality. So on the face of it, they have paid the right amount here (given their normal approach) if the long flight was more-or-less ok. However, if the delay offloading in LHR meant that you would anyway have missed your connection and been more than 3 hours late thereby, then it's the 400€ limit that should apply. If there was a long connection time anyway then you are on the lower amount. If this is looking a bit murky, feel free to put your scheduled and actual timings down, there are quite a lot of variables here.
My CAI-LHR flight was scheduled to LHR at 12:10, we did land on time (as recorded by FlightRadar). However, I cannot remember the exact time we deplaned (which was in T4 remote stand) or what time we got to T5 by bus. I have a receipt for M&S Food time stamped 17:13 from Bond Street tube station (which BA will pay they say, along with all other food/hotels/clothes) - after taking the tube there. So I feel I would have made my connecting flight. My connecting flight to FRA was scheduled to depart 16:10. So, I guess all in all the 250 Euro is ok. Over and done with.

Thanks c-w-s for all your help and informative/useful comments.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
My CAI-LHR flight was scheduled to LHR at 12:10, we did land on time (as recorded by FlightRadar). However, I cannot remember the exact time we deplaned (which was in T4 remote stand) or what time we got to T5 by bus. I have a receipt for M&S Food time stamped 17:13 from Bond Street tube station (which BA will pay they say, along with all other food/hotels/clothes) - after taking the tube there. So I feel I would have made my connecting flight. My connecting flight to FRA was scheduled to depart 16:10. So, I guess all in all the 250 Euro is ok. Over and done with.
Thanks for extra information. I'd guess you would have left T5 for Bond Street not much after 16:00 hrs, which given the difficulty you would have had to get out of LHR meant that you would have been arriving at T5 from T4 no later than 15:30, which is right on the line here, and possibly somewhat before that if you were queuing around in T5. Had you arrived into T5 after 15:30 you would have had a reasonable case that the CAI flight was part of the delay timing and therefore should be included in the distance. Moreover I think you would have had to leave the CAI aircraft after 15:10 to have an unarguable case. So putting this together it looks fairly close to the 400€ timings for the distance, but not overwhelmingly so.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:00 am

Eu261 question

Sorry if posted before. My flight has been cancelled and so I quickly booked onto the next flight separately. I got a text from BA saying I've been rebooked onto a much later flight. Obviously I'm back now so do I have the ability to claim eu261?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hi jonas123

Have you looked on the main thread with all this information ?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...2004-a-45.html

I think you'd need to give more details on the reasons, flight nos, dates etc
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
Sorry if posted before. My flight has been cancelled and so I quickly booked onto the next flight separately. I got a text from BA saying I've been rebooked onto a much later flight. Obviously I'm back now so do I have the ability to claim eu261?
Yes, you can claim assuming the cancellation was not due to extraordinary circumstances. If you made your own arrangements to get home you should call BA and ask for a refund of the unused flight.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:07 am

Thanks. It's still a bit unclear but think the flight went tech. I took a punt and booked another flight while it was still delayed, but subsequently got cancelled (thank God I did!)

Do I need to do anything with the rebooked flight (such as reject it?)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
When was the cancellation?

Why didn't/couldn't BA put you on the earlier flight?

Has the rebooked flight taken off yet?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jonas123

Do I need to do anything with the rebooked flight (such as reject it?)
I would definitely give BA a call to let them know that the rebooked flight is unsuitable and that you would like a refund.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by Stormbel
Has anyone who made a simple claim (as in Flight cancelled on 27th May, looking for compensation) not had their claim processed?

I can't find where I asked advice previously but my claim was processed within a few days. Made 29th May, settled 3rd June but my partner's with exactly the same flights and claim date has only had the case allocated a number. (In fact we both had 2 case numbers allocated with my first one being processed)

Clicking on the link in the email, for an update, didn't copy the claim number across but all was filled in as required. I thought that an automatic acknowledgement for this would be received, but not.

Was I simply very lucky to have mine processed so quickly?
Self and family claimed on June 6: acknowledged but no settlement. Am going to chase after two weeks have passed.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Spoke with Customer Service Rep this morning, she stated that the it was odd that there was a third case opened. After a little digging, it seems to be related to a customer service complaint i submitted regarding the YVR Galleries Lounge and not being granted access on my trip. They most likely saw that my record involved the IT Outage and just issued the form email. The agent I spoke with could see that they had merged both existing case numbers into the new case number and that all of my receipts were in the file and all of the required information was filled out. She had no idea why the new case number was created or why they didn't bother to check the other two files for the supporting documents. Anyway, she was sending an email to the other agent to have him pull over the pertinent data (she gave the name of the person who was listed in the email I received). She said it would take 3-4 days and I should hear something by middle of next week. I asked if the clock for getting my reimbursement would start over again since this new case number seems to be dated June 14th and she said no.

I understand that they have an ungodly amount of claims to process - just want to put this episode behind me.
Received email today (6/19) from Customer Service confirming reimbursement amounts - 600EUR for the delayed flight and 284GBP for hotel/meals/transfers. So, basically getting back $1,025USD. Here's hoping it hits my account by the end of the week.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Received email today (6/19) from Customer Service confirming reimbursement amounts - 600EUR for the delayed flight and 284GBP for hotel/meals/transfers. So, basically getting back $1,025USD. Here's hoping it hits my account by the end of the week.
Glad to hear you are making good progress on this. For people in the US, how is BA sending the funds, check, or wire transfer? I also wonder who is doing the currency conversion, BA or the bank?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.