Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: World Traveller Plus

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are two configurations of B744, if WT plus is rows 11-16 you have the older IFE and un-upgraded seat.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by petteriusa
Question for you all. I'm a little confused on the current state of the 747 in WT+. Knowing there are still a few variants and I'm slated to be on the older of these I'm wondering if the IFE or indeed anything has been updated on these AC at all.
If you are sat in row 14 or 15 in WTP then you are definitely on the 52J 747 which hasn't been fitted with the Panasonic eX3 system that is on the 86J jumbos, so it is the Rockwell Collins. It's not really the screen size that has changed between these systems, it's the pixels and the digital database which is the difference. For the R-C system the screen won't have changed from the MIA service, however the world/expectations have certainly moved on and so I'm sure you will bring your own entertainment just in case.

Row 15 has a full recline but it's less attractive to some travellers due to the proximity to the toilets and galley. Just market forces.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you are sat in row 14 or 15 in WTP then you are definitely on the 52J 747 which hasn't been fitted with the Panasonic eX3 system that is on the 86J jumbos, so it is the Rockwell Collins. It's not really the screen size that has changed between these systems, it's the pixels and the digital database which is the difference. For the R-C system the screen won't have changed from the MIA service, however the world/expectations have certainly moved on and so I'm sure you will bring your own entertainment just in case.

Row 15 has a full recline but it's less attractive to some travellers due to the proximity to the toilets and galley. Just market forces.
Thanks! Yes, I'll have my laptop, but hopefully sleeping most of the flight away. I wouldn't book a flight on this 747 for a daytime flight. Slightly concerned about power, not going to bother to source an outdated adaptor for this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by petteriusa
Also is there a reason BA charges less for row 15 as opposed to 14?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Row 15 has a full recline but it's less attractive to some travellers due to the proximity to the toilets and galley.
15 is a bit of a mixed bag because of the cabin layout. For example, in my view 15A is good for a solo traveller who doesn't mind a window seat, not least because if you really need to it is just possible to get out of the seat by squeezing between 15A and the cabin sidewall and then squeezing between the seat backs and the front of the toilet; it's shielded from the galley and toilet door. However, 15B really should be avoided because of disturbance from the toilet door plus the likelihood that it will get bumped into by people walking forward because it protrudes into the walking route. So it may be that the pricing for row 15 reflects this mixture.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
WTP on 747 out of LHR

Hi folks,

Sorry for asking a question that is probably answered elsewhere, but.....

Assuming I'm unable to purchase an upgrade to CW, what seat would you recommend I select?

I'm guessing it will be the old style WTP, but what can I expect?!

Thanks in advance

Dom
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Don't both upgraded and old 747s fly from LHR? If you know your flight details you can check against this link - http://thebasource.com/seatmaps.html
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dombo17uk
... what can I expect?!
A number of FTers guessing what route you're flying on, and (as offshore_bob indicates) guessing which configuration is planned to operate your specific flight.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:09 am

Oh yeah, that might help-sorry!!

I'm flying LHR to MIA on 20/11 on a 747 returning KIN to LGW on 01/12 on a 777.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You can, unfortunately, expect very poor quality IFE on the old 52J 747 which flies the BA207.

Take some decent tablet / reading material of your own and enjoy
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying LHR to MIA on 20/11 on a 747
If you're on your own, 15A is not a bad seat although it's on the sunny side.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:12 pm

Thanks peeps, iPad is fully loaded! So, I've currently got 13D. To change or not to change?! I'm still hoping for the magic beep though!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks peeps, iPad is fully loaded! So, I've currently got 13D. To change or not to change?! I'm still hoping for the magic beep though!
If you don't mind an aisle seat rather than a window, then there's nothing wrong with 13D. But don't expect the adjacent seat (13E) to remain empty.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you don't mind an aisle seat rather than a window, then there's nothing wrong with 13D. But don't expect the adjacent seat (13E) to remain empty.
Thanks Globaliser. Should the front row open up, is it worth changing?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Globaliser. Should the front row open up, is it worth changing?
Personally, I don't like the front row. There is less foot room, in the sense that you cannot slide your feet as far forward as if you are in a non-bulkhead row. In the past, I have moved myself from 12B to 13B on seeing that 13A was empty, for precisely this reason.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Personally, I don't like the front row. There is less foot room, in the sense that you cannot slide your feet as far forward as if you are in a non-bulkhead row. In the past, I have moved myself from 12B to 13B on seeing that 13A was empty, for precisely this reason.
So, for a 6'5" chap, avoid the front row?! Got it loud and clear. Thanks again for all your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.