Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: World Traveller Plus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Ellinor Grasso and welcome in particular to the BA forum. You have come to the right place to get advice and hopefully we can give you more information.

Now the posts in this thread are quite old, so don't be too surprised or concerned if the Moderators move things around a bit. Over that time a fair bit has happened to the BA fleet so events have overtaken the information above to some degree.

Essentially most of BA's longhaul flights have 4 cabins:
- World Traveller = Economy = WT
- World Traveller Plus = Premium economy and the subject of the original post = WTP
- Club World = Business = CW
- First

If you are going to California, then a variety of aircraft are used, including 747s, but there are other aircraft as well, and the seat plans are best found here:
http://thebasource.com/seatmaps.html
If you can be more specific about dates and cities then we can also advise you more specifically.

WTP is a good choice for those larger than average, and you should be able to get in a set-up with 2 seats. If you don't want anyone too close to you then you probably want a Club World window seat or a First seat, which are more private for single passengers. CW window seats have a screen on it so that for most of the flight you need not see very much of the other passengers on board.

Have a look at the stickies and Dashboard for more information, but don't hesitate to revert back here for more specific answers.
Ellinor Grasso likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Lots of different questions here, so welcome to the forum. The thread in which this was originally posted (now moved) is nearly old enough to drink alcohol in its own right, and a lot has changed in the meantime, but here are the answers I think you're looking for.

1. It depends where in CA you're flying - and if CA is Canada or California. You'll start by flying to London on an Airbus A319 or A320 and from there, you'll connect to your destination on a widebody aircraft - could be a Boeing 747, 777, or 787 (in descending order of size). However, the World Traveller Plus product is fairly similar. If you tell us the exact airport, and when you're flying, we'll be able to tell you more - but in places where there are two flights per day, each flight can have a different kind of plane, and it can be different at different times of year as well.

2. I'm a little taller than you (though male) and about 85 kg. I'll explain the different products below:

i. WT (World Traveller) - standard economy product. Most seats have around 31"/77cm of legroom and around 18"/45cm of width. You will get a standard airline meal and one checked bag. You will typically sit as part of a bench of three or four. You use standard airline security and you do not have any private lounge access before or after your flight.

ii. WTP (World Traveller Plus) - premium economy product. You have 10-15 cm more legroom, and a wider seat, which makes a big difference if you're above average height. You also get a second checked bag. The seat reclines more, but you do not lie flat. You will sit in groups of 2 to 4. (You may have to pay to make sure that you get a seat in a pair). You use standard airline security and you do not have any private lounge access before or after your flight. The cost premium over WT is usually quite small. You get a business class main course, but all other food is the same as in economy.

iii. CW (Club World). This is the business class product. The seats are not very wide, similar to WTP - but nor are they particularly narrow. However, you have essentially unlimited legroom and a seat that reclines fully flat. You will typically sit in a group of 2 or 4, but with a divider that hides your neighbours from view. The flat bed and the divider make sleeping much, much easier on a night flight. You will also receive better food during the flight.

You have fast track airline security and a private lounge before the flight, with an open pour bar and some savoury snacks, sandwiches and a light meal and, in London at least, a shower. This also applies between connecting flights. Unless you are a very regular traveller, you will have to pay to choose a seat except in the last 24h before travel. Most seats are fairly comparable, however. The cost premium over WTP is usually, but not always, quite large, but it does make a big difference to the unpleasant aspects of flying.

Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee that you'll be sitting alone unless you buy a (usually very much more expensive) first class ticket, or maybe travel on another airline that has a 1-2-1 seating arrangement in business class (so that there are seats with no neighbours). The cost for this is likely to be comparable to Club World, and you wouldn't usually have the privacy divider, so it may not be much better for you.

Last edited by Cymro; Sep 24, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Legroom on the 787-9

Hi All,
I am 6'5 and never been in WTP before, flying to TLV on on BA165 Thursday, currently in 16B, the bulkhead. Is this a good seat for legroom? There are a couple in 20 and 21 still available. Hoping for that unlikely upgrade of course, but any advice on legroom gratefully received.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tootall33
Hi All,
I am 6'5 and never been in WTP before, flying to TLV on on BA165 Thursday, currently in 16B, the bulkhead. Is this a good seat for legroom? There are a couple in 20 and 21 still available. Hoping for that unlikely upgrade of course, but any advice on legroom gratefully received.
More knee room, less foot room - so if you have exceedingly long thighs you may be more comfortable, but you'll have less room to stretch your legs altogether. I've not done enough WTP to really form a firm opinion but I'm facing the same dilemma as you but for an overnight... sorry if that's not really helpful.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:10 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by Cymro
Lots of different questions here, so welcome to the forum. The thread in which this was originally posted (now moved) is nearly old enough to drink alcohol in its own right, and a lot has changed in the meantime, but here are the answers I think you're looking for.

1. It depends where in CA you're flying - and if CA is Canada or California. You'll start by flying to London on an Airbus A319 or A320 and from there, you'll connect to your destination on a widebody aircraft - could be a Boeing 747, 777, or 787 (in descending order of size). However, the World Traveller Plus product is fairly similar. If you tell us the exact airport, and when you're flying, we'll be able to tell you more - but in places where there are two flights per day, each flight can have a different kind of plane, and it can be different at different times of year as well.

2. I'm a little taller than you (though male) and about 85 kg. I'll explain the different products below:

i. WT (World Traveller) - standard economy product. Most seats have around 31"/77cm of legroom and around 18"/45cm of width. You will get a standard airline meal and one checked bag. You will typically sit as part of a bench of three or four. You use standard airline security and you do not have any private lounge access before or after your flight.

ii. WTP (World Traveller Plus) - premium economy product. You have 10-15 cm more legroom, and a wider seat, which makes a big difference if you're above average height. You also get a second checked bag. The seat reclines more, but you do not lie flat. You will sit in groups of 2 to 4. (You may have to pay to make sure that you get a seat in a pair). You use standard airline security and you do not have any private lounge access before or after your flight. The cost premium over WT is usually quite small. You get a business class main course, but all other food is the same as in economy.

iii. CW (Club World). This is the business class product. The seats are not very wide, similar to WTP - but nor are they particularly narrow. However, you have essentially unlimited legroom and a seat that reclines fully flat. You will typically sit in a group of 2 or 4, but with a divider that hides your neighbours from view. The flat bed and the divider make sleeping much, much easier on a night flight. You will also receive better food during the flight.

You have fast track airline security and a private lounge before the flight, with an open pour bar and some savoury snacks, sandwiches and a light meal and, in London at least, a shower. This also applies between connecting flights. Unless you are a very regular traveller, you will have to pay to choose a seat except in the last 24h before travel. Most seats are fairly comparable, however. The cost premium over WTP is usually, but not always, quite large, but it does make a big difference to the unpleasant aspects of flying.

Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee that you'll be sitting alone unless you buy a (usually very much more expensive) first class ticket, or maybe travel on another airline that has a 1-2-1 seating arrangement in business class (so that there are seats with no neighbours). The cost for this is likely to be comparable to Club World, and you wouldn't usually have the privacy divider, so it may not be much better for you.
Sorry for not giving all the information.
I have not booked a ticket yet. Flying sometime next year, in the spring.
From what I know I will be flying from Billund Danmark to London and then to LAX.
Thank you so much for the information. I have been looking at the seating of each plane to try and figure it out.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:25 pm

Well, to LAX it could be any of the aircraft. I'd say that the most important thing is timing, rather than the particular (BA) plane you're on. If you want to be seated alone, you could consider American Airlines in business class - they offer seating in a "1-2-1" layout (so you have one seat, then two, then one) and free seat selection. Currently that's about 22,000 DKK, compared to just 3,000 DKK in economy (e.g., on 31 March)!

The biggest disadvantage of American Airlines over BA, however, is that you would have to change terminals in Heathrow, plus the timings may not be convenient. (But if you are in business class that does get you some better lounge options...)

You can mix and match BA and AA operated flights, and economy and business class, if you feel that would help.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
In WT+ I usually sit myself on the right of the centre aisle section to the rear, ideally on a row in which the leftmost seat is taken. More often than not you get the middle seat open, if not the occupant tends to psychologically believe they're on the left so use the lockers that side and go that way to the toilets.

I do do a lot of WT+ to Asia, and find it comfortable enough. You just have to roll with what you get, and not get stressed about getting the best theoretical seats.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by dramamime
Ah, I was looking for the seat map for my flight and I think this may be the one! It is rows 18-20. Would anyone happen to know if the arm rests go down in the new WTP, excluding front and exit rows?

Thank you!
Was having a bit of a panic attack when I downloaded my OLCI e-boarding passes from LHR-DXB and found my seat was 20J. When I consulted the four seat maps for WT+ on the BA web site to see where it was located, the only row 20 on the 777s was a regular middle seat in the WT cabin on the 3-class.

So it seems there are a few 777s that do have this small WT+ cabin, so somewhat relieved and hope this is indeed the case. All my ticketing material refers to either WT+" or "T" but couldn't figure why I could find nothing on the BA site that corresponded with this configuration.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Was having a bit of a panic attack when I downloaded my OLCI e-boarding passes from LHR-DXB and found my seat was 20J. When I consulted the four seat maps for WT+ on the BA web site to see where it was located, the only row 20 on the 777s was a regular middle seat in the WT cabin on the 3-class.

So it seems there are a few 777s that do have this small WT+ cabin, so somewhat relieved and hope this is indeed the case. All my ticketing material refers to either WT+" or "T" but couldn't figure why I could find nothing on the BA site that corresponded with this configuration.
The best seat maps are here: http://thebasource.com/seatmaps.html.

And I think this must be the specific seat map for your flight: http://thebasource.com/seatmaps/772/17f48j24w127y.html. These seem to be the remaining non-ER aircraft: G-ZZZA, G-ZZZB and G-ZZZC.

In comparison to the BA Source, the BA website is not very good for seat maps.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Heading to Mumbai with a colleague on a work trip. I'm in WT+ as this is company policy for my grade.
19th Nov - BA139
24th Nov - BA198

Aircraft is a 12F 777 both ways, which I believe means it's one of the non-refurbished G-YMM* series including retro IFE.

I'm in 21J on the way out - this is a bulk head seat. Can anyone confirm if this seat has a full complement of windows next to it? Only available window seat is 24K.

On the return I'm in 24A, as the only bulkhead seats are in the centre row of 4 which might well place me in very close proximity to a baby in the bassinet. Is this a good seat?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Row 21 has a full set of windows plus a bassinet position so you may have a baby in 21K.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Row 21 has a full set of windows plus a bassinet position so you may have a baby in 21K.
Thanks for the heads up
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Can I ask people who are travelling more regularly than me on BA: Has BA changed the WT+ seats recently (in the last 12-18 months)?

Until about two years ago, I used to fly WT+ about once a month (was gold for several years). Change of work travel means I've been travelling on other carriers lately so just lurk at silver level. But I'm starting to travel more often on BA routes again. I flew on the 787-9 last week and the WT+ seat was downright uncomfortable. My memories of the seats from two years ago was that they were super comfortable but last week's seat was just downright solid so it was uncomfortable on the back. The headrest kept slipping (I'm 1.96m tall so this was a real pain and meant I kept waking up) and the nice headrest side supports that you used to be able to manipulate seem to have gone.

Is it just the Dreamliner that has these 'enhanced' seats?

I may switch off BA again if WT+ seats are all this bad now or just avoid 787s in the future.

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Well, to LAX it could be any of the aircraft. I'd say that the most important thing is timing, rather than the particular (BA) plane you're on. If you want to be seated alone, you could consider American Airlines in business class - they offer seating in a "1-2-1" layout (so you have one seat, then two, then one) and free seat selection. Currently that's about 22,000 DKK, compared to just 3,000 DKK in economy (e.g., on 31 March)!

The biggest disadvantage of American Airlines over BA, however, is that you would have to change terminals in Heathrow, plus the timings may not be convenient. (But if you are in business class that does get you some better lounge options...)

You can mix and match BA and AA operated flights, and economy and business class, if you feel that would help.
ty Cymro...I just stress sooooo much over this...
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Question for you all. I'm a little confused on the current state of the 747 in WT+. Knowing there are still a few variants and I'm slated to be on the older of these I'm wondering if the IFE or indeed anything has been updated on these AC at all.

I'm thinking of the IFE here; The basource.com states a 10.6" screen. I flew this same route (MIA-LHR) a few years ago and I remember the screen being smaller, but that is a faded memory. Also is there a reason BA charges less for row 15 as opposed to 14? Is the recline limited?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.