Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Could someone please summarize options for both free and paid card options to replace DC mbna accounts ?
Raffles wrote it all up about 3 weeks ago! http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/09...sa-mastercard/
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by onlysuites
As they say in Good Ol' England "You having a laugh mate"
When used at the AAnytime rate the miles required are very high (i.e. expensive to have collected). When MilesAAver is available I'll use my Avios. Perhaps I'm being a bit thick but I don't understand your comment.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Raffles wrote it all up about 3 weeks ago! http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/09...sa-mastercard/

Thanks for the pointer.

I no longer frequent this place as often so missed it.

cs
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by hugolover
Thanks Brussels for more unwarranted interference and affecting the UK far more than other MS when it comes to credit cards.
Methinks you're confusing the EU initiative with BA's decision to close Diamond Club.

Just to be clear, the DC benefits are not being reduced, they're being eliminated.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Methinks you're confusing the EU initiative with BA's decision to close Diamond Club.

Just to be clear, the DC benefits are not being reduced, they're being eliminated.
The interchange cap is killing off all these, earnings cut on many others. Raffles has said on many occasions he expects the licenced cards to go.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
As I said,
If the benefits had been reduced as with some other cards, you may have had a point. As it is, confusing 'Brussels' with BA is a non sequitur.

FWIW I don't like BA's decision either but I'm not blaming 'Brussels'..
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The interchange cap is killing off all these, earnings cut on many others. Raffles has said on many occasions he expects the licenced cards to go.
Why do you think that the UK is being worse affected than other EU countries? Doesn't the cap apply equally to all EU countries?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by golfmad
When used at the AAnytime rate the miles required are very high (i.e. expensive to have collected). When MilesAAver is available I'll use my Avios. Perhaps I'm being a bit thick but I don't understand your comment.
Why you redeem at AAnytime rates? Lets compare what is available to BA which is saver rates which offer miles better value.

UK to USA west coast - AA is 90,000 return vs BA 150,000 peak or 125,000 off-peak.
UK to Dubai is - 85,00 on AA vs BA 120,000 or 100,000 off peak.
UK to Sydney is - 170,000 vs BA 300,000 Peak or 250,000 off peak.

Why would you use Avios to any of these destinations when you can use AA.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:53 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Why you redeem at AAnytime rates? Lets compare what is available to BA which is saver rates which offer miles better value.

UK to USA west coast - AA is 90,000 return vs BA 150,000 peak or 125,000 off-peak.
UK to Dubai is - 85,00 on AA vs BA 120,000 or 100,000 off peak.
UK to Sydney is - 170,000 vs BA 300,000 Peak or 250,000 off peak.

Why would you use Avios to any of these destinations when you can use AA.
But golfmad said "expensive to have collected", not to spend. Until now, I've been able to earn a significant proportion of my Avios at roughly 2.5x the rate I could reasonably hope to earn AA miles, and none of those AAdvantage redeem rates are even 2x that of Avios. So, if "when you can use AA" has the narrow literal definition of "when you have enough balance in both programmes to afford either" then perhaps it's true that it's better to use AA, but still the replacement cost of those miles must be taken into account.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I have a 7 figure Avios balance. I have a 6 figure AA balance. As a general rule, if I can use Avios I will because I have so many more and will probably keel over before I run out of them. I save my AA miles for when I need something last minute and in situations where I don't have a joker and cannot use Avios or MilesAAver because there's no availability. In those circumstances I redeem AA miles at the AAnytime rate which - mile for mile and point for point - are more expensive to collect than Avios.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Thanks for the pointer.

I no longer frequent this place as often so missed it.

cs

There's the twitter feed, Apple News, Flipboard, RSS, Facebook, LinkedIn, the emails ..... No excuse for missing articles even if visiting the site every day is a pain
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Raffles
Just so we're clear, if the current class action against MasterCard for excessive interchange fees succeeds (and it should as the EU has already found them guilty and the only discussion is over the level of penalty) will you be accepting the £200 or so due to you or not?
Is this going to be for each MasterCard account you've ever held? Could be very lucrative for us churners if so!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Why do you think that the UK is being worse affected than other EU countries? Doesn't the cap apply equally to all EU countries?
Try getting a credit card in EU countries anything like what we have in the UK ☺️. The market is so much more developed here. Heck. Did you say balance transfer? Balance what? 😜

Eg A ban on fishing turbot can be equally applied across the EU but I don't think Luxembourg have much to worry about.

Last edited by hugolover; Sep 21, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said,

If the benefits had been reduced as with some other cards, you may have had a point. As it is, confusing 'Brussels' with BA is a non sequitur.

FWIW I don't like BA's decision either but I'm not blaming 'Brussels'..
I feel like I imagined this now. I am sure Raffles has been briefing he expects all the licenced MBNA cards to be killed off. Did I imagine this?

Also. Didn't he point out that other licenced non-Amex cards have seen huge reductions in earnings due to the cap?

So whether this card got killed right now it was gonna get killed and when it did it would be cos of Brussels usual interference. The future is bleak for MBNA.

I single out the UK because having lived in a few different MS (especially rich ones) there was never anything like what we have in the UK when it comes to loyalty cards & the various deals. It's a much more competitive and vast marketplace and more difficult to obtain credit. Look at credit card usage in DE. So many people are just using an ec debit card.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at credit card usage in DE.
To be fair, you picked a country which is right at the other end of the spectrum rather than a typical/average one. Retail banking and other consumer financial services in Germany have barely emerged from prehistory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.