Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
No it appears that the cards can still be used, just you don't earn any benefits from them.
I have seen people use them sort of cards before. My friend is always paying with his credit card that earns him nothing.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
However, it wouldn't surprise me if shortly thereafter MBNA decided to withdraw this card as a pointless exercise, given the costs of maintaining a separate brand for a small user base that isn't going to get added to. In addition, "Diamond Club" is presumably a BA- or IAG-owned trademark that MBNA won't have the right to use in perpetuity.
Yes, but surely they can just quietly slip people onto an unbranded MBNA card??? Wonder if we'll see a swathe of generous transfer offers to keep people engaged....
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have seen people use them sort of cards before. My friend is always paying with his credit card that earns him nothing.
Indeed, my first mastercard (26 years ago) was like that. And Mrs Swiss keeps paying for stuff on her damned debit card - grrr.....
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by hcuk94

Even for me though, it is sad to see the last scrap of BMI sent off to history.

One of my biggest gripes about the current airline industry in the UK is that other than LCCs and maybe Flybe, BA has no competition.
Virgin tried but seems couldn't make a business out of it

As for the last scrap of BMi... maybe when BoB appears and we hand over our status cards to get a free sandwich so of BMI comes back??
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Indeed, my first mastercard (26 years ago) was like that. And Mrs Swiss keeps paying for stuff on her damned debit card - grrr.....
I have one of them and can say have never used it to make any payments
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Yes, but surely they can just quietly slip people onto an unbranded MBNA card??? Wonder if we'll see a swathe of generous transfer offers to keep people engaged....
Was told I would swap to an unbranded card when MBNA lost IHG to Barclaycard. Cancelled before I ever got one though.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:32 pm

Yes, this is a royal PITA. I've had a look around the alternatives already but the issue is it really helped me hit the 241 targets. I have a family of 5 so it's expensive.

Am wondering whether getting an AA card might work - so I build points for 4 on the BA account, and the 5th on the AA one.

It also makes VS look rather tempting, although without the 241s it'll be a hard slog to get the 5 of us across the pond in J...
There are still options out there for paying tax and getting a little something back.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Very sad to see the end of the end of Diamond Club. The timing is apt for me: after starting my BAEC membership in earnest with the end-of-bmi status match, I've now reached the point that maintaining any sort of BA loyalty is too difficult, while the enhanced rewards I get in return have become too scant.

One final bmi forum drinks at the Glasshouse Stores before the end of September?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:08 am

Is anyone else having issues logging into diamondclub.org? Seems a little temperamental, almost reminiscent of the BMI days... time for catz?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by ba bob
Is anyone else having issues logging into diamondclub.org? Seems a little temperamental, almost reminiscent of the BMI days... time for catz?
Failing for me.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Failing for me too - probably preventing logins due to a mad rush on people booking discounted fares!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Do they/did they give a 10% discount on all BA bookings?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Yes headingwest only thing not eligible was HBO fares. Used the discount a few times but not great for complex itineraries.

Anyway paid HMRC today with it so might and well go out in style. I'm considering that Lufty Miles & More card though as complement to my BAPP - wouldn't mind a free ride on a 747-8. I need to find out more about Lufty scheme though to see if it's worthwhile....
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by ba bob
Good evening Ladies & Gents (first time posting, but long time lurker of this forum).
I thought it was just me who was having issues logging onto diamondclub.org.

Eventually managed to log onto it after quite a few attempts. And managed to transfer 1700 odd miles via the BA/BAEC account/website from the Diamond Club (more than what I thought I had).

I liked using this MBNA Card. Now to find another one. :-(
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:39 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by raikje
One final bmi forum drinks at the Glasshouse Stores before the end of September?
Oh yes, we really should!

Oxon Flyer, as I recall Goldcircle did promise to organise one. Do you think we can drag him out of retirement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.