Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Flying12345
I'm meant to be flying BA8488 AGP to LCY this evening but it has been cancelled.

BA are unable to offer me an alternative flight until tomorrow, though they have offered me £158 per passenger to cancel the booking. If I accept this will I lose eligibility to the €400 pp compensation?

Luckily I saw the cancellation message as soon as it came through and even though the call centre was closed I just went ahead and booked two new tickets today with BA, for £80pp, but I will still arrive more than 3 hours after my originally scheduled time and to Heathrow instead of City.

I'm obviously lucky to have secured my flights (clearly best not to rely on the call centre in these situations!) but how can I maximise my compensation?
I've put in for EU261 compensation but haven't heard back from BA yet regarding my compensation or my refund, do I need to do anything else?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flying12345
I've put in for EU261 compensation but haven't heard back from BA yet regarding my compensation or my refund, do I need to do anything else?

From your original query it looks like you only claimed on the 9th July so less than a week ago so give them a couple more weeks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28537440-post1013.html

Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:33 pm

I was looking for some advice. We were caught up in the IT fiasco on 27/5. Travelling from MAN - NCE our flight was cancelled due to an ill crew member. Obviously this coincided with the IT failure and therefore we could not be re-routed. I eventually flew 2 days later from Edinburgh. BA have paid EU 261 of 250 Eur per person and hotel/ food for the night. However, I missed the Monaco F1 GP on the Sunday. I have requested a refund for the F1 tickets from Amex platinum insurance (AXA) but they have refused on the grounds I can only claim on the delay/ inconvenience insurance as although BA cancelled my flight, I rebooked 2 days later. The T&Cs form AXA also don't cover cancellation / consequential loss if BA cancelled the flight. Do I have a chance of claiming this cost from BA. Has anyone had any similar experience ? Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Yozza77
The T&Cs form AXA also don't cover cancellation / consequential loss if BA cancelled the flight. Do I have a chance of claiming this cost from BA. Has anyone had any similar experience ? Thanks
It's long been the case that BA won't pay for consequential losses, though as has been pointed out there may be a line or two in the Montréal Convention which could help (I've never heard of anyone being successful, it has to be said). So the usual answer I give is "that's one for your insurance company". Where this interruption of service has been a big eye opener for me is that it turns out that quite a number of insurance companies also regard consequential losses are out of scope too, that was quite a big surprise for me. The case that came to mind is the Post Office's travel insurance - generally well respected in the market - not covering lost accommodation expenses from the IT meltdown. Some insurance companies did pay up, even if they appeared to have a let-out clause in their T&Cs.

My personal view is that you probably arranged this insurance feeling it would cover you for this sort of incident, and therefore you should look at the myriad ways for holding them to account for this. You could start by asking AXA for a deadlock letter - this implies they will get a bill for £550 from their regulators (or rather the FOS) and it may be cheaper for them to pay you instead.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's long been the case that BA won't pay for consequential losses, though as has been pointed out there may be a line or two in the Montréal Convention which could help (I've never heard of anyone being successful, it has to be said). So the usual answer I give is "that's one for your insurance company". Where this interruption of service has been a big eye opener for me is that it turns out that quite a number of insurance companies also regard consequential losses are out of scope too, that was quite a big surprise for me. The case that came to mind is the Post Office's travel insurance - generally well respected in the market - not covering lost accommodation expenses from the IT meltdown. Some insurance companies did pay up, even if they appeared to have a let-out clause in their T&Cs.

My personal view is that you probably arranged this insurance feeling it would cover you for this sort of incident, and therefore you should look at the myriad ways for holding them to account for this. You could start by asking AXA for a deadlock letter - this implies they will get a bill for £550 from their regulators (or rather the FOS) and it may be cheaper for them to pay you instead.
Thank you CWS for the quick response. I did escalate the issue with AXA and yesterday received a letter with the FOS / ombudsman information. I may peruse this as I expected AmEx platinum charge card insurance to cover this type of incident.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
A couple of weeks ago a return leg back to LCY was cancelled due to the aircraft going tech at the airport I was flying from. BA could only rebook me on flights that would arrive at the earliest the following afternoon - as I absolutely had to be in London the following morning I booked myself onto a flight on a different carrier from a different (nearby-ish) airport to LGW instead. I know that I can claim EUR 250 for the cancellation, but can I claim the expense of this new flight that I purchased to get myself home? And, if not, can I ask for a refund of avios and money that I used to book the intial BA return leg? Many thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by runway27L
A couple of weeks ago a return leg back to LCY was cancelled due to the aircraft going tech at the airport I was flying from. BA could only rebook me on flights that would arrive at the earliest the following afternoon - as I absolutely had to be in London the following morning I booked myself onto a flight on a different carrier from a different (nearby-ish) airport to LGW instead. I know that I can claim EUR 250 for the cancellation, but can I claim the expense of this new flight that I purchased to get myself home? And, if not, can I ask for a refund of avios and money that I used to book the intial BA return leg? Many thanks.
Was this done via a Contact Centre or at the airport? If the latter, it is disappointing BA didn't offer the LGW service. If the former, I'm afraid that's the way it works. Yes, you get the 250€, you also get a refund on whatever was the original booking, whether it's cash and/or Avios. However you should cancel explicitly rather than no-show. If it was an automated rebooking I think that's still OK, but still best practice is to call up and cancel, and put in for a refund at the same time. You can't normally claim for a self rebooked ticket unless (e.g. during the IT meltdown) BA are unable to offer you an alternative service.

The Regulation itself has an ambiguity in it about rebooking on to another carrier, and at some point there may be a senior court ruling on the subject, but for now at least airlines are able to make people stick with their own services.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Has no one tested this "other airlines" issue yet in terms of replacement flight?

The summary of my issue, and source of my anger, is this:

BA offered me up to £200 for a hotel and a flight the next day.

I couldn't do that so suggested after a quick online search that I could book myself onto Ryanair for the same price as the refund of the original ticket and asked for £60 to cover the taxi home from STN.

BA refused.

They were happy to give me £200 towards a hotel (plus meals etc on top) and make me be delayed by over 12 hours but not pay me £60 to get a taxi home on the correct day of travel just a few hours late (under four hours) as an alternative. I was left with the choice of being off work on Monday morning or coming home on my original date with Ryanair. I chose the latter but don't understand why they're being so difficult about £60.

I dont even need the money, I'm just not backing down over it as they're being ridiculous, in my opinion. I saved them money and also got myself home sooner than they offered. And they had an extra empty seat on their Monday flight in CE to sell as they wish.

😭😭
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
Has no one tested this "other airlines" issue yet in terms of replacement flight?

The summary of my issue, and source of my anger, is this:
I experienced much the same during the IT fiasco weekend; I rebooked on another carrier but arriving in LGW rather than LHR. While other FT'ers who endured overnights waiting for their rebooked BA flights reported being compensated for their hotel stays, BA refused me any compensation for transportation costs from LGW. I even asked if they would be willing to compensate the unused half my return HEX ticket (a paltry £23.50), and BA still refused.

I empathize with your anger and have begun feeling much the same way. For getting home from London, BA is far more convenient for me than alternatives and that's why I've been willing to regularly spend $$$$ for TATL BA r/t's in F for the past couple years. But as you said - on principle - because of the way BA has treated me, it's tough to justify continuing to give them my money even if it means more inconvenient routings/timings on other airlines.

Last edited by gengar; Jul 16, 2017 at 9:55 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gengar
I experienced much the same during the IT fiasco weekend; I rebooked on another carrier but arriving in LGW rather than LHR. While other FT'ers who endured overnights waiting for their rebooked BA flights reported being compensated for their hotel stays, BA refused me any compensation for transportation costs from LGW. I even asked if they would be willing to compensate the unused half my return HEX ticket (a paltry £23.50), and BA still refused.

I empathize with your anger and have begun feeling much the same way. For getting home from London, BA is far more convenient for me than alternatives and that's why I've been willing to regularly spend $$$$ for TATL BA r/t's in F for the past couple years. But as you said - on principle - because of the way BA has treated me, it's tough to justify continuing to give them my money even if it means more inconvenient routings/timings on other airlines.
I would understand it if my own arrangements meant BA was more out of pocket, then of course I would accept defeat.

By booking my own flight home, I turned a 12+ hour delay into 3 hours and reduced the duty of care £ expenditure for BA down from over £200 to less than this. They won't even go halfway and just give me my taxi ride only.

I'm sending it through as a MCOL; the regulation is vague enough for me to believe a judge would understand my point. I can't imagine how any sane human being would be able to read the facts and tell me what I did was wrong and how BAs resolution was somehow better.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:44 am
Original Poster

I'm sending it through as a MCOL; the regulation is vague enough for me to believe a judge would understand my point. I can't imagine how any sane human being would be able to read the facts and tell me what I did was wrong and how BAs resolution was somehow better.
Good luck with that, though you have a complication here. Your beef isn't so much with the refusal to book on Ryanair - since the fares are the same - but the fact that it flies to STN, and presumably at a time when you can't use public transport if there is a £60 taxi fare involved.

Now if BA had rebooked you, at their behest, and it had gone to the wrong airport then EC261 does already cover this (Article 8.3), so gengar should give that another go through the appropriate steps shown upthread. He was in a different position to you, since BA could not rebook alternative carrier even if it wanted to do so, hence s/he was entitled to rebook and charge BA for it.

So your argument is in four stages: BA's alternative service is not "at the earliest opportunity", that BA should have rebooked me on Ryanair (and as you say the Regulation is unclear on this), that Article 8.3 should thereby apply and that a taxi is appropriate in this set of circumstances. Note that the coach fare STN-LHR is about £20. I can see this is a point of principle for you, but there is a materiality point that also needs to be assessed too. I wonder if CEDR is a better option, however BA are unlikely to contest a properly constructed and arguable MCOL involving £60.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Thanks CWS. I'm going to go both routes - my view on this is that the minimum 4 hour delay required for the EC261 compensation I have claimed would not have materially affected the holiday, whereas we ended up losing virtually a full day out of 7. There are some other niggles as well, and frankly I'm less than impressed that our return flight wasn't properly ticketed and it took a long call at the airport to sort out followed by a run to the gate...

So in my mind, there's a delta between the overall holiday impact that would have triggered an EC261 cancellation payout, and the overall impact that we ended up facing.

I'm sure I can't be the only person in this situation... anyway, will report back when I get a response from BA Holidays...
So for anyone interested here, I have now not only received the statutory EC261 compensation, but BA Holidays also paid out a relatively generous amount (mostly cash plus a holiday voucher) to cover the impact of the package I had booked with them.

All in all, I ended up getting back about 75% of the total outlay for my holiday, which I consider a good result!

More to the point though, it does at least anecdotally suggest that EC261 and the Package Travel Regulations are both valid avenues for redress in the case of package holidays...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Good luck with that, though you have a complication here. Your beef isn't so much with the refusal to book on Ryanair - since the fares are the same - but the fact that it flies to STN, and presumably at a time when you can't use public transport if there is a £60 taxi fare involved.

Now if BA had rebooked you, at their behest, and it had gone to the wrong airport then EC261 does already cover this (Article 8.3), so gengar should give that another go through the appropriate steps shown upthread. He was in a different position to you, since BA could not rebook alternative carrier even if it wanted to do so, hence s/he was entitled to rebook and charge BA for it.

So your argument is in four stages: BA's alternative service is not "at the earliest opportunity", that BA should have rebooked me on Ryanair (and as you say the Regulation is unclear on this), that Article 8.3 should thereby apply and that a taxi is appropriate in this set of circumstances. Note that the coach fare STN-LHR is about £20. I can see this is a point of principle for you, but there is a materiality point that also needs to be assessed too. I wonder if CEDR is a better option, however BA are unlikely to contest a properly constructed and arguable MCOL involving £60.
For the MCOL, I'm doing it properly with the meals etc included too. I was happy to settle at £60 and pay for my own food / drink / phone calls etc but why should I? Anything the regulation says I should get under the duty of care thing, that I have receipts for, is getting added into the claim.

As a total aside to all of this, and EU261 and the law and the CoC and so on, I cannot believe a company is willing to canx a business class ticket two days before travel and let the customer go with a refund of money that is essentially theirs anyway. Not a single Avios, not one penny in BA vouchers, not a single chocolate or flower, not a drop of wine, not even an apology. Nothing. Nada.

I may start to run my own business like that - charge people for my service and then whenever I fancy a day off just cancel on them two days before. All businesses should work like that.

There is what a company is legally obliged to do and what a company can choose to do. The two are very separate things. I'm just upset I still have about ten upcoming sectors on BA so can't even "never fly with them again". The whole thing is so upsetting. Should've just booked FR.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:30 am
Original Poster

As a total aside to all of this, and EU261 and the law and the CoC and so on, I cannot believe a company is willing to canx a business class ticket two days before travel and let the customer go with a refund of money that is essentially theirs anyway. Not a single Avios, not one penny in BA vouchers, not a single chocolate or flower, not a drop of wine, not even an apology. Nothing. Nada.
Well, as mentioned upthread, if EC261 Article 7 applies then you will get that. If it doesn't, on the basis that it is a strike, then you can ask for customer service remediation and maybe get some Avios (and definitely an apology). Neither comes automatically, but that's the way many large companies work. If BT didn't fix a fault on your line for a long period, it won't pay the compensation unless you notify them of the fact. I'm not sure it's radically different on any other airline, to be honest, other than that some are very difficult on the EC261 issue.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
My DUS-LHR flight on Saturday July 8 was delayed by over three hours and BA is denying my EC261 claim on the basis that it was during the strike and therefore an extraordinary circumstance. I'm aware that this is a MF route and they had to call in staff to operate the service, but they had plenty of notice and they proactively rearranged their services in advance. Do I have any recourse here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.