Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Looking at a flight in CW (LUX-PVG from the mileage runs forum).
There's an UUA option on the outbound that lets me use the CCR etc.

The return has options of:
[1] A 1am onwards departure and no real lounges to benefit from. Would be connecting to the T3 flight afterwards so no CCR there either and my status would let me use the T3 lounges anyway.
[2] Routing via HKG on CX and then BA back to LHR.

I assume the second option involving CX metal prevents UUA by means of Avios or a GUF1 or 2? There's no availability anyway unless a Joker could be used.

Could easily use 25k Avios on the outbound although I've got a GUF2 that expires on the 3rd Nov (unless I can extend its life and use it more wisely)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I'm in a bit of a quandary, which is typically not like me Hopefully I can glean some advice from the assembled. I've recently (slightly) changed responsibilities and my travel patterns will change from short frequent trips, to frequent longer (but typically further) trips - if that makes sense!

Current run rate for the first 3 months since membership reset is a touch over 800 TPs per month. On the face of it, a relatively busy year so far with little sign of it letting up at least until Christmas, then kicking off again from late-January. No problems you would think - I'll easily re-qualify for GGL, CCR etc and some of the extra GUFs/Avios bonus thresholds, and also associated earning over on *A (I am currently M&M SEN, but could hit M&M Hon Circle in Q4). I estimate I'll probably end up on a 8000 TP year (not as much as some on here, granted). However, here are my concerns:
  • The (normal) GUFs earned are sometimes not always used, and some expire, and others I try to give away where possible
  • The additional bonus GUFs are added to the pile (see above - not used), and the 50k Avios bumps are just added to the pot
  • Jokers (for me) are little benefit - I think I've only used one joker that I can remember and that was on a DBV-LGW in ET, that I ended up cancelling anyway!
  • I could also start to credit again to my AA account, which has some miles sitting there, but the SWUs/stickers are largely useless since I tend to be in US Domestic F anyway as my internals are booked typically on the same ticket as TATLs in J - it would give more redemption flexibility in future years I guess
  • The majority of my OW bookings are made via Corporate TA, but seldom on 125 ticket stock (restricting upgrade opportunities)
  • GFL is close, so not concerned here, but GGLFL feels like a long, long way off!

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to approach this (very much first world) problem? Any other OW FF programmes that would be worthwhile looking into? Ultimately, I want to make sure I'm not missing something in terms of benefits which are not so obvious. Any ideas most welcome. What would you do?
In my own fantasy land, BA and OneWorld in general would award tier points on award tickets. The main reasoning I make is that it still costs points plus fees/taxes for award tickets, the more you fly, the less useful the award ticket portion of status benefits become as you don't have time to actually use your points for award travel. While this is unlikely to ever change, I think it would make the benefits of status far more useful. The arguments against this approach are obvious, but I think such a change would be highly beneficial to people flying as much as you are.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by dylanks
In my own fantasy land, BA and OneWorld in general would award tier points on award tickets. The main reasoning I make is that it still costs points plus fees/taxes for award tickets, the more you fly, the less useful the award ticket portion of status benefits become as you don't have time to actually use your points for award travel. While this is unlikely to ever change, I think it would make the benefits of status far more useful. The arguments against this approach are obvious, but I think such a change would be highly beneficial to people flying as much as you are.
While, unquestionably, hotel programs are a different ballpark entirely, Starwood started doing this a few years back and most have followed suit. Should the cost of points redemptions go up, it seems to me an entirely sensible thing to do for people who actually do have status. If you play the "pile miles with cards, use on flights" games, probably less so. But you could tailor it quite easily.

IMO, in terms of accruing in other programs, a lot depends on where you fly predominantly and what you're looking for. Getting EXP (or even CK in ross's case) maybe serves little purpose from a SWU and upgrade standpoint, but would make the service one receives in the US that bit better to make it worth it. Depends on where one predominantly flies, but if I did 800 TPs/month and a lot of it to the US, I'd grab EXP at a minimum just for the customer service. Depending on how expensive the fares are and how much this all is on AA metal, CK/CCR combo may be feasible. It's a bit of a gamble as CK is by invitation, but you're not in DFW where there are hordes and you would be a customer they would be keen to retain and manage, I am sure. And, FWIW, a SWU from J-->F on LHR-JFK on AA is always handy.

I don't think Marco Polo's up to much, TBH, and you may not get much value out of QF status unless you spend a lot of time out there. I'd probably take a look at SQ before I would pick any OW program. But probably not an option.

Pooling has its uses, but there are things you can do with AA status and points which simply aren't available to BA flyers, or not so smoothly (like calls into CS). For the nine months I was both CCR and EXP my flying patterns were the easiest and most flexible I have had. I am in the US a bit less now (and nowhere near enough to double up), but I do miss EXP from time to time.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just received my GGL pack and CCR card. However the expiry date of the CCR card is set 12 months from now rather than aligning with the card (March 2020), which was a surprise. I was sent the card in response to a query about going into the CCR last week, and wonder if something was set up wrong?

Any comments before I call them to ask?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Just received my GGL pack and CCR card. However the expiry date of the CCR card is set 12 months from now rather than aligning with the card (March 2020), which was a surprise. I was sent the card in response to a query about going into the CCR last week, and wonder if something was set up wrong?

My CCR card aligns with my GGL card. Looks your card expiry date is wrong.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:01 am

Just been in touch with the GGL line who are querying with the CCR team as they don't know. Almost all the reports I have are that the membership aligns HOWEVER one other GGL has what looks like a short period (by a month), and there is an email from CS to someone else saying validity is 12 months from earning the card, so room for a little bit of doubt.

I'll post up whatever response I get. It would be a little vexing to lose 5 months worth of validity on a rules change.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thought I would share my recent experience of trying to "correct" an alleged bug in BA's systems where nomination for a partner card between end of Tier Point Collection Year and Membership Year End results in 12 months of Silver (or Gold) rather than 2 years.

Reputedly (in this forum), a simple call to the GGL would sort this out ... in reality nothing could be further from the truth

Last year, I nominated a member of my HHA for a Silver card. I did this on the first day of their new membership year (09/09) while they still had a Bronze card with expiry of 31/10. This was because they were due to fly during October and I wanted them to have lounge access etc. It all worked fine, card arrived in time and as expected had an expiry date of 31/10/18. Hence, taking note of the experiences related on here, I made a note for a year later (today) to call the GGL line and get the expiry extended a further 12 months.

Unfortunately, despite what might have happened in the past, this does not work (or perhaps no longer works).

A long telephone call followed my an exchange of emails referencing the GGL Ts&Cs (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits) resulted in a final position from BA as follows:

"... I do agree that in the Terms and Conditions that section 8.3 state that 'For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last until the Nominee’s Membership Year End date and for the 12 month period thereafter.' However, in the terms and conditions Definitions section, the term 'Membership Year End' actually refers to and means the expiry date on the membership card.

As you nominated XXX after the 'Tier Point Collection Year' ended but not before the defined 'Membership Year End' XXX actually had the card for the agreed length of time. From 09th September 17 until 30th September 2017 (from nomination to year end) and then the subsequent membership year, bringing the expiry of the card to September 2018. The only way that XXX would have gotten the status until 2019 would be if you nominated him after 30th September.

I understand that there are online forums where this is thought to be a bug in the BA system but I can assure you this is not the case and the system will always nominate the member for the correct period of time.
"

And when you go back and read through the entire Ts&Cs the above statement is indeed true

So people should beware of relying upon anecdote, however well meant, as the published Ts&Cs are the canonical source !

Not a massive deal in this particular case as the person in question currently has zero Oneworld bookings but though people would like to know.

Takeaway: Nominate the day after their current membership card expires to get the longest time at Silver (or Gold)

Moral of the story: RTFM
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Just been in touch with the GGL line who are querying with the CCR team as they don't know. Almost all the reports I have are that the membership aligns HOWEVER one other GGL has what looks like a short period (by a month), and there is an email from CS to someone else saying validity is 12 months from earning the card, so room for a little bit of doubt.

I'll post up whatever response I get. It would be a little vexing to lose 5 months worth of validity on a rules change.
Just as a datum point, I checked my wallet and the CCR card expires three months after the GGL - but possibly that's because two years running (at least) there has been a delay in sending the CCR card out. Both times I had to chase and this year after being asked for one card they sent out two (with the same date). I guess this problem will self-correct when the BAEC finally get around to having one card for both GGL and CCR. This year?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Fitch
Thought I would share my recent experience of trying to "correct" an alleged bug in BA's systems where nomination for a partner card between end of Tier Point Collection Year and Membership Year End results in 12 months of Silver (or Gold) rather than 2 years.

Reputedly (in this forum), a simple call to the GGL would sort this out ... in reality nothing could be further from the truth

Last year, I nominated a member of my HHA for a Silver card. I did this on the first day of their new membership year (09/09) while they still had a Bronze card with expiry of 31/10. This was because they were due to fly during October and I wanted them to have lounge access etc. It all worked fine, card arrived in time and as expected had an expiry date of 31/10/18. Hence, taking note of the experiences related on here, I made a note for a year later (today) to call the GGL line and get the expiry extended a further 12 months.

Unfortunately, despite what might have happened in the past, this does not work (or perhaps no longer works).

A long telephone call followed my an exchange of emails referencing the GGL Ts&Cs (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits) resulted in a final position from BA as follows:

"... I do agree that in the Terms and Conditions that section 8.3 state that 'For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last until the Nominee’s Membership Year End date and for the 12 month period thereafter.' However, in the terms and conditions Definitions section, the term 'Membership Year End' actually refers to and means the expiry date on the membership card.

As you nominated XXX after the 'Tier Point Collection Year' ended but not before the defined 'Membership Year End' XXX actually had the card for the agreed length of time. From 09th September 17 until 30th September 2017 (from nomination to year end) and then the subsequent membership year, bringing the expiry of the card to September 2018. The only way that XXX would have gotten the status until 2019 would be if you nominated him after 30th September.

I understand that there are online forums where this is thought to be a bug in the BA system but I can assure you this is not the case and the system will always nominate the member for the correct period of time.
"

And when you go back and read through the entire Ts&Cs the above statement is indeed true

So people should beware of relying upon anecdote, however well meant, as the published Ts&Cs are the canonical source !

Not a massive deal in this particular case as the person in question currently has zero Oneworld bookings but though people would like to know.

Takeaway: Nominate the day after their current membership card expires to get the longest time at Silver (or Gold)

Moral of the story: RTFM
Yes I have always nominated the day after the card expires - in fact the nomination system doesn't allow it to be done before in my experience - so that means that the nominee drops a level for a few days. I'm pleased I hadn't read anything different here or I would have tried it - and probably lost out as a result!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:54 pm

Just to close this off, they emailed today saying they would be sending a correctly dated card out, so looks like it was a glitch.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
I have a question that probably has a simple answer, but as I near GGL for the first time thought it'd be worth asking anyway.

Assume I have a WTP booking made by a UK TA and there's no Club Avios availability.
Would I theoretically be able to use a joker to unlock said availability and upgrade with Avios (assuming fare bucket required was available of course)?

Secondly (if answer above is a yes), could I do this for friends/family who are flying even if I'm not on the same flight/flying at all?
​​​​​
Only asking as it looks like I'll be close to the 6000TP mark potentially and trying to figure if it's worth stretching to that additional goal.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Assume I have a WTP booking made by a UK TA and there's no Club Avios availability.
Would I theoretically be able to use a joker to unlock said availability and upgrade with Avios (assuming fare bucket required was available of course)?
If ticket is issued on BA stock then yes you could, using Avios + 1 of your yearly Jokers. If you did go via a UK TA though do you have a GUF2 (2500 TPs) or 2xGUF1's (3500 TP's) you could use instead? These use revenue buckets rather than redemption availability so would save you Avios + Joker. Worth considering as an alternative. How many people on the booking?

When you say "assuming fare bucket required was available" do you mean a specific WTP revenue bucket? I understand any WTP ticket can be upgraded using Avios within reason. Check the guide here on spending Avios for details.

Secondly (if answer above is a yes), could I do this for friends/family who are flying even if I'm not on the same flight/flying at all?
Yes you can, however do you have a Household account? If so this limits who you can apply Avios against. If you used a GUF then it can be applied against anyone of your choosing irrespective of HHA.
​​​​​
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
If ticket is issued on BA stock then yes you could, using Avios + 1 of your yearly Jokers. If you did go via a UK TA though do you have a GUF2 (2500 TPs) or 2xGUF1's (3500 TP's) you could use instead? These use revenue buckets rather than redemption availability so would save you Avios + Joker. Worth considering as an alternative. How many people on the booking?

When you say "assuming fare bucket required was available" do you mean a specific WTP revenue bucket? I understand any WTP ticket can be upgraded using Avios within reason. Check the guide here on spending Avios for details.

Yes you can, however do you have a Household account? If so this limits who you can apply Avios against. If you used a GUF then it can be applied against anyone of your choosing irrespective of HHA.
​​​​​
Thanks for the reply.
Re: the initial query I mean the J fare bucket. As you say, a GUF could be used - but not if there's only J availability rather than I, etc.
I do have GUFs (1x2 and 2x1) but have earmarked them for use for other trips along with 241 vouchers for best redemption).
A lot of my travel is reasonably last minute (within three or four weeks) thus some of the jokers are likely to have some value (I anticipate having six through 2019-2020) for such trips (typically clients will pay for WTP, thus the CW upgrade is golden)
Re: household account. No, not at present. I have 4 of the 5 slots filled on my friends list though, so assume it's only these people for whom I could select joker-acquired seats?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
To use a joker in CW/CE you need D class to be open - and that no one else has already used a joker in that cabin on that flight.

If your TA booking contains non BA flights I don’t think it will be possible to GUF/UuA.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Re: household account. No, not at present. I have 4 of the 5 slots filled on my friends list though, so assume it's only these people for whom I could select joker-acquired seats?
As you dont have a HHA then you may book for anyone. Don’t have to be in F&F list.
mmxbreaks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.