Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would say that there is no chance of getting anything back from BA

You simply chose to book another flight when the BA flight operated ok
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
Haha... Most of flights between Australia and Europe and v.v. involve 3-5 hours (sometimes even longer) layover in Asia. And guess what? I don't mind if the first flight is delayed a bit - makes the layover shorter

And (even after reading CWS's and your own follow ups) I think it would be ridiculous if airlines were liable to pay for delay into intermediate point if the final destination was reached on time...
No more ridiculous than basing the length of travel on the itermediate point to final destination. It is certainly a case of cake and eat it.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:17 am

Is BA prioritizing EC261 claims due to the IT mess before other cases? Sent in 2 claims for 2 separate incidents, one on 5/26 and the other on 5/22. Have not heard back from anyone.

Does it matter if I call the UK or US number for customer relations?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Given this situation and the fact that I HAD to be in BCN on Sunday evening, I booked an alternative flight to BCN on LH Saturday evening (by which time all airlines were fully booked as were the Eurostar trains) This was actually the last seat on LH and as such came at a cool £800.

What are my options to get reimbursed for either the LH ticket or for my original ticket? The original flight was flown after all (though the morning service was cancelled) and I was a no show.
You may want to look at the main operational thread in this area. You are correct that this isn't currently understood under EC261 logic, though there is an argument that BA didn't carry out their rebooking responsibilities. Either way, as you will see from the thread, BA have publicly indicated that they are prepared to look at claims based on people buying their way out of the difficulties. If the booked BA service operated, I can't see you getting anything back.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ee-please.html
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by B747forever
Does it matter if I call the UK or US number for customer relations?
Not directly, the calls both end up in Newcastle (occasionally Manchester) or New Delhi. Don't know about prioritisation, though there have been some fairly swift payments made in cases upthread.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not directly, the calls both end up in Newcastle (occasionally Manchester) or New Delhi. Don't know about prioritisation, though there have been some fairly swift payments made in cases upthread.
Thanks. Will give them a call tomorrow.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
c-w-s and Dave Noble, thanks for confirming my fears. I just chickened Saturday evening, seeing the chaos at BA and at LHR.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
welcome to flyer talk!

as you were downgraded the reimbursement element under EU261 is pretty clear and due to the length of the flight is 75% of the sector cost - so that would be 75% of the miles and 75% of the cash (exclusing taxes and fees) for the LHR-HKG sector.

Extraordinary circumstances don't come into the downgrade element of EU261.

However if you were delayed by the requisite time in the regulation then you would have a separate EU261 claim for the delay but as you weren't delayed (you didn't mention it) then that part of EU261 dosen't apply

Though I think the fact you used avios to upgrade from CW to F may complicate the calculation. I would suggest that they should refund you the 30K you used to upgrade plus any additional cash it cost you.

thanks for the advice. One last thing: could I expect a possible upgrade back to F from CW on the return flight due to the original downgrade? I hear conflicting info on this point
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:55 am

If there were multiple people travelling on single PNR, does BA make you fill in compensation (EU261) for each passenger separately ? Also, what if there are infants on that PNR ? Do they still need to be individually filled.

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
If there were multiple people travelling on single PNR, does BA make you fill in compensation (EU261) for each passenger separately ? Also, what if there are infants on that PNR ? Do they still need to be individually filled.

Thanks
I had to have Mrs. LC write an authorization letter saying I was authorized to handle all claims with BA. I would imagine with children stating you are the parent is enough but as I have no children myself, I can't tell you exactly.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by JamesKidd

Thanks
James Kidd, There isn't obviously any way of filling in one set of details and four names. I have just filled in 4 forms: one for each of my family who were all on the same booking reference; each with their EC number and a different phone and email for each person (my kids are 9 and 13, clearly this is less viable for infants). It didn't take long once the first was done.

All were immediately and separately acknowledged.

I intend to call in a week if I have heard nothing further.

Now for the disruption expenses and delayed baggage claims. BA are going to pay me every penny I am owed!

Last edited by fraisse10; Jun 6, 2017 at 4:24 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Would appreciate the collective wisdom of the board on this.

Passenger currently flying back from the EU (family member). Outgoing from LHR just squeezed in under the 3 hour limit and it looked like the turnaround had been shortened so they would be about 2.5 hours late back into the UK.

I have just been told (via text) that the Captain has said they have been delayed by another 1.5 hours due to weather and ATC issues over France.

It now looks like a delay of almost 4 hours.

Would 261 be applicable in this cases?

Thanks for any input

TE
For anyone remotely interested my family member put in a claim citing EU261 and received a reply within 72 hours to say a cheque (check for our American readers) was being issued.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
For anyone remotely interested my family member put in a claim citing EU261 and received a reply within 72 hours to say a cheque (check for our American readers) was being issued.
Was this since/regarding the events of Saturday 27th?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by fraisse10
Was this since/regarding the events of Saturday 27th?
Yes - if you have a look at my original post that I quoted I wasn't sure what the situation would be regarding EU261 as it seemed to be a combination of things. The flight was on the Sunday - the day after the IT meltdown.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:10 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Todays BA1475 GLA-LHR pushed back off stand on time then held on the taxiway for around 15mins as the crew couldn't get one of the engines to start. We were then towed back on to stand. By the time aircraft was fixed and eventually left it was just over a 4 hour delay. I've submitted a claim for the €250 delay compensation. Is it likely that BA will pay out in this instance or will they try to fob it off?
To cap it off, I'm now stuck at the T4 Premier Inn as I missed my VS flight to SEA as a result of the delay (separate bookings). Hopefully the travel insurance may cover me for the hotel outlay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.