Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by teledude
You can only "joker" a flight that has availability in the right bucket (A/D) and hasn't already had one applied by another GGL
Yep, that's fine, I have a variety of possible travel dates for each trip and, fingers crossed, they shouldn't all be booked up. Although with more GGL-ers around than I realised, who knows...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Yep, that's fine, I have a variety of possible travel dates for each trip and, fingers crossed, they shouldn't all be booked up. Although with more GGL-ers around than I realised, who knows...
I've had it on occasion where a GGL has already Jokered seats I want (in fact very recently booking a return flight from Vegas on Easter Sunday next year someone had already taken the J seats), but stepping up or down a cabin has always solved the issue. So if I want J I I just step up to F, or if I want F I'll step down to J.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
How flexible with date changes is a joker? For example, I know I'll have to take some last minute trips to the USA. Can I book a flight now with a soon to be expiring joker for a year out, and change the outbound and return dates to closer when I need them (subject to joker availability of course), while using the same (now expired) joker?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Pocalypse
How flexible with date changes is a joker? For example, I know I'll have to take some last minute trips to the USA. Can I book a flight now with a soon to be expiring joker for a year out, and change the outbound and return dates to closer when I need them (subject to joker availability of course), while using the same (now expired) joker?
I was told exactly that by an agent in the past - once joker is in, it's in and you can change as you please.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:07 am

Hi,

I’m due to fly on Tuesday from Heathrow and my CCR card hasn’t arrived yet. I called the GGL line today and they said they can’t do anything in advance but I have to call them on Tuesday morning and they will arrange access.

However my flight is around 7am, and apparently the relevant GGL team is only in from 6am. The agent I spoke with mentioned the list of names at the door, but said that it’s updated monthly and she’s known it to be more out of date than that.

Is there anything that can be done other than call up on the day of each flight until my card arrives (I was advised it could be up to a month). The other option she proposed was to turn up at the CCR and have them phone the GGL team, but that sounds potentially awkward, and not sure whether it solves the pre 6am issue.

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by wmaciej
I was told exactly that by an agent in the past - once joker is in, it's in and you can change as you please.
I confirmed this again with them recently to save an expiring joker - you only need the relevant revenue bucket availability. Although one caveat (which may not be an issue for the OP) is that if changing the routing, you need to stick within the same Avios band. Does anybody have experience of it working differently?

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by woglet86
Hi,

I’m due to fly on Tuesday from Heathrow and my CCR card hasn’t arrived yet. I called the GGL line today and they said they can’t do anything in advance but I have to call them on Tuesday morning and they will arrange access.

However my flight is around 7am, and apparently the relevant GGL team is only in from 6am. The agent I spoke with mentioned the list of names at the door, but said that it’s updated monthly and she’s known it to be more out of date than that.

Is there anything that can be done other than call up on the day of each flight until my card arrives (I was advised it could be up to a month). The other option she proposed was to turn up at the CCR and have them phone the GGL team, but that sounds potentially awkward, and not sure whether it solves the pre 6am issue.

Thanks
they actually can manually add your name to the CCR door list in advance.
i did that early this year when I qualified for CCR
HUACA?

Otherwise email the GGL team.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
I haven't received my card in 4 months..and they told me the same. Only on the day.
U can go to the door.. And if ur name is not on the list have them call ggl to confirm.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Noob questions:

Have some upcoming work flights which I would like to upgrade to F, but haven't yet booked them.

How do I actually use a Joker... do I have to have a booking first?
Must the booking be direct with BA or can I apply to a ta booking as well?
Finally, I would be able to choose whether to use a GUF1/2 or avios to do the actual upgrade, right?

thanks in advance!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ubiest
Noob questions:

Have some upcoming work flights which I would like to upgrade to F, but haven't yet booked them.

How do I actually use a Joker... do I have to have a booking first?
Must the booking be direct with BA or can I apply to a ta booking as well?
Finally, I would be able to choose whether to use a GUF1/2 or avios to do the actual upgrade, right?

thanks in advance!
If you're booking using a joker/Gold Guest List Redemption/Space Release and want to do it through BA then call the GGL line. You can decide whether you upgrade into the space you released using either a GUF or Avios. Don't make the booking first but do it all at the same time on the phone just in case there's a problem applying the joker (in case someone else has already used it in that cabin on that flight).

If you want to use a GUF with a TA then subject to the right fare class availability you will not need to use the Joker as it can be done without redemption availability.

Last edited by golfmad; Aug 13, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
And if using a TA make sure that they book into revenue classes (A if first). Some either can't or claim they can't (eg American Express when I asked them last week).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Curious how the following is displayed in BA’s systems:
A GUF booking via a TA from WTP into CW which books into I class. What shows in BA systems to stop somebody from calling BA and upgrading to F with Avios (if space was available rather then using a Joker) given the underlying booking in CW would display I class fare code?

Pilot37
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
Sorry tried finding the answer to this and failed.

Does the 2 guest rule apply in SLOW lounges in South Africa. I know standard gold privileges apply to Comair as a franchise partner, but does the 2 guest rule apply?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Curious how the following is displayed in BA’s systems:
A GUF booking via a TA from WTP into CW which books into I class. What shows in BA systems to stop somebody from calling BA and upgrading to F with Avios (if space was available rather then using a Joker) given the underlying booking in CW would display I class fare code?

Pilot37
I understand, even though you are booked in a revenue bucket, the agent can see that you used some form of voucher to get there (this became apparent when I had to speak to BA about an itinerary that was booked in I then upgraded by a TA to A.. Therefore, I would expect that noticing this point would make your itinerary unable to be upgraded using Avios. Although, I'm hoping someone can confirm
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I understand, even though you are booked in a revenue bucket, the agent can see that you used some form of voucher to get there (this became apparent when I had to speak to BA about an itinerary that was booked in I then upgraded by a TA to A.. Therefore, I would expect that noticing this point would make your itinerary unable to be upgraded using Avios. Although, I'm hoping someone can confirm
Correct, a note should also be in the booking that a GUF1/2 has been used.
rossmacd and Pilot37 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.