Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
However, it wouldn't surprise me if shortly thereafter MBNA decided to withdraw this card as a pointless exercise, given the costs of maintaining a separate brand for a small user base that isn't going to get added to. In addition, "Diamond Club" is presumably a BA- or IAG-owned trademark that MBNA won't have the right to use in perpetuity.
Customers will be moved to another MBNA product. My husband's old Virgin Money card became Rewards card and now it's Platinum. He just got newly branded cards one day, without additional explanation.

I'm going to keep the card for 0% offers, just in case.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Very sticky logging in for me. I hope the whole thing won't become impossible to use as it winds down. You might want to convert any large sums now and leave the residual until later.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold PC Platinum
Funny how things go in phases
I was one of the happy Bmi regulars back in the day and became a Star Alliance fan when they joined (hence the user name)
When BA gobbled up Bmi I came along for the ride and have been BA Gold for some years and quite enjoyed the experience..accumulating around 1 million Avios in the process (helped by the brilliant Diamond Club cc of-course)
A few months ago I changed jobs and my new employer has a no BA policy so I got a status match to DL Platinum and the dreaded SkyTeam
My BA account was only being topped up by the cc mileage + a bit of personal travel but now with Diamond Club finally going I guess it's the end of this chapter and I'll probably just work my way through my Avios bank for holidays and switch my cc and most business travel to VS and Skyteam
VS cc for me I think !!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:30 am

Finally been able too log into diamond club.org but now when I try to combine avios on ba.com, I am getting this:

Your session has timed out, please log in again
Su sesion ha caducado, por favor, acceda de nuevo
Ihre Sitzung ist abgelaufen, bitte melden Sie sich erneut
Votre session a expire, s'il vous plait vous connecter a nouveau
La sessione e scaduta, si prega di accedere di nuovo

Anyone else getting the same?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Originally Posted by ba bob
No. Logged in to diamond club at the first attempt to check balance. Logged in to BAEC, transferred the points no problem. Probably the penultimate time I'll need to transfer points. (For reference using Win 7 and chrome just now.)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ba bob
Finally been able too log into diamond club.org but now when I try to combine avios on ba.com, I am getting this:

Your session has timed out, please log in again
Su sesion ha caducado, por favor, acceda de nuevo
Ihre Sitzung ist abgelaufen, bitte melden Sie sich erneut
Votre session a expire, s'il vous plait vous connecter a nouveau
La sessione e scaduta, si prega di accedere di nuovo

I had the same issue in Firefox so used Chrome and it worked ok.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've gone through the options last weekend (with a spreadsheet ) and it will be the VS CC for me as well. I will keep collecting Avios through Amex Plat, but for Visa/MC I didn't find the Lloyds Rewards card or HSBC worth the effort. For the former, it sounds from readers' comments on HfP like a lot of hassle and glitches, plus the benefit of the voucher is partly offset by the extremely low earning rate by the time you get to GBP 7k (and I'm realistic - I'm not going to max it out on a flight to SYD - my average redemption would be NYC in J); what also bothers me is that you lose the voucher if you cancel the redemption. On no FX fees, I already have an excellent AA Citi Mastercard (issued out of the US) which has zero fees and earns 1 mile per USD, and that's what I use abroad.

Obviously, there are downsides to spreading points across a few programs, but with a large pile of Avios in my BA account, I don't mind diversifying a little bit.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
With exquisitely ironic timing, an email from MBNA has just arrived concerning my Diamond Club cards:-
We're always working to help customers get the most out of their credit card, so we're making some changes.

From your October 2016 statement you'll have an extra 7 days to make your monthly payment. The day we produce your statement won't change.

That one is likely to be the last Diamond Club statement I will ever pay!

But hopefully this will also be applied to my other MBNA card accounts. Without actually doing the arithmetic, my impression is that this change will bring MBNA closer into line with other UK credit card companies.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Has anyone heard from MBNA about this yet?

I've just dug out a copy of the MBNA terms and conditions, and that says they'll give at least 30 days notice of changes. Since the 1st of Sept, MBNA have emailed me about an upcoming change in how long from the statement date I'll have to pay, and have issued a new statement. Neither of those mentioned the change, and I've had nothing in the post either. Feels to me like they're opening themselves up to a complaint, and potentially quite an expensive one if we all take them to the Financial Ombudsman about it...
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Has anyone heard from MBNA about this yet?

I've just dug out a copy of the MBNA terms and conditions, and that says they'll give at least 30 days notice of changes. Since the 1st of Sept, MBNA have emailed me about an upcoming change in how long from the statement date I'll have to pay, and have issued a new statement. Neither of those mentioned the change, and I've had nothing in the post either. Feels to me like they're opening themselves up to a complaint, and potentially quite an expensive one if we all take them to the Financial Ombudsman about it...
Just an email for me, received last week.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I had an Email on 31st August.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I have heard nothing.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:51 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I got an email from BAEC, not MBNA (but referring to them).
Old Sep 5, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Nothing has come out from MBNA AFAIK, all comms has come directly from BA.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Why would anything come from BAEC, out of curiosity? Not that I have heard anything from them either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.