Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC silver
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Well there's a surprise, ask any staff member and they will tell you horror stories.
    Every BA flight that's taken off in the strike has landed safely. Slight inconvenience to staff and passengers is far, far from "horror stories".
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:28 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Just in case you don't know there are many different definitions for the word horror.
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
    Given the length of the action strikers may find their mind focussed after 12 weeks since the action began...

From the Government website

"After 12 weeks, you can be dismissed if you take industrial action and your employer has tried to settle the dispute."

Let's hope both sides see sense before such time.
    I thought we are passed 12 weeks since the first strike.Or is that 12 weeks of continuous strike.Hopefully one or legal brains can clarify.
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:47 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
    Which routes are MF from LHR?

Is ZRH affected?

Originally Posted by NandoDave
    From the Wiki

Zurich is not on the list.
    And yet you can be affected if your flight is operated by QR (you might get a downgrade due to the fixed business cabin on QR's planes for example).
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:04 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Folks, a number of posts which contained personal attacks have been removed this morning. It is totally unacceptable to bring personal prejudices and feelings from a work environment into this forum by using it as a vehicle to attack others, and it ceases immediately, please.

We would ask the community not to respond to such posts, but to use the RBP button (red exclamation mark) to alert the Mod team. We will take action on clear attacks such as we saw yesterday.

Here is a reminder of Rule 12, one which we all agree to abide by as a condition of our membership:

Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.

NWIFlyer
    Moderator - BA forum
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
    Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

If they had taken the ACAS pay deal in December they would be a couple of months away from having their pay benchmarked and hopefully improved to what they expected.
    While BA continue to benchmark MF salaries against the hospitality industry in general (including food service and hotels etc.) it's unlikely that will solve the problem. Benchmarking against other flight attendant salaries would be fair, but of course expensive.
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
    While BA continue to benchmark MF salaries against the hospitality industry in general (including food service and hotels etc.) it's unlikely that will solve the problem. Benchmarking against other flight attendant salaries would be fair, but of course expensive.
    It was going to be benchmarking against other airlines cabin crew salaries. The process was going to be starting about now.

Unite were far too keen to get their strikes and blew a once on a career opportunity.
    ​​​​​
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:42 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    If anyone wants to do more than just say they support the brave MF crew here is where you can donate!

[details removed by moderator. Please read http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#charitable for more information]

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 5, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: per rule 11
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    If anyone wants to do more than just say they support the brave MF crew here is where you can donate!

[details removed by moderator. Please read http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#charitable for more information]
    ^^^^

Done!

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 5, 2017 at 4:59 pm
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Wow LCSinTexas, you're very trusting.

I'm not casting aspersions on CIHY, but to transfer money to an account someone has posted on an internet forum is very brave, unless you know CIHY personally.

I'm sure, however, that you independently visited Unite's website to verify that those were the correct details.

But then I thought it was brave for anyone to post sort code/account number of any bank account online.

Let's hope it doesn't get into the wrong hands.
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
    Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
    Wow LCSinTexas, you're very trusting.

I'm not casting aspersions on CIHY, but to transfer money to an account someone has posted on an internet forum is very brave, unless you know CIHY personally.

I'm sure, however, that you independently visited Unite's website to verify that those were the correct details.

But then I thought it was brave for anyone to post sort code/account number of any bank account online.

Let's hope it doesn't get into the wrong hands.
    I have verified to my satisfaction. And since I have worked within network security most of my life I feel comfortable with my decision.
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
    I've been tracking the recent cancellations of the JFK-LGW flight as we are booked on it next week.

Just received an email and SMS (!) that our JFK-LGW on Friday 11 Aug has been cancelled and we are rebooked into LHR with an onward connection to our final destination (better flight times too than via LGW!).

Just a shame that when I click on "accept" on the BA website, I receive an error.
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
    I have verified to my satisfaction. And since I have worked within network security most of my life I feel comfortable with my decision.
    Good show.^

Just pointing out that doing something like that without verifying might not be completely sensible.
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
    Good show.^

Just pointing out that doing something like that without verifying might not be completely sensible.
    Fair point.
    If you want another source, it's on the Unite website.
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/how-we-...poverty-wages/
    Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
    Having looked at the Unite website could someone explain what the bonuses that Unite claims BA have 'robbed' from striking workers are. I understand travel perks but not the bonus issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.