Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:39 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by jonolhr
I believe BA charge £15.00 to cancel a booking, even of a flexible ticket. Also I am not sure the CC fees would be refunded.
My theoretical purchase needn't be from BA...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Sadly the tales of DC and its cards are from before my time, but having spent a lot of time reading FlyerTalk, this was always one of my biggest envies of being a newcomer.

Even for me though, it is sad to see the last scrap of BMI sent off to history.

One of my biggest gripes about the current airline industry in the UK is that other than LCCs and maybe Flybe, BA has no competition. Oh for the likes of BMI and BCAL, for the competitive market one can find in the US and elsewhere. BA has lost its likeability for me just in the past few years, and I'd love to be able to have an airline of which we could be proud to carry our flag again.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by hcuk94
One of my biggest gripes about the current airline industry in the UK is that other than LCCs and maybe Flybe, BA has no competition. Oh for the likes of BMI and BCAL, for the competitive market one can find in the US and elsewhere.
By all means gripe away, but don't look to the US for that mythical competitive market. We're down to three network carriers here, in a nation approximately the size of the EU.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by rupert_s
Now's the time to make the down payment on Jan's HMRC contribution.
Do hmrc charge a fee for paying with credit card?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by martin_d
0.4% on personal cards

Which is 0.15p per Avios if you're me :-)
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by martin_d
They do, as Raffles just pointed out. Just slightly under 0.4% .... and this thread coincides with me paying the company VAT today on my bmi card. The small interest payment is tax allowable as bank charges - as I learned from Raffles some years ago, particularly useful since the changes in January when HMRC interest rates charged dropped.

This will be missed by me, although Raffles will shine a light on the way forward

The IHG free night for £10k spend will be easy enough.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Olly-
Because of the interchange fee caps now in place you're not going to get anywhere near 2 Avios per £1 any more on a MasterCard or Visa. Even 1 Avios per £1 is generous!
This should be temporary though right? Once Britain leaves the EU?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by onlysuites
This should be temporary though right? Once Britain leaves the EU?
I doubt that anyone could possibly know whether regulations like this will have to be kept under the terms of our new arrangements with the EU, or whether (even if they don't) they will be kept anyway because they are considered to be in the interests of the consumer (which was the basis for their introduction by the EU to being with). Unless someone has a crystal ball that's currently in good working order?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Unless someone has a crystal ball that's currently in good working order?
If someone does have one could they also check if I should get the VS card now or wait for a higher bonus.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Azure
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If someone does have one could they also check if I should get the VS card now or wait for a higher bonus.
They've just put their bonuses up to match BA until the end of October. 25,000 for the Black (not as good as 32,000 at one point last year but still a good bonus), 10,000 for the White. On the black you earn 2 miles on the Amex and 1 on the Visa per £ which I think is about as good as it gets in the UK ^
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsdickinson
They've just put their bonuses up to match BA until the end of October. 25,000 for the Black (not as good as 32,000 at one point last year but still a good bonus), 10,000 for the White. On the black you earn 2 miles on the Amex and 1 on the Visa per £ which I think is about as good as it gets in the UK ^
^
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Brain not functioning properly, does this mean that neither amex or mc can be used at all, so suppose I will have to get another MC from somewhere else, maybe Tesco
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BA5E
Brain not functioning properly, does this mean that neither amex or mc can be used at all, so suppose I will have to get another MC from somewhere else, maybe Tesco
No it appears that the cards can still be used, just you don't earn any benefits from them.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
No it appears that the cards can still be used, just you don't earn any benefits from them.
Thanks Swiss Tony, as you say will not get any avios, will certainly not be using the BMI Amex, out will come to stay the BA AmEx card, and perhaps in due course may get the Tesco to get avios on that.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
However, it wouldn't surprise me if shortly thereafter MBNA decided to withdraw this card as a pointless exercise, given the costs of maintaining a separate brand for a small user base that isn't going to get added to. In addition, "Diamond Club" is presumably a BA- or IAG-owned trademark that MBNA won't have the right to use in perpetuity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.