Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: World Traveller Plus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:54 pm

I am soon going to be new to flying WT+ with BA, and have no status. I really like LH PE to Europe but it has gotten too darn expensive. I would appreciate advice on what seats to pick for the following:

I have two trips upcoming to LHR to book, and I have a choice of WT+ on an A380-800 (in and out of SFO) or WT+ on an A787-9 (in and out of SJC), about the same price. Though I am closer to SJC I could easily manage to fly in and out of SFO, or do a multi-city combination.

Most important to me are:
1. I usually do aisle seats (for easy and frequent access to the loo, so as not to drive my seat mate nuts, and to be able to dash when it is free), and
2. to be able to use the maximum recline allowed in WT+ (except during meals) and use a foot rest (I have back and joint problems), and
3. ability to put a moderate sized but stuffed backpack either under the seat in front of me, or into a private bin that would allow me access to it during take-off, landing, and turbulence and thus guarantee not having to have my pack checked because there is no overhead space. My pack is full of my essential meds and my long trips would be disasters if my meds were lost due to having to be checked.

I hate the IFE boxes that modern planes so often have now that prevent me from stowing my pack, or having to put my pack into the overhead in business class at take-off and landing and not have access during turbulence when you are trapped under your seat belt.

IFE access and food quality or choices are unimportant.
​​​​​​​
Toilet smells and people changing diapers on the seat next to me are not desirable, but if needed, I know how to breathe through my mouth

Last edited by ermdjdsj; Mar 7, 2018 at 6:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ermdjdsj
I am soon going to be new to flying WT+ with BA, and have no status. I really like LH PE to Europe but it has gotten too darn expensive. I would appreciate advice on what seats to pick for the following:

I have two trips upcoming to LHR to book, and I have a choice of WT+ on an A380-800 (in and out of SFO) or WT+ on an A787-9 (in and out of SJC), about the same price. Though I am closer to SJC I could easily manage to fly in and out of SFO, or do a multi-city combination.

Most important to me are:
1. I usually do aisle seats (for easy and frequent access to the loo, so as not to drive my seat mate nuts, and to be able to dash when it is free), and
2. to be able to use the maximum recline allowed in WT+ (except during meals) and use a foot rest (I have back and joint problems), and
3. ability to put a moderate sized but stuffed backpack either under the seat in front of me, or into a private bin that would allow me access to it during take-off, landing, and turbulence and thus guarantee not having to have my pack checked because there is no overhead space. My pack is full of my essential meds and my long trips would be disasters if my meds were lost due to having to be checked.

I hate the IFE boxes that modern planes so often have now that prevent me from stowing my pack, or having to put my pack into the overhead in business class at take-off and landing and not have access during turbulence when you are trapped under your seat belt.

IFE access and food quality or choices are unimportant.

Toilet smells and people changing diapers on the seat next to me are not desirable, but if needed, I know how to breathe through my mouth
I haven't been on an A380 but on the 787-9 I prefer the bulkhead but that won't work for you because you want to access your bag during takeoff/landing. There are no storage in the seats and you wouldn't be able to put your bag under the seat and use your footrest. Personally I keep everything overhead and get up and down as I need things. Technically they will not want you to have your bag out during takeoff and landing anyway but as soon as they take off you could get up/down and get your bag out of overhead.

Now if I couldn't get bulkhead I would go for the last row because then you could put your bag behind your seat during flight. The middle section would probably be best because it is forward of the restrooms instead of next to. All seats in WTP on the 787-9 have full recline even the back rows. All seats except bulkhead have the same legroom and only the rear seats you could put something behind the seat.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
In your case, given the requirements you outlined above, I’d recommend the A380. As WT+ is on the upper deck, all window seats have access to a side bin, which would allow you to store a small bag with your meds and give you easy access to them at all stages of your flight.

I also find the A380 far quieter and therefore easier to sleep/nap.

IFE boxes I’ve never noticed as being a problem in WT+ due to plenty of legroom and the footrest.

I believe it’s been confirmed elsewhere in the forum that no seat has limited recline, so you should be fine on that front.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by GM1985
In your case, given the requirements you outlined above, I’d recommend the A380. As WT+ is on the upper deck, all window seats have access to a side bin, which would allow you to store a small bag with your meds and give you easy access to them at all stages of your flight.

I also find the A380 far quieter and therefore easier to sleep/nap.

IFE boxes I’ve never noticed as being a problem in WT+ due to plenty of legroom and the footrest.

I believe it’s been confirmed elsewhere in the forum that no seat has limited recline, so you should be fine on that front.
It's a close call but if getting access to your stuff is very important then I'd echo this view re the window bins which I personally find very useful. Here area few photos of mine from an A380 trip which gives will give you an idea.

If you choose an odd numbered row you get 2 bins and if you can snag 61 A/K, bassinet/cot seats which usually blocked until at least T-72 and I have seen them opening up as late as T-5 hours so refrain from printing your BP as that will stop you from re-seating yourself. These really are wonderful seats with lots of legroom (61 A/K)I'm just under 6ft and stretched all the way out I could hardly touch the bulkhead and it's easy to step over any seatmate. I wouldn't choose the last row or middle block aisle seat on the A380 as they are right adjacent to the loo door!

Depending on your budget or Avios stash then you could consider asking for an airport upgrade to business (see the AUP thread) or if there is availability see if there are any seats on the dates you're travelling. (25 or 30k Avios per sector)

On the other hand if SJC is far more convenient and you want an aisle seat then I'd plump for the 789 and I'm in that next week in WT+ so I'll take a few photos but in the meantime here are the A380 photos.

Last edited by PETER01; Mar 8, 2018 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:09 am

Many thanks to umm, GM, and Peter!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by snuffi
Quick one from me as there does not seem to be much on this in this thread other than a couple of posts. Overnight SJO to LGW on a 3-class 777-200 with 3 rows of WTP (12-13-14). Currently in 12A/B, the bulkhead, but wondering if 14A/B might be better. My knees tend to give me considerable gip if I cannot straighten my legs every now and again. Is 12B my best bet as I can kind of use the aisle but I risk getting trodden on, or do I actually want 14A where I can stretch them out underneath row 13 and not be disturbed?
Thanks
S
Did you travel yet? Just wondering which you went for in the end and if you have any feedback on the bulkhead.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
Hi all
I have had a search and turned up nothing, though I'm sure it's been covered somewhere and I just can't find it! So- re front row on WTP on A380- can anyone comment on whether these seats have a leg rest? Not a footrest, I know that's not there- no seat to fold down from in front- but what about an extending leg rest?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
LHR-IAH is world traveler plus the new seats or old ones?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What aircraft?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Did you travel yet? Just wondering which you went for in the end and if you have any feedback on the bulkhead.
Currently sitting in 12K waiting to take off at LGW. I’m 6’ 3” and feel the bulkhead is fine. I can almost fully stretch my legs like a can in other WTP seats, the main benefit is that my feet are not obstructed by seat legs and IFE boxes.

I have slept fine in bulkhead WTP seats on both the 777 and 747.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by DaveNCL

Currently sitting in 12K waiting to take off at LGW. I’m 6’ 3” and feel the bulkhead is fine. I can almost fully stretch my legs like a can in other WTP seats, the main benefit is that my feet are not obstructed by seat legs and IFE boxes.

I have slept fine in bulkhead WTP seats on both the 777 and 747.
Thanks for the feedback. Hope you had a good flight.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What aircraft?
I believe 4 cabin 777 200
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on the current PE sale ZRH/BSL-LON-NYC // NYC-LON-ZRH/BSL for CHF 700 / GBP 510. Would upgrade the inbound to CW using Avios.

Can you give me advice on what to look out for hard-product wise? My research so far suggests the best PE is on the non-747 machines. Is that still accurate?

And what would be the best option for the inbound? (I admit this last question is somewhat off-topic. Assuming I will get the Avios upgrade, I should ask in the respective CW thread.)
Old May 4, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There are two configurations of B744, if WT plus is rows 11-16 you have the older IFE and un-upgraded seat.
Looks like this will be the configuration of our flight (BA 0192 in late Sept. of this year). Does BA have any plans to upgrade the WT+ cabin on these aircraft?
Old May 4, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jlemon
Looks like this will be the configuration of our flight (BA 0192 in late Sept. of this year). Does BA have any plans to upgrade the WT+ cabin on these aircraft?
Yes, to a limited extent - and not all of the aircraft in this configuration: Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.