Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: World Traveller

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Question Seating Queries: World Traveller

This thread is a continuation of the very popular Seating Queries: World Traveller thread. Its purpose is for all your questions (and answers) regarding the best, worst, noisiest, and quietest seats in World Traveller (BA’s long haul economy class). Each slide below contains a three digit alpha-numeric code which relate to specific aircraft type. These "aircraft type" codes are displayed in the Manage My Booking page when you select your seats.

There is one question that is commonly asked on FT:
Are there specific window seats next to window blanks? There a few instances but they are very few - these are highlighted in red on each slide. If there are any others I haven’t mentioned, please let me know and I’ll update the slides.

The BA Source seat maps
Aircraft fitted with 2018 WT seats
77T Boeing 777-200ER (32J 52W 252M)

Aircraft fitted with 2010 WT seats
38A Airbus A380 (14F 97J 55W 303M)
77X Boeing 777-200 (17F 48J 24W 127M)
77C/77D Boeing 777-200ER (14F 48J 40W 124M)
77N Boeing 777-300ER (14F 56J 44W 183M)
788 Boeing 787-8 (35J 25W 154M)
789 Boeing 787-9 (8F 42J 39W 127M)

Aircraft fitted with refurbished 2000 WT seats

74S Boeing 747-400 (14F 86J 30W 145M)

Aircraft fitted with 2000 WT seats
74J Boeing 747-400 (14F 52J 36W 235M)
77F Boeing 777-200ER (12F 48J 32W 127M)
77S Boeing 777-200ER (48J 24W 203M)

If you have any questions relating to World Traveller cabins or about the selection of seats, please post them here, as well as your recommendations.

Related threads
BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...787-8-9-a.html
Seating guide: Boeing 777
Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh
LGW & LHR selected 777s go 10-abreast (3-4-3) in Y 2018 onwards

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 26, 2019 at 5:20 am Reason: General update 21 Apr 2019
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Just a bit of pedantry... 772ER three class starts in row 16 in economy out of LHR (with 48J) and in row 15 out of LGW (with 40J).

I know this because my 17C on an overnight to BKK suddenly looked much less appealing (it's the infinite legroom seat, 16C on the diagram above) when I looked at this thread.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Just a bit of pedantry... 772ER three class starts in row 16 in economy out of LHR (with 48J) and in row 15 out of LGW (with 40J).

I know this because my 17C on an overnight to BKK suddenly looked much less appealing (it's the infinite legroom seat, 16C on the diagram above) when I looked at this thread.
Thanks, i wasn't aware of this distinction. I've added links to the seat maps published on the BA Source website - they cover all the variations
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:07 am

Hubby is flying on the 777 next month. Long haul. We are usually trying to get 29c/h because he is really tall. I am not sure what to think about the exit rows. We now got 37C but do you think 37H is better? I thought the left side is better because there are more restrooms, so ppl won't be waiting in line that long. Or what about the middle seat? He's is not a big fan of them but I think he won't get bothered as much like on the aisle. Window seat is not an option because of the door that Takes away a lot of your legroom.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:43 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'm not sure I see much to recommend one side of the aircraft over the other really, maybe someone else knows better.

I would say that there don't appear to be many "better" seats (29c and 29h being the pick as you already identified), the exit rows are otherwise the only others that have a little extra to recommend them. The downside is possible queues for the loos, slightly narrower seats with solid armrests to accommodate the tray table, and the possibility of babies in the bassinet positions.

Keep checking for 29c/h availability, POUGs to WTP and finally asking for a paid upgrade at the airport would be my advice, keeping your existing assignment if all else fails. Don't plump for the middle seat - these *never* have anything to recommend them regardless of position.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Melle33
[Hubby is flying on the 777 next month. Long haul. We are usually trying to get 29c/h because he is really tall. I am not sure what to think about the exit rows. We now got 37C but do you think 37H is better? I thought the left side is better because there are more restrooms, so ppl won't be waiting in line that long. Or what about the middle seat? He's is not a big fan of them but I think he won't get bothered as much like on the aisle. Window seat is not an option because of the door that Takes away a lot of your legroom.
This looks like the 777-300. Now the door bustle is quite slim on that series of aircraft, the window seat is where I would go (hypothetically!). Some well known websites give incorrect information on that door. There is plenty of space for the legs alongside the door, and a fair gap between the door and the seat anyway. Personally I'd go for the H seat since normally starboard is quieter, but the toilets will counteract that.

Some cabin crew have made similar points here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...300-seats.html

I don't think I've ever met anyone of the male gender who has ever thought that middle seats were a good idea! Moreover if you booked it, the aisle and window would definitely be taken, whereas not every middle seat gets used.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:45 am

Can anybody find a picture of the exit row on this aircraft version ? I really tried but can't find anything.
2 weeks ago I was on a 777 too ( same routing) but I don't remember what version it was. All I remember was: damn that poor guy sitting on the window in the exit row. It looked like a regular economy seat because of that big bulky door.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Melle33
Can anybody find a picture of the exit row on this aircraft version ? I really tried but can't find anything.
2 weeks ago I was on a 777 too ( same routing) but I don't remember what version it was. All I remember was: damn that poor guy sitting on the window in the exit row. It looked like a regular economy seat because of that big bulky door.
Um, a fair old proportion of people are in this forum to ensure that they don't fly WT at all! I don't have a photo either, but what I can do is check what aircraft type you are referring to if you have the date and route. Or you can find out yourself on thebasource.com in the tracking section. A 777-200 is quite a different beast to the 300.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:39 pm

777-300 row 37

Have to fly WT for first time in a while... 37abk are open.

are these decent seats - does the door thing push into the 37a seat? are the restrictions of having the screen in your arm rest annoying? should i just sit with a middle aisle seat which i have at the mo?

sorry but i can't find a WT seating thread, seems to have been closed?

thanks so much
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:46 pm

I think the Mod found it for you!

Your question is similar to the one in post 4 above and the linked thread in post 6. The key difference compared to the other 777s is that the gap in front of row 37 and the shape of the door means it isn't such a bad layout in the window seat. There is about 1 or 2 cms lost on the sides due to the in seat TV, but there again some people find that having more flexibility with the IFE allows them to position themselves more comfortably.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:24 am

Thank you

Do you think that would be better than a standard middle aisle seat?

Can you leave your seats from row 37 without the others having to get up?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by bigRW
Do you think that would be better than a standard middle aisle seat?

Can you leave your seats from row 37 without the others having to get up?
You can normally get out of row 37 without disturbing others. As for "better" than the middle block, that's a personal choice, depending on (e.g.) how tall and / or tubby you are, how often you get out of your seat, whether you end up with an empty seat next to you (unlikely in row 37), whether you want proximate baggage storage and so on. Personally I'd go for row 37 but others would choose differently.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Just came across this guide, seems very well done! Thanks Prospero! I hope never to have to use it
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by bigRW
Have to fly WT for first time in a while... 37abk are open.

are these decent seats - does the door thing push into the 37a seat? are the restrictions of having the screen in your arm rest annoying? should i just sit with a middle aisle seat which i have at the mo?

sorry but i can't find a WT seating thread, seems to have been closed?

thanks so much

Here you go. Found a pic of 37k on a 700-300er. I still feel like it's really bulky. If you are not that tall I think the window seat will be fine and still better than any other seat in WT, besides 29c/h.

Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The only smaller door bustles on the -300 are in WT plus cabin at doors 3, doors 3 do not have a slide raft stowed inside as these are stowed under the door inside the fuselage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.