Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks both.

Resigned to flying LHR to JFK at the back then....cheap weekend away with the kids. It will be a shock to them!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Moomba
So far my experience of using all of these instruments have straight out vanilla using my own allowances.

Is it possible to use my joker & a GUF2 with another person's Avios and their 2-4-1 voucher?
Nope. It's been closed unless you get a very lenient agent. The person holding the joker now needs to pay the cash/avios.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Just tried to use a joker to UUA from WT to WT+ and was told it couldn't be done without T fare availability. Does anyone know if there is a way around this?
T class is correct. WTP is the most restricted class to use a Joker in. Had a similar issue and checked via dummy revenue bookings every day and eventually a T class seat was released. Not sure where the fare category shows up on the new website though.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teledude
Nope. It's been closed unless you get a very lenient agent. The person holding the joker now needs to pay the cash/avios.
This question was asked in a separate thread last week and the OP got a different response.

I also contacted GGL and they said I could use my joker with a friend's Avios as long as I was on the booking. However at the time I didn't go into detail about using the other instruments, 2-4-1, GUF etc.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Moomba
This question was asked in a separate thread last week and the OP got a different response.

I also contacted GGL and they said I could use my joker with a friend's Avios as long as I was on the booking. However at the time I didn't go into detail about using the other instruments, 2-4-1, GUF etc.
Sorry yes if the GGL member is flying it's fine
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Resigned to flying LHR to JFK at the back then....cheap weekend away with the kids. It will be a shock to them!
This has actually worked out really well. Instead of 'wasting' a joker on a fairly poor value redemption (UUA from WT to WTP on LHR / JFK / LHR) I was able to book the AA codeshare flights which are cheaper, better timed (especially the daytime return) and have the benefit of main cabin extra as a OWE.

Last edited by Newly Wed; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:47 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I managed to do that in February for a 2019 booking for a NCL->DXB trip for 4 seats in First (my joker, my GUF2 and 2xGUF1, my wife's Amex 2-4-1 and her Avios). Remaining two seats were for the kids. I am in a household account with the kids, my wife is not in the household account.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Sorry yes if the GGL member is flying it's fine
So if I travel with my husband on the same ticket and I want to use one of my jokers and his miles, that's OK?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
So if I travel with my husband on the same ticket and I want to use one of my jokers and his miles, that's OK?
yes, that should be fine.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Would it be possible to clarify in the Wiki what "Gold Guest List Redemption Rewards must be used within 12 calendar months" refers to? (From the T's&C's)

For example for the Amex 2-4-1 I think the 1st flight must be taken prior to the expiry date, and other legs on the booking can be taken after.

I'm interested to know whether the 'used' refers to:

1) The date by which the redemption must be booked by (as in, then giving a near year window for the flights to occur - the booking horizon)
2) The date by which all travel under the redemption must be completed by.

I'm assuming it refers to (1) but would be good to confirm, and whether the same is also true of GUF1/2 awards also.

Thanks,

David.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana4321

It's 1)
I've got a booking I have moved several times now, and it is way beyond the anniversary of its award date
Originally Posted by dylanks
I confirmed this on my first GGL phone call today, and have added it to the guide. Thanks!
Searching in this thread brings this up as the nearest answer to my question .... How does it work when using a GGL redemption (joker) and GUF1/2 voucher for a booking where the return date is outside the available booking window and the re-booking takes places after the normal expiry date of the joker?

Specifically I am thinking about a trip where I pay WTP and upgrade to CW (using a joker + GUF1) for a trip from mid-Dec 2018 to early Dec 2019. If I book this now (the price is good at the moment) then fairly obviously I will need to use a dummy date in early 2019 for the return.

If I call say in Jan 2019 (after making the outward journey - so that there is no repricing of the paid fare component) to change the return date:

(1) Do I need to use a new joker if there is no regular award availability for the new date (my BAEC year ends Aug 8th so the joker validity would already have expired)?

(2) Would I need both T (fare paid) availability and D (forced award) availability or just the latter to make the date change?

(3) Would the GUF1 even be usable still for the re(this expires in October 2018 - already extended by 6 months)?

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer on this. I am guessing that I will be out of luck here and the date change will at least require a new joker, but it will be nice to hear if anyone has experience to the contrary!
Old May 4, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
sorry to cut in here. but i am a bit upset about the situation and would like your professional advice:
I had planned to hit 5020 TPs with the last leg of my return flight from DOH on Qatar on the 1st. Now the situation is, that my BA ticket on March 21st LHR PHL ATL on AA was rerouted to LHR ATL without a notice of the OTA prior to departure. instead they even sent the original routing as a reminder 2 days prior. This new routing leaves me 40 TPs shorter at 4980. I called BAEC and asked for ORC on the 30th of March.
They told me to wait 28days. which I did. nothing. now they told me they cant credit the TPs because I wasnt on the AA flight.. what? I send a nice email to the Cruz Team.. they call me back immediately just to tell me they talked to BAEC .. I cant get the TPs. and my last leg with Qatar wont be credited before the 9th either, because of the Qatar workflow crediting flights on a Tuesday 10 days later.
Now I have a BA flight on Sunday the 6th thru LHR and JFK in CW and was looking forward to using the CCR... they say NO.. by word she says on the phone access can only be granted to those who are eligible.
So i will end my TP year on the 8th with 4840 TPs.. because I dont get my ORC.. 140 Qatar TPs will be credited on the 10th.. and the BA flight on the 6th another 220 TPS will be credited after my years i over, too..
instead of having 5240 TPs.. Is this right? fair? worth all the hassle? The jokers will be worthless, too.. right.. I asked to extend the collection year just for waiting to get the points to show.. NOT for collecting longer. NO that cant be done for GGL.. I am... upset.. and hope for understanding. Thanx folks
Old May 4, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
sorry to cut in here. but i am a bit upset about the situation and would like your professional advice:
I had planned to hit 5020 TPs with the last leg of my return flight from DOH on Qatar on the 1st. Now the situation is, that my BA ticket on March 21st LHR PHL ATL on AA was rerouted to LHR ATL without a notice of the OTA prior to departure. instead they even sent the original routing as a reminder 2 days prior. This new routing leaves me 40 TPs shorter at 4980. I called BAEC and asked for ORC on the 30th of March.
They told me to wait 28days. which I did. nothing. now they told me they cant credit the TPs because I wasnt on the AA flight.. what? I send a nice email to the Cruz Team.. they call me back immediately just to tell me they talked to BAEC .. I cant get the TPs. and my last leg with Qatar wont be credited before the 9th either, because of the Qatar workflow crediting flights on a Tuesday 10 days later.
Now I have a BA flight on Sunday the 6th thru LHR and JFK in CW and was looking forward to using the CCR... they say NO.. by word she says on the phone access can only be granted to those who are eligible.
So i will end my TP year on the 8th with 4840 TPs.. because I dont get my ORC.. 140 Qatar TPs will be credited on the 10th.. and the BA flight on the 6th another 220 TPS will be credited after my years i over, too..
instead of having 5240 TPs.. Is this right? fair? worth all the hassle? The jokers will be worthless, too.. right.. I asked to extend the collection year just for waiting to get the points to show.. NOT for collecting longer. NO that cant be done for GGL.. I am... upset.. and hope for understanding. Thanx folks
There is no extension to collection year for GGL qualification.

Just to note - flights on or before the 8th do count for the 'year' even if they post to your account after the 8th.

If there's some shortage then you really should consider whether you can do a flight to meet any shortfall.

[EDIT] from the 'Your Guide to the Executive Club Wiki "Your tier status will change as soon as you cross the next threshold, although there may be a few days lag for the system to reflect it. You will continue to accumulate Tier Points until your membership year end date. So for example, if your membership year ends on 8 January, a flight taken on 8 January will count towards your old year. '
Old May 4, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
there shouldnt be shortage. they should have credited the original routing. shouldnt they? thats what every forum tells me. and the lady on the Cruz Team calling me back has never heard about ORV.

I dont wanna extend to collect!. i asked to extend so I have a day to use the Jokers. I will loose the jokers for this year if they dont credit my TPs within the year. right?

and .. I cant use the CCR.. just because they screw up the ORC request from 5 weeks ago asking me to wait for 4 weeks ... and because qatar is slow with crediting.. is that right?

maybe again.. i was expecting too much.. but i thought with over 5000 TPs.. someone would hear me and say.. oh. sure.. you did all the qualification on time and can use the CCR.. thats all im asking..
I thought at that level sevice is more personal than just a standard.. oh sorry sir. you are not qualified by the guidelines..

Sorry David I just feel left.. :-)
Old May 4, 2018, 5:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Now the situation is, that my BA ticket on March 21st LHR PHL ATL on AA was rerouted to LHR ATL without a notice of the OTA prior to departure. instead they even sent the original routing as a reminder 2 days prior. This new routing leaves me 40 TPs shorter at 4980. I called BAEC and asked for ORC on the 30th of March.
I am sure that's what your TA is telling you in terms of no notice! Rerouting several days and weeks before a trip is not really an ORC case. ORC is really for IRROPS type re-routings where you are rerouted on the day due to things like cancellations.

As with all retro credits of flights they would credit as at the original date of the flight. Unless you actually have 5000 TPs credited you would not be able to use the CCR and GGL benefits - there is no principle of use of benefits based on legitimate expectation of the TPs.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
there shouldnt be shortage. they should have credited the original routing. shouldnt they? thats what every forum tells me. and the lady on the Cruz Team calling me back has never heard about ORV.

I dont wanna extend to collect!. i asked to extend so I have a day to use the Jokers. I will loose the jokers for this year if they dont credit my TPs within the year. right?

and .. I cant use the CCR.. just because they screw up the ORC request from 5 weeks ago asking me to wait for 4 weeks ... and because qatar is slow with crediting.. is that right?

maybe again.. i was expecting too much.. but i thought with over 5000 TPs.. someone would hear me and say.. oh. sure.. you did all the qualification on time and can use the CCR.. thats all im asking..
I thought at that level sevice is more personal than just a standard.. oh sorry sir. you are not qualified by the guidelines..

Sorry David I just feel left.. :-)
So I think I see the issue now and I do sympathise - you are not GGL currently but will qualify when all your flights from your full membership are credited. And unfortunately you were hoping to have qualified via all flights crediting and then being able to use 2 Jokers immediately and then a further 2 in your first full year from the 9th May, but as your status change will only occur in your first full year you will only have that years Jokers to use. I understand now.

I think one issue here is that the flights you need to credit are from other airlines, and the validation of that for BAEC is dependent on those other airlines. I am awaiting ORC from AA myself currently in order to requalify however my membership year end is later in the year so I am in no rush.

I think to be honest it's now too close to the year end for a different outcome here. Even if you got another 160 TP's on the 6th the status will take a day/couple of days to change and you may be arguing again with BAEC, potentially on the last day of your membership year.

Do you really have a use for those 2 additional Jokers? I know it's annoying but I can't see the benefit being worth the hassle and stress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.