Wiki Posts
Search

Should a CW main course look like this?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Originally Posted by andyedinburgh
#firstworldproblems

I get the food may be unattractive, but inedible? Really guys.
It's probably the expectation that something will come nicely presented and tasty looking.. because I think appearance can make a difference to how much of it people consume, crazy as that might sound. It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in business/CW. On QR/EY it tends to be very ornate and fresh-looking, something this dish appears to be lacking in.

I agree that it's first world problem, but still interesting to see 'something such' served in CW. Being a (spoilt) fussy eater, that probably explains my view, but my partner, she can eat anything no matter how it looks, what it is, and I envy this - I just grew up having various intolerances and that put me off experimenting. I feel embarrassed by my timid approach to dishes with these sorts of appearances, because they can indeed be delicious (sometimes) I'm sure.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You will always get reports about poor catering and the Internet tends to shows the extremes, but to be honest in general our food has improved, if you don't fly with us Concerto you will never know.
This is a very fair comment.

I can't take anyone seriously when they suggest bringing their own food when travelling in CW or F.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
OP's dishes look quite sad to be honest.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Wow thats awful!!! I have noticed from the last 2 years that Club food has deteriorated so much its barely worth eating. I think this is as a result of further attempts to cost save and can't see it improving any time soon.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by danboy767
Wow thats awful!!! I have noticed from the last 2 years that Club food has deteriorated so much its barely worth eating. I think this is as a result of further attempts to cost save and can't see it improving any time soon.
See - I find it's improved in the last 12 months. The Guinea Fowl dish already mentioned was a particular highlight.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MPH1980
See - I find it's improved in the last 12 months. The Guinea Fowl dish already mentioned was a particular highlight.
I guess it may depend on the route but I recall 3-4 years back it was generally much better. Removal of items like grapes with cheese and the nice chocolates you used to get seem small but with the number of flights per day=massive saving for BA. I fear given the new CEO the trend will continue but cuts will be deeper.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Is that slopped all over the plate beneath? That is really slipshod.

Note - you cannot cook Risotto properly on an aircraft. Real risotto needs a saucepan and lot's of patience to get the consistency correct - that is not even the colour of a mushroom anything. As for the unspeakable mess next to it - I loath couscous and anything that is made with semolina grains but it's not my dinner.

You should have taken that back to the Galley and asked the CSD to sample it.
We're not expecting the galley to cook the actual risotto, but surely BA should spend the necessary money in ensuring that the ground catering fires up a batch that can be defrosted and heated properly in an aircraft oven.

If other airlines can do it right, why can't BA? eg are Singapore Airlines, any of the ME carriers. So is it all down to how much BA wants to spend on their customers. I bet you the CW meals don't cost that much more than what BA spends on their WT passengers.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I bet you the CW meals don't cost that much more than what BA spends on their WT passengers.
Must be 30 years since I had a fillet steak in economy.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Must be 30 years since I had a fillet steak in economy.
Nor I in J, I prefer not to do a Chaplin scene in the air, I avoid any "seared" dishes, they are usually seared to a nice mattress like texture

Last edited by gigabyte056; May 1, 2016 at 1:32 am
Old May 1, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: All the best ones.
BA is smart never to dare serve its inflight food in a canteen on the ground.
- It would be quickly closed down.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:12 am

This sort of food/presentation is mainly what i now experience in CW. Basically just slop in a plate/bowl not dissimilar to economy (difference being only the crockery), and everything overcooked and spilling over the edges.

Its been a long time since i had something tasty and well presented, there used to be one nice option ex-NRT as i think it was the japanese menu option - and possibly thats the only reason it was better quality if it wasnt made to the usual spec. I dare say they have probably removed this now though unfortunately.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
So, all this positive talk about the improvement of BA CW food is nonsense? One of the reasons I started to dislike >8hr longhaul with BA was the (very bad) food (and I am not picky) as well as the lack of flexibility in their service schedules (i.e. no dine on demand, no snack menu).

I thought that the regulars here felt this has changed for the better in the last 3 years... Was I wrong?
Old May 1, 2016, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I found my beef on my last CW flight ( LAX-LHR) last week to be fine and tasty and well presented.

The Hot english breakfast was very good also.

The introduction of the hot meal is a very good addition ( select flights?) and I think the food on the A380 is better than it has been a few years ago.

Overall I would say the food quality has generally improved but the OP's photo is of a very poor food quality.
Regards

TBS

PS Still no meal on demand and did not visit the Club Kitchen on the overnight flight back.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by henkybaby
So, all this positive talk about the improvement of BA CW food is nonsense? ...

I thought that the regulars here felt this has changed for the better in the last 3 years... Was I wrong?
No, and no.

Clearly, sometimes things go wrong - even very wrong. But generally, CW food has improved noticeably in the last 18 months or so.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by henkybaby
So, all this positive talk about the improvement of BA CW food is nonsense? One of the reasons I started to dislike >8hr longhaul with BA was the (very bad) food (and I am not picky) as well as the lack of flexibility in their service schedules (i.e. no dine on demand, no snack menu).

I've found IB long haul J food consistently to my liking yet it still attracts bad reviews. One thing I have noticed the portions on IB are smaller than you get in CW. Adequate for me but I imagine a big eater wouldn't be too happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.