Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:04 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Well tom139 if the exceptional team that you had last week supported their colleagues and went on strike they would get a quicker result, some crew are so short sighted/selfish.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    some crew are so short sighted/selfish.
    You mean those on strike, who are very much in the minority of MF crew?
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:02 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I believe it's now the majority.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    BA are cancelling 3 flights a day.

It takes only 27 more people to report per day and that will be zero. I don't think BA feel remotely under pressure.
    Jumbodriver for BA?

Thank-you very much for your continual support. Must be tough for you having to survive on your pay. Had you thought about joining half of the striking crew at the foodbank at Bedfont?

For the record, striking crew are indeed now in the majority.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:41 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
    Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
    Well tom139 if the exceptional team that you had last week supported their colleagues and went on strike they would get a quicker result, some crew are so short sighted/selfish.
    Just a thought may be the non striking MF crew are happy with their deal and are not so selfish as to wish to ruin the summer holidays of other working people some of whom like my daughter earn minimum wage.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
    Just a thought may be the non striking MF crew are happy with their deal and are not so selfish as to wish to ruin the summer holidays of other working people some of whom like my daughter earn minimum wage.
    This kind of attitude towards your fellow workers just truly amazes me.

If BA is such a terrible employer and you think so lowly of your co-workers, why are you still with the company?

There's a wide world out there outside of BA....
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:18 pm
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Perhaps they simply have different views to you - they are entitled to not strike if they do not want to

I believe that this is not OMNI/PR forum
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:41 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
    Originally Posted by Dave Noble
    Perhaps they simply have different views to you - they are entitled to not strike if they do not want to

I believe that this is not OMNI/PR forum
    While I fully support the crew on strike and believe MF deserve a better deal, I also agree with this. Any individual crew member is entitled to their own view, and shouldn't feel bullied for it. There are plenty of valid reasons some may not want to strike, and these kind of attacks do no-one any favours, and I imagine create an even more unpleasant working environment for everyone.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    So the new period covers my travel and if that is extend it will cover another flight clearly it's not certain those flights will be cancelled but if they are I still fully support MF crew on this.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
    So with all these flights operating with reduced crew, how long until Cruz starts to think that actually minimum crew is enough and that's the next thing to be 'enhanced'
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
    Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
    So with all these flights operating with reduced crew, how long until Cruz starts to think that actually minimum crew is enough and that's the next thing to be 'enhanced'
    Then he'd get a few more of the other fleets on strike
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
    You know that it's causing more problems then that, all those subs to other airlines, flights with minimum crewing and also all of those crew coming up to maximum hours.
    How are maximum hours calculated? Is it a rolling annual period?

My guess is that the union are extending the strike as they calculate that more crew will soon be hitting maximum hours and will need to be stood down. If so, it seems a sensible tactic, I hope it works for them.

It's clear from BA's initial response on staff travel that the airline were trying to penalise those that went on strike to deter future industrial action. It seems that BA are about to lose that battle if they haven't already.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    The cracks are beginning to show and as this dispute rumbles on.

Last edited by Down Low; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:15 am
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
    If only there was someway us passengers could show support and at the same time give BA a bloody nose for all the enhancements dished out. Maybe we choose a day to not fly BA. With a little forward planning and a lot of social media coverage it could be done.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:17 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Down Low
    The cracks are beginning to show and as this dispute rumbles on more and more people are choosing to strike.

BA are feeling the pressure.
    Down Low can you explain a little more?

You would have be completely blinkered or a company mouthpiece not to see the effects/cost on the BA operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.