Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceased 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat

Well, it seems that all good things come to an end. Diamondclub.org is saying that the programme is being wound down:

We are sorry to inform you that the Diamond Club will be closing on 30 November 2016.

Please be assured that up until this date, you can still use your 10% discount on British Airways flights.

If you have a Diamond Club Credit Card issued by MBNA Limited, you will no longer be able to collect Destinations miles from 30 September 2016, however you will be able to convert them in to Avios using the Combine My Avios tool when you log in to your Executive Club account [hyperlink to www.ba.com/executiveclub]. You will need to do this by 30 November 2016, otherwise your miles will not be transferred and will expire.

Combine My Avios https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

If you are not already a British Airways Executive Club member, please join at www.ba.com/join
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The end of Diamond Club! [MBNA CC earning ceases 30 Sept, Avios transfer 30 Nov 2016]

I may have missed this if it came up in the last couple of weeks but I just logged onto my Diamond Club account to find this message...

We are sorry to inform you that the Diamond Club will be closing on 30 November 2016.

Please be assured that up until this date, you can still use your 10% discount on British Airways flights.

If you have a Diamond Club Credit Card issued by MBNA Limited, you will no longer be able to collect Destinations miles from 30 September 2016, however you will be able to convert them in to Avios using the Combine My Avios tool when you log in to your Executive Club account. You will need to do this by 30 November 2016, otherwise your miles will not be transferred and will expire.

Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:02 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

Oxon Flyer and I will therefore shortly be entering an extended state of mourning. Please respect our privacy at this sad time.

There may also be flags at half-mast floating over the East Mids countryside in final recognition of the demise of the last remaining vestige of BD.

Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Damn - was fantastic whilst it lasted!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
That's a real shame but inevitable.... I wonder what MBNA will do with the Diamond Club card?

The only viable alternative is to hit the BA Amex card again for 1.5 points per pound spent.... I have enjoyed not having to search for companies that take Amex up until now.....
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Now I will no longer need to curse that I once thought the paid for BMI Amex was not worth it!

See, every cloud has a silver lining!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
A great shame - the DC Visa was great for collecting Avios at places where Amex is not accepted. That, and the companion Amex, will be going in the drawer. And I don't think mine will be alone in that regard.

The main question now will be when do we stop spending on the card.

Last edited by Paralytic; Aug 31, 2016 at 7:16 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:14 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I've been dreading the arrival of this day.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
A great shame - the DC Visa was great for collection Avios at places where Amex is not accepted. That, and the companion Amex will be going in the drawer. And I don't think mine will be alone in that respect.
Mine will be cancelled and a request for a partial refund of the fee.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Mine will be cancelled and a request for a partial refund of the fee.
Ah, I'm on the free 2/1 Avios for Amex/Visa, not the paid card. I'd do the same.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
I shall be cancelling too. I believe that my renewal date is in October so that ties in nicely. It's been a great card. I must have been one of the last people to get them before bmi was sold to BA, I got my application in a few weeks before it was finalised.

Now I need to find an alternative. Usually I'd go for the BA Amex, but I just churned it this spring to get the 25k bonus miles on this years holiday. Argh! I suppose I could sign up again and forgo the bonus...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:17 am

I'm surprised we got so long out of it. I guess the MBNA contract finally reached a termination point that BA (presumably?) could pull the plug.

Farewell to the last vestige of BD (apart from the A321 midhaul seats!).

A great FF scheme.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
The main question now will be when do we stop spending on the card.
I just noticed on another DC page

With your Diamond Club Credit Card from MBNA, you will earn destinations miles every time you make a purchase using your credit card(s) on or before 30
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

Oxon Flyer and I will therefore shortly be entering an extended state of mourning. Please respect our privacy at this sad time.

There may also be flags at half-mast floating over the East Mids countryside in final recognition of the demise of the last remaining vestige of BD.

If I were actually at home at the moment, flags would be at half mast over TL Towers.

Anybody got any CC recommendations? This is the nail in the coffin of my relationship with BAEC, it might be quite liberating.

....maybe one day, bmi regional will start a *A aligned ff programme with s credit card attached. Diamond Club has a nice ring to it.....

Last edited by Tiger_lily; Aug 31, 2016 at 7:37 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.