Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
i had been trying on BA but it wasn’t on Finnair either. I did notice after posting that I have a second PNR for the trip which seems to be linked in some way and I can add my KTN there so I’ve done that and will hope for the best.
That was where I was heading with my question: on a mix carrier itinerary like this there were will typically be multiple PNRs and what you need to do for this specific area is identify the Operating PNR - which you appear to have done - and add the KTN into MMB for that specific PNR, otherwise PreCheck won't be enabled. It's the Operating PNR which is talking to the DHS (Department for Homeland Security), not the others. (Rather a lot of abbreviations there!).
JAXBA likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Is it now the case that the TSA at JFK T7 will accept mobile boarding passes with TSA Pre marked on them?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lolbert
Is it now the case that the TSA at JFK T7 will accept mobile boarding passes with TSA Pre marked on them?
Yes they do.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes they do.
Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Is it possible for a BA check in process to provide TSA pre when it is an AA flight?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Is it possible for a BA check in process to provide TSA pre when it is an AA flight?
My Global Entry number is in my BA Advance Passenger Information and when I print my boarding passes for my American Airlines flights (I usually fly BA to the USA and connect onto AA to my destination) they usually have the 'Pre-check tick' on them, so it does carry across to AA tickets the same itinerary/PNR.

Likewise when I have flown back on AA to connect onto BA to fly to the UK the TSA Pre Tick is on the boarding passes.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
My Global Entry number is in my BA Advance Passenger Information and when I print my boarding passes for my American Airlines flights (I usually fly BA to the USA and connect onto AA to my destination) they usually have the 'Pre-check tick' on them, so it does carry across to AA tickets the same itinerary/PNR.

Likewise when I have flown back on AA to connect onto BA to fly to the UK the TSA Pre Tick is on the boarding passes.
Great news, but I have a 100% fail when checking in for a BA flight from London (getting TSA pre which is of no use) connecting onto an AA flight (same booking) where there is no TSA Pre. I have always had to go to an AA check in counter in the US to get a boarding pass with TSA Pre.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Had a similar but different problem last week. Taking an AA connection onto a BA flight, all with BA codes, the AA app gave me TSA Pre but the printed boarding pass issued by AA for the AA sector did not. The BA boarding pass they issued did have the TSA Pre logo on it.

I didn't actually notice until the "friendly" TSA agent told be to join the regular queue (which was very long) and we were both left confused when I showed her the green tick on the AA app, and scanned it in. She was very reluctant to let me through but did so in the end as she couldn't think of a good reason to stop me.

TL;DR: Try the AA app which does usually work.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
If you mean you have a BA booking containing an AA flight, and are wondering whether advance passenger info gets sent to AA, the answer seems to be some of it does, but not (reliably) the known traveller number. But you can always fix that by going to AA, which you have to do (in my experience) anyway to choose the seat.
Joeykins likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by abligh
If you mean you have a BA booking containing an AA flight, and are wondering whether advance passenger info gets sent to AA, the answer seems to be some of it does, but not (reliably) the known traveller number. But you can always fix that by going to AA, which you have to do (in my experience) anyway to choose the seat.
I have never been able to get a boarding pass issued by BA for a flight on AA which gives me TSA Pre.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
I have never been able to get a boarding pass issued by BA for a flight on AA which gives me TSA Pre.
I'm pretty sure I have every time got them issued by AA. I don't recall ever getting a BA boarding pass for an AA flight at all (TSE Pre or not).

Perhaps we're at cross purposes. I thought you were asking whether the BA check-in process could pass your Known Traveller number to AA so the AA checkin could use it; my answer to that is "not reliably if at all".

If you meant "can you actually check in to an AA flight using the BA interface and pass through a KTN" that sounds even more unlikely. I've always checked into AA segments on AA so can't definitively tell you.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Who knows what the interface is but I've had BA issue BPs for onward AA flights that don't display pre but the BA leg does have pre on it even though it's an ex-UK flight

Simplest way to resolve is to reprint your AA BP on arrival into the US. Its more than likely you have to pass an AA desk / machine anyway on the way through immigration etc anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Who knows what the interface is but I've had BA issue BPs for onward AA flights that don't display pre but the BA leg does have pre on it even though it's an ex-UK flight
I did actually read the DHS rulebook on this once, must have been a very boring flight, but in essence it is necessary for the operating carrier to print or app the trademarked PreCheck symbol. So BA issued boarding passes or apps should not show PreCheck for AA, Alaska, Cathay, Finnair and Qatar operated services. Equally AA issued boarding passes should not show PreCheck for BA operated services. Airlines don't have a choice on this.

The reason being that each airline makes their own and individual agreement with the DHS and it's not really up for other airlines to make assumptions about whether that agreement is in place or not. PreCheck is offered by airline not by Trusted Traveler. Now I gather some airlines actually do print the logo, perhaps due to some computer logic glitch, but that apart, it explains the need to reprint boarding passes as mentioned upthread.

BA incorrectly shows PreCheck on UK-USA legs with no on-carriage, but for AA this is more important to show this, since there are some security protocols that alter for passengers departing (e.g.) LHR for the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.