Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SonTech
But if the passenger never went to LCY but when went to some other destination then wouldn't it be a case that arriving at LHR wouldn't be over 2 hours late so no EU compensation? Out of curiosity...
That is as may be, but it's not what is written in the Regulation, which talks about timings based upon the Final Destination, as ticketed and as presented at check-in.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is as may be, but it's not what is written in the Regulation, which talks about timings based upon the Final Destination, as ticketed and as presented at check-in.
So the airline could say the passenger could make it in time but without the passenger trying then what? One person could say it would take 50 minutes another 60 minutes which could be the difference in paying out or not. It should be what the airline use that counts and I have no idea what an airline would do or times it uses in these situations.

I'm just putting this out as a reason why an airline might not payout without a struggle..
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
Wink

Are you able to expand on this a bit? We've been waiting for any green lights in this area so if you can recall some details of the conversation I'm sure a number of FTers with EC261 claims pending would be interested in what was said.
Just had a call from CR and they also just confirmed my EU261 claim for last weekend's issues - no real discussion other than to say they will be paying my claim today alongside of the my expenses which they had already validated earlier in the week - I was delayed 27 hours from Berlin so get EUR250. Happy to see sense has prevailed and they are not denying they are at fault!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Are you able to expand on this a bit? We've been waiting for any green lights in this area so if you can recall some details of the conversation I'm sure a number of FTers with EC261 claims pending would be interested in what was said.
Something like,
''Sir your flight was cancelled you are entitled to claim EU261''

''As the distance travelled was under 1500Km you are eligible for compensation of 250 Euro's''

Nothing fancy, no oh's or ah's.

My EU 261 claim was under another ref number, that was not apparent to the agent so they had no knowledge of that issue.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by newbyuk
Just had a call from CR and they also just confirmed my EU261 claim for last weekend's issues - no real discussion other than to say they will be paying my claim today alongside of the my expenses which they had already validated earlier in the week - I was delayed 27 hours from Berlin so get EUR250. Happy to see sense has prevailed and they are not denying they are at fault!
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
Something like,
''Sir your flight was cancelled you are entitled to claim EU261''

''As the distance travelled was under 1500Km you are eligible for compensation of 250 Euro's''
Well the BBC Editorial Guidelines - when moving from rumours to fact - like to see two separate sources of information. Which is what I believe we have here. Many thanks to Engineering Travel and newbyuk for confirming that the Bank Holiday incident is covered by Article 7 of EC261 and that compensation is being paid by BA.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well the BBC Editorial Guidelines - when moving from rumours to fact - like to see two separate sources of information. Which is what I believe we have here. Many thanks to Engineering Travel and newbyuk for confirming that the Bank Holiday incident is covered by Article 7 of EC261 and that compensation is being paid by BA.
I called CR this morning about my claim ref that I made online on Sunday evening, and they processed the EU261 comp (long haul) without issue over the phone there and then.
A pattern of not contesting this appears to be emerging, which seems entirely sensible.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by snuffi
I called CR this morning about my claim ref that I made online on Sunday evening, and they processed the EU261 comp (long haul) without issue over the phone there and then.
A pattern of not contesting this appears to be emerging, which seems entirely sensible.
Yes, this is good news. Nice to see there is no attempt to wriggle out of it and they are paying out quickly.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:19 am

Now I could be mistaken - but this link from the homepage:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ruption_banner

Seems to suggest they'll reimburse other carriers:

Summary
We are very sorry for all of the disruption and frustration customers experienced during the UK Bank Holiday weekend of May 27, May 28 and May 29 as a result of a major IT failure.

Our global operations have returned to normal but we know that customers who were affected would like to make claims for the disruption they faced.

More information
We will fully comply with all of the relevant EU compensation regulations regarding any cancelled or substantially delayed services and for associated welfare claims (eg hotel accommodation, transport to and from your hotel, meals, and telephone costs, while you were delayed).

Given the level of disruption, we know some customers made alternative travel arrangements themselves, when British Airways was unable to re-route them because of the system limitations, and they had to rebook to other airlines directly via their respective websites or through travel agents. Customers who had to do this are also eligible to make a claim.
My bolding.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Apologies if posted already

BA delays: Insurers clash with airline over expenses (BBC)

"Insurers have clashed with British Airways over covering the cost of expenses incurred by passengers caught up in last weekend's travel chaos."
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
This is what I just got from BA:

Dear Mr docsxx

Thanks for your recent emails. I know how difficult it must have been for you when your flight from Hong Kong in Club World on 28 May was cancelled, particularly as we couldn’t offer you an earlier replacement flight. You’re clearly disappointed with how we handled this disruption and I’m so sorry we let you down.

As you’re probably aware, we experienced a major IT system failure on Saturday 27 May, which impacted the whole British Airways operation. All flights leaving London Heathrow and London Gatwick were affected with the majority being cancelled.

Due to the number of disrupted flights, London Heathrow was very congested. We worked hard to rebook our customers onto the next available flights over the course of the weekend.

Throughout this time, our main concern was for our customers, but it was difficult to keep you up-to-date on a changing situation. We did everything we could to minimise the effect this was having on our customers but I know this doesn’t change how this affected you.

Thanks for sending your receipts for your expenses. I’ve arranged a bank transfer of €2xx.xx and the money will be on your account shortly.

To make matters worse, we couldn’t offer you a seat in Club Europe on your new flight to xxx, and I’m sorry for the inconvenience we caused you. You’re entitled to the fare difference for this flight. I’ve passed on your details to our Refunds team and they’ll arrange a refund to the original form of payment. Please bear with us if this doesn’t happen straightaway. As I’m sure you can imagine, we’re dealing with many more refund requests than usual right now.

In addition to the refund, you’re entitled to a cash compensation of £30.00 and I’ve raised a bank transfer of €34.39 for you.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid cancelling a flight and we’ll always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision. However, I’ve checked the details of your journey and I’m pleased to advise you’re entitled to compensation for the cancellation of your flight BA0032 on 28 May 2017.

The distance of your disrupted journey was over 3,500km and this has been calculated in accordance with EU legislation. This means you’re entitled to €600.00 in compensation. I’ve arranged a transfer to your account.

We’re very grateful you’ve taken the time to let us know what happened. It’s only through your comments we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve and I know our Operations Manager will value your insight.

Thanks again for getting in touch. We value your support as a Gold member of our Executive Club and I hope you enjoy your flight with us on 29 June. Please feel free to contact me directly using the blue link below if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards

xxx
British Airways Customer Relations
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Now I could be mistaken - but this link from the homepage:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ruption_banner

Seems to suggest they'll reimburse other carriers:

My bolding.
They have reimbursed me for the flight that I booked to return on the 28th May, minus the unused ticket from the cancelled flight. This was without hesitation on BA's part even though it was a higher class of travel than Y that I was originally booked in. This was to cover the excess baggage charges that I would have incurred if travelling in Y that I don't pay as a BA Silver member.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:59 am

How are you guys managing to get a hold of anyone via the phone? Every time I call the 0344 493 0787 number I get told they can't answer my call due to the huge number of calls and then the line cuts!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by docsxx

Dear Mr docsxx

Thanks for your recent emails. I know how difficult it must have been for you when your flight from Hong Kong in Club World on 28 May was cancelled, particularly as we couldn’t offer you an earlier replacement flight. You’re clearly disappointed with how we handled this disruption and I’m so sorry we let you down.

As you’re probably aware, we experienced a major IT system failure on Saturday 27 May, which impacted the whole British Airways operation. All flights leaving London Heathrow and London Gatwick were affected with the majority being cancelled.

Due to the number of disrupted flights, London Heathrow was very congested. We worked hard to rebook our customers onto the next available flights over the course of the weekend.

Throughout this time, our main concern was for our customers, but it was difficult to keep you up-to-date on a changing situation. We did everything we could to minimise the effect this was having on our customers but I know this doesn’t change how this affected you.

Thanks for sending your receipts for your expenses. I’ve arranged a bank transfer of €2xx.xx and the money will be on your account shortly.

To make matters worse, we couldn’t offer you a seat in Club Europe on your new flight to xxx, and I’m sorry for the inconvenience we caused you. You’re entitled to the fare difference for this flight. I’ve passed on your details to our Refunds team and they’ll arrange a refund to the original form of payment. Please bear with us if this doesn’t happen straightaway. As I’m sure you can imagine, we’re dealing with many more refund requests than usual right now.

In addition to the refund, you’re entitled to a cash compensation of £30.00 and I’ve raised a bank transfer of €34.39 for you.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid cancelling a flight and we’ll always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision. However, I’ve checked the details of your journey and I’m pleased to advise you’re entitled to compensation for the cancellation of your flight BA0032 on 28 May 2017.

The distance of your disrupted journey was over 3,500km and this has been calculated in accordance with EU legislation. This means you’re entitled to €600.00 in compensation. I’ve arranged a transfer to your account.

We’re very grateful you’ve taken the time to let us know what happened. It’s only through your comments we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve and I know our Operations Manager will value your insight.

Thanks again for getting in touch. We value your support as a Gold member of our Executive Club and I hope you enjoy your flight with us on 29 June. Please feel free to contact me directly using the blue link below if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards

xxx
Excellent a lot of bank transfers for you then!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by docsxx

Dear Mr docsxx

Best regards

xxx
Just saw this; i am happy that it is at last getting some exposure!

https://www.ft.com/content/e3ebfd6e-...9-9f94ee97d996
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, this is good news. Nice to see there is no attempt to wriggle out of it and they are paying out quickly.
That doesn't seem to be quite how the ABI view it. They seem a touch unhappy that BA is trying to shift the burden of 'duty of care' payments to insurers instead of settling directly.

http://news.sky.com/story/ba-to-upda...ussle-10901920

FT doesn't seem to impressed either.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3ebfd6e-...9-9f94ee97d996

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.