Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: World Traveller

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 4:16 am

747-400 Duo Seats Last Row (53)

HI All

I have booked and paid for duo seats on the 747 (Economy). We have row 52 currently booked which is the second to last row.

Initially i wanted to book row 53 being the last row so we could recline. But i am worried about passengers hanging around for the toilet.

For anyone that has been on this plane can you tell me is there an anywhere people could wait for the toilet other than the aisle and if we will be disturbed? It is a night flight.

I have sat in this row on an a380 upstairs (air france) and there was room in the galley for people to wait and we didn't get disturbed. But never been on a BA 747 so wanted peoples experiences.

Thanks
Old May 30, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Probably best to try and figure out the precise cabin config as there may be more than one (747-400 may not be specific enough to tell you all the nuances). Once you have that then the section on 747 seating on this forum is a good starting point (at the top of the BAEC forum there are some pinned posts). Also there are sites like SeatGuru where reviews can be found.

Hope that helps
Old May 30, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
You can check here (but you'll need to know which version of 747 you're on:-

British Airways B747-400 14F/52J/36W/235Y Seat Map
Old May 30, 2018, 4:47 am
Suspended

There’s no galley at the rear. I’ve sat in row 51 many years ago. I would definitely avoid row 53.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Row 52 is definitely the best one and i would keep it if i were you.
51 has to be avoided as the screens are slightly misaligned (due to the change from 3 seats - row 50 - to 2 seats)
53 is indeed very close the the toilets and noisy.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:19 am

Yeah i knew about the misaligned screens and why we chose row 52.

I cant seem to find a cabin tour on you tube for BA but i can for other airlines and i see there is no divider between row 53 and the back of the plane.

It looks like it leans into an exit and then just some toilets with a small corridor to get over the other side of the aircraft. Maybe i'm best staying in 52.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bastien003
....51 has to be avoided as the screens are slightly misaligned (due to the change from 3 seats - row 50 - to 2 seats)...
Never noticed this.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by timtamd
Maybe i'm best staying in 52.
I would and have quite a few times and in my humble view it's the best of the 3 pairs at the back. Here's a photo of the bit of extra legroom to the side which is a bonus.

Old May 30, 2018, 5:29 am

Thanks Peter
Old May 30, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by richardwft
Originally Posted by Bastien003
51 has to be avoided as the screens are slightly misaligned (due to the change from 3 seats - row 50 - to 2 seats)
Never noticed this.
It's a pretty marginal misalignment.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by timtamd
Thanks Peter
Taken in 2011on my way to SFO but it gives you an idea. Believe it or not, those shoes and trousers were fashionable 7 years ago!!
tedcruz likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:34 am

Such a shame that my outbound flight is on a refurbed bird and return is on an old bird! Think I will stick with row 52.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BA blue
I'm flying on the BA8 from HND in september. According to the seat map this seems to be on the 777-300.

To minimize jet lag and help turn the day around i'm staying up for the whole flight, so i'd like to be as comfy as possible. Prepared to upgrade to WTP at the airport if the price is right, but that's no guarantee.

My criteria is in the following order: Being able to get up and use the toilets or visit the bar with ease, as little disturbance from ny neighbors doing the same as possible, and okay(ish) leg room and easy access to storage. Getting off the plane quickly is also a bonus.

29 C and H is of course taken, but most of the exit row in 37 is open. I'm considering going for 37A as that looks like a good seat. But i also see that 35J looks decent in anything other than leg room. Is there any downsides to that seat? Will be looking into and smelling the toilet for 12 hours?

What happens with the money i pay to reserve seats if i get an upgrade at the airport?

Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:57 am

I'd take an exit seat and therefore 37 A or K long before I took row 35.

For refunds see this on ba.com

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...es-and-refunds

Refunds

When you can claim a refund

You can claim a refund for seats you paid to reserve if:
  • there is an aircraft change, or your flight has been cancelled and we’re unable to move you to a suitable alternative seat that you’re happy with
  • you become unable to meet the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) safety requirements to sit in an exit row seat and you contact us at least 48 hours before your flight
  • you have paid for an upgrade and do not wish to pay the difference in order to reselect your seat in the alternative cabin
========================================

When you cannot claim a refund

• If you cancel your flight.
  • If you are upgraded by us.
  • If you are not suitable to sit in the seat type you have selected (according to CAA safety regulations) e.g. an exit row seat.
  • If you choose to change your flight, you will be entitled to choose an equivalent seat on your new flight. If you change to a lower priced seat, we will be unable to refund you the difference.
  • If you booked a British Airways operated flight through another airline, e.g. Iberia, and you change your flight, you will not receive a refund for the reserved seats and you will need to reserve and pay for seats again on the new flight.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
First time flyer in BA going LHR-AUS pretty soon and currently seating on 40H but can change seats thanks to OWS. It appears to be a B747-400.

Checking thebasource.com it says those seats don't have power and the plane has no wifi. Is this correct?

Last edited by living near shamu; Jul 12, 2018 at 1:41 pm Reason: Adding seat picture

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.