Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
just for reference, I submitted an expenses claim and an EU261 claim on Saturday online and had a call this afternoon from a very friendly BA agent.

She just wanted to double check that I had claimed for all expenses that I had incurred (I didnt claim for accommodation as I stayed with friends) which I thought was very good. I also explained why one of my meals was more than GBP25 and why my phone call claim was very high (roaming abroad to US GGL) but she said not to worry - it would be paid in full today together with the EUR 400. It seems they use Bacs rather than FPS but should be in my account in next 2-3 days.

So in terms of service, that experience today felt good.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by McG
Todays BA1475 GLA-LHR pushed back off stand on time then held on the taxiway for around 15mins as the crew couldn't get one of the engines to start. We were then towed back on to stand. By the time aircraft was fixed and eventually left it was just over a 4 hour delay. I've submitted a claim for the €250 delay compensation. Is it likely that BA will pay out in this instance or will they try to fob it off?
To cap it off, I'm now stuck at the T4 Premier Inn as I missed my VS flight to SEA as a result of the delay (separate bookings). Hopefully the travel insurance may cover me for the hotel outlay.
Not the most glam of venues, I fear. Is this the brand new one linked to T4 by a part of the Hilton walkway? But I hope VS were OK about rebooking you.

The GLA-LHR flight seems to have had a very long delay, I'm surprised they didn't shift you to another flight (unless you had checked luggage, in which it is less surprising). It was due in at 08:30, arrived at 12:41, add a minute for doors to open, that gives a delay of 4 hours and 12 minutes. I would hope that would be swiftly paid. I notice every flight from GLA to LHR today was either late, very late or cancelled!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:00 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not the most glam of venues, I fear. Is this the brand new one linked to T4 by a part of the Hilton walkway? But I hope VS were OK about rebooking you.

The GLA-LHR flight seems to have had a very long delay, I'm surprised they didn't shift you to another flight (unless you had checked luggage, in which it is less surprising). It was due in at 08:30, arrived at 12:41, add a minute for doors to open, that gives a delay of 4 hours and 12 minutes. I would hope that would be swiftly paid. I notice every flight from GLA to LHR today was either late, very late or cancelled!
Yes, the new Premier Inn next to the Hilton. For just under a £100 including dinner and breakfast its not too bad.

VS twitter team were excellent in helping to rebook, especially as it was booked through Expedia who were as helpful as a chocolate fireguard.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
All I've had are two emails. The first sent after missing 3 phone calls, was telling me my flights would be refunded but any other expenses were not being paid.
The second email had a reference number and was for my EU261 claim. Nothing since then although it's only been a week since I sent it in.

Not quite sure why some people are getting quick responses etc. and others aren't.
Then again, I got the 2 year status thing whereas some others didn't.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just phoned BA from the US and got the call center in India. Was told that they could not give a status update or transfer me to Customer Service within 14 days of the online submission. Have no idea how people are getting their claims processed so quickly. Maybe they're shuffling overseas customers to the bottom of the pile.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Just phoned BA from the US and got the call center in India. Was told that they could not give a status update or transfer me to Customer Service within 14 days of the online submission. Have no idea how people are getting their claims processed so quickly. Maybe they're shuffling overseas customers to the bottom of the pile.
Possibly by Executive Club statuses, followed by oneworld elites?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by nesnith
Possibly by Executive Club statuses, followed by oneworld elites?
Well, I'm a OWS (AA Platinum Pro) so would hope I am up a bit on the list. Would hope that I am taken care of before a non-status BAEC traveler.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Would hope that I am taken care of before a non-status BAEC traveler.
Why?

It's generally advisable not to expect any benefits as a oneworld (or indeed any airline alliance) elite not travelling on the "home" airline, beyond what is published.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
Why?

It's generally advisable not to expect any benefits as a oneworld (or indeed any airline alliance) elite not travelling on the "home" airline, beyond what is published.
Well, BA was happy to offer me benefits when I booked and actually was able to travel. Guess there is still some "residual annoyance" from being caught in this debacle (let alone being stupid enough to purchase a CW upgrade on my final leg and remembering how much I dislike the product).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jimmyw9
I was dreading making the call to claim my out of pocket expenses and the compensation due to the mess over the weekend. In fact it was very easy this morning. I was asked what expenses I incurred which was 40 Euros in taxis and 10 Euros on food as I was put on Iberia for a leg of my journey and had to buy food on board. Before anyone chimes in on BOB, we were booked in Club so would have received free food and drink on the Iberia flight it was economy only. The advisor said we were entitled to 500 Euros plus the 50 Euros and I gave my bank account details and a quick pass of the telephone to my partner for him to confirm some personal details and the money will be in our bank account within a week. There was no need to supply copies of receipts either.
Hats off to you BA...... well recovered.... but with 10 BA flights queued up in the not too distant future...... did we really have a choice?? however unhappy we were.
My compensation and expenses showed up in my bank account today. Very happy with how BA have handled this. Not so happy that they have offered my partner an extension to his tier status for two years and I have not.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
- Refund of fare to credit card took 4 working days.
- EU261 to bank account took 3 working days.
- request for various docs for insurance like proof of cancellation were turned around in 24-48 hours.

I would say BA are doing pretty well.

The one thing I have not yet had is any hint of this "extension" email but I understand that the process is stuttering on that one.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Wink

Originally Posted by snuffi
- Refund of fare to credit card took 4 working days.
- EU261 to bank account took 3 working days.
- request for various docs for insurance like proof of cancellation were turned around in 24-48 hours.

I would say BA are doing pretty well.

The one thing I have not yet had is any hint of this "extension" email but I understand that the process is stuttering on that one.
Submitted two further claims today to supplement the 261 claim: one for expenses incurred in the disruption of 27/28th and one for costs arising from delayed baggage pursuant to the cancellation. Have had one auto-acknowledged - unsure which! - but not the other. Odd. Interesting to hear they refund 261 via BACS as that form, unlike the baggage one, didn't ask for those details. Nor does the disruption expenses one.

We shall see. I am Blue, though worth a lot to BA in the past, so pretty lowly in the scheme of things.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are two areas of legislation here, one I know something about (EC261) one that I don't, namely the Package Travel Regulations 1992, which in turn is based on European legislation. Now that will require BA Holidays to fix things that go wrong with your holiday (noisy building works or a beach 40 miles from the "beach hotel" being the classic ones) and it's more in line with general consumer legislation about getting what you paid for. However EC261 explicitly applies to tour operator flights, so it is indeed possible to claim for both components. How viable that is, in terms of the one-seventh aspect, is beyond my level of competence, but the EC261 entitlement is clear, and so, in theory, is compensation under the 1992 legislation too.
Thanks CWS. I'm going to go both routes - my view on this is that the minimum 4 hour delay required for the EC261 compensation I have claimed would not have materially affected the holiday, whereas we ended up losing virtually a full day out of 7. There are some other niggles as well, and frankly I'm less than impressed that our return flight wasn't properly ticketed and it took a long call at the airport to sort out followed by a run to the gate...

So in my mind, there's a delta between the overall holiday impact that would have triggered an EC261 cancellation payout, and the overall impact that we ended up facing.

I'm sure I can't be the only person in this situation... anyway, will report back when I get a response from BA Holidays...
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had an email yesterday telling me I would have my expenses refunded by BACS in 3 working days - but nothing yet about the EU 261 compensation which I submitted a day before the expenses as I was waiting for a emailed receipt from the Sheraton. Hopefully there will be a response to the EU 261 claim soon...

I've also had the status extension email, although this hasn't yet been reflected in my account.

So far I am surprised by how quickly things have been dealt with - but that impression may change depending on how long I have to wait re the EU 261 claim!

Edited to add that the 261 claim has also been confirmed - obviously it was posting on here that did it!

Last edited by Accidental Scientist; Jun 7, 2017 at 8:02 am Reason: Update
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by Accidental Scientist
I had an email yesterday telling me I would have my expenses refunded by BACS in 3 working days - but nothing yet about the EU 261 compensation which I submitted a day before the expenses as I was waiting for a emailed receipt from the Sheraton. Hopefully there will be a response to the EU 261 claim soon...

I've also had the status extension email, although this hasn't yet been reflected in my account.

So far I am surprised by how quickly things have been dealt with - but that impression may change depending on how long I have to wait re the EU 261 claim!

Edited to add that the 261 claim has also been confirmed - obviously it was posting on here that did it!
When did you post these claims (i.e. how long did this take), please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.