Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by AK84
My confusion was around whether I am entitled to anything given that it was a 2-4-1 redemption flight.
The only confusion over EU261 and 2-4-1 is over the reimbursement for downgrade.

For all other aspects - delay / cancellation / duty of care - EU261 fully applies.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:02 am

I'd be grateful for any advice.

We were booked on AA290 last night (JFK-DUB) - BA codeshare - which was cancelled. We were put up overnight and now have tickets from JFK-RDU-LHR - getting into LHR 24 hours after our original flight was due into Dublin.

We live near Bristol so we're planning a couple of days in Dublin then had a separate flight booked DUB-BRS via BA. The original offer from AA was JFK-RDU-LHR-DUB which would have (just) made out DUB-BRS flight, but we didn't want to chance it.

What's our options for compensation? As a codeshare I realise that any comp should be via AA (and we aren't covered by EU regs) but we're going to have a lot of additional costs (transport Heathrow- Bristol, extra airport parking) plus a very long journey and missed 2 days in Dublin.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by minkeygirl
What's our options for compensation? As a codeshare I realise that any comp should be via AA (and we aren't covered by EU regs) but we're going to have a lot of additional costs (transport Heathrow- Bristol, extra airport parking) plus a very long journey and missed 2 days in Dublin.
Welcome to Flyertalk minkeygirl, welcome to the BA Forum. Sorry to hear about your travel disruption, the scale of which seems a little extreme given the frequency of services between JFK and DUB/LHR.

However one of the disadvantages of using AA, as you rightly indicate, is that you are given very little remediation in this scenario and there is no EC261 coverage. All you can do is ask AA for customer service remediation, which if the cancellation was due to a mechanical failure (which I guess it was, since they covered the hotel) it may result in an AA travel voucher of perhaps $200 or so. If it was weather or some other external factor you won't get anything at all, not even the hotel. You won't get anything from BA, it's all down to the operating airline, in this case AA. Consequential losses, in any event, are down to insurance, airlines tend not to pay that.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:35 am

Thanks for your helpful response - that's what I suspected. Yes, the cancellation was due a flight crew shortage, hence the hotel stay. I was a little surprised that we couldn't get on a direct JFK-DUB/LHR flight today, but this was the best option offered.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:00 am

Hi,

I have a similar situation and BA have offered me the lower amount, did you successfully appeal?

Thanks,

Ian
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ianf23
Hi,

I have a similar situation and BA have offered me the lower amount, did you successfully appeal?

Thanks,

Ian
Simlar to what situation? It's hard to advise with no information.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:59 am

Apologies, I replied to a comment and didn't quote and didn't realise that it wouldn't be beside it.

I booked an Orlando - Glasgow return flight and on the way home the London - Glasgow leg was cancelled, I was notified when I was in Orlando and BA rebooked my entire Orlando - Glasgow journey automatically but when I got to the airport the staff advised there was a mistake, wouldn't pay for my hotel and advised me to get the Orlando - London flight I was booked on and another flight from another airport in London, which meant I arrived in Glasgow over 7 hours later than scheduled.

The comment I replied to essentially had a cancellation of the second domestic leg in a similar way and wanted to know what the outcome was as BA are treating the London - Glasgow leg in isolation and only offering the €250 compensation.

Thanks,

Ian

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Simlar to what situation? It's hard to advise with no information.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It is based on the entire journey Orlando-Glasgow.

There is an ambiguity based on a connection with a non EU carrier and a delay/cancellation at an non EU port, but that does not apply here.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:56 am

Hi ,

Would love some advise/clarification on what I now understand to be an involuntary denied boarding (IDB) incident that we encountered on a return journey last weekend from Miami > Heathrow.

We are family of 4 (2a,2c) returning from vacation on BA flight (206) with estimated departure 17:10.

We joined the check in queue at around 14:00 and whilst in the queue it became apparent that the check in desks were inadequetly manned - with only 1 person dealing with World Traveller , 2 people on Club World. The lines continued to increase outside the barriers until around 15:45 when the ticket agent supervisor came out and apologised for the delays and advised more staff will be drafted in shortly (bearing in mind this was just over an hour before flight was due to leave and they had to check in a B747 load of passengers.) At around 16:00 they enrolled more check in staff and opened up 3 desks on World Traveller , 4 on Club World.
At this point we were approx 1/2 way in the queue

As they were running way behind schedule they then decided to open all check in desks to all passengers spreading the remaining queues across 7 check in desks.

We finally got to the desk at around 16:10 handed over the paperwork to be then told the flight was overbooked and no seats were available for us.

Putting aside the shock,anger & children in tears at this time , we were passed over to a Virgin Atlantic desk as standby for a flight departing 18:55 which we waited around until 17:30 before confirmation was received that we could get this flight albeit the 4 seats were dotted about the plane with the children separated from us.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this gives a summary of the days events.
__________________________________________________ ______

My questions are : What liability if any do BA have to a claim from myself under the IDB rulings ?

For info the rescheduled flight (VS006) departed 1:45 hrs past & arrived 1:50hrs after my booked flight so is there grounds to claim ?

Due to the shortstaffing (Easter Sunday) & the rush to get passengers booked in I believe BA never had the time to implement the voluntary denied boarding requests to passengers and as a result 9 passengers were left off this flight.

Mark
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Markmac43
Would love some advise/clarification on what I now understand to be an involuntary denied boarding (IDB) incident that we encountered on a return journey last weekend from Miami > Heathrow.
Welcome to Flyertalk Markmac43, welcome to the BA board, though it sounds like you had a very stressful end to the Easter holiday. I hope you will continue to participate here, we always like to see new people join up with us here.

It looks like a fairly solid case for IDB, so I wouldn't expect much push back for this. You may also have a claim for the poor check-in experience and seating, but I doubt you would get much for that, maybe some Avios. The flight delay was within the 50% cut-off, by arriving under 4 hours late, so I think you are able to claim 300€ per passenger. I would claim the EC261 amounts as per the top of this thread, and then put in a separate complaint (or ring up) and say that your check-in and seating means that you are seeking specific remediation for this too. I'd be reasonably confident of the 300€ payment, and if you don't believe the customer service remediation is adequate there are ways of escalating that too.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:14 pm

help with eu compensation on BA ticketed itinerary

Hello everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me out in how to calculate my flight distance in regards to making a claim for eu 261 compensation. My flight was ticketed by BA but had connecting flights operated by Iberia and Air Nostrum. I was traveling YVR- LHR-MAD-EAS. YVR to LHR was fine but once on my LHR-MAD flight we were delayed 40 minutes for departure because a crew member was late delivering the passenger log manifest resulting in missing runway time and having to wait again for new runway appointment. This delay caused me to arrive in Madrid late and missed my connection to EAS. There were no flights available so I was put up in hotel in MAD until the next morning for a new flight to EAS. This all resulted in me getting to my final destination 11.5 hours later than my original arrival time the day before.
My question is how do I calculate the flight distance in order to see what I am eligible for ? Do I measure YVR to EAS or LHR to EAS etc? Also since its all code shares on one ticket do I request compensation from BA or the operating airline Iberia? Many thanks for your help!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Tricialac
Hello everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me out in how to calculate my flight distance in regards to making a claim for eu 261 compensation. My flight was ticketed by BA but had connecting flights operated by Iberia and Air Nostrum. I was traveling YVR- LHR-MAD-EAS. YVR to LHR was fine but once on my LHR-MAD flight we were delayed 40 minutes for departure because a crew member was late delivering the passenger log manifest resulting in missing runway time and having to wait again for new runway appointment. This delay caused me to arrive in Madrid late and missed my connection to EAS. There were no flights available so I was put up in hotel in MAD until the next morning for a new flight to EAS. This all resulted in me getting to my final destination 11.5 hours later than my original arrival time the day before.
My question is how do I calculate the flight distance in order to see what I am eligible for ? Do I measure YVR to EAS or LHR to EAS etc? Also since its all code shares on one ticket do I request compensation from BA or the operating airline Iberia? Many thanks for your help!
It's 600 Euro as the whole itinerary counts. You need to claim from the company that caused the initial delay - this being the LHR-MAD.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:12 pm

Hi... thanks for your answer. Im just confused as from reading different threads and websites it seems I can only calculate distance from the first delayed flight which would be the LHR-MAD and allow me only 250 Euros. Obviously your number is much more attractive but where is your info from? Personal experience? I just want to make sure I get things right before I send off my letter. I assume you are calculating 600 Euros from YVR-EAS? And then other sites say I should claim from ticketing airline (BA)and others say operating airline(IB). On looking at my boarding pass it says operated by iberia with a BA flt number but on my BA itinerary it says operated by BA. HELP!!!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It's always the operating airline. You travelled on an IB flight from London to Madrid.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

If you go upthread you will see the arguments played out in some other posts. In this situation airlines tend to work on the basis of the shorter segment delays rather than the whole trip (it would be different in the other direction) so I suspect that you are realistically aiming for 250€. There is ambiguity in this area, and the Regulation refers to "flights" in the relevant clause (7.1.a) rather than "trips".

But it's definitely IB you need to approach, and you may have a battle to get the compensation out of them too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.