Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Traveller Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

The thread is to share experiences, photos, reviews and questions of the temporary lounge in London Gatwick (LGW) North Terminal.

This thread has been created as a partner thread to this discussion, which is a more suitable place to discuss the broader issues relating to the move to the South terminal:
BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016

Update 14 April 2016
25 January 2017 is the official opening date of the new lounge in LGW.

"The new lounge will have more space with better facilities and the location will offer impressive views across the runway. The new lounge will also have full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First customers and Gold Executive Club members."

Thanks to Happytohelp for this intel
Print Wikipost

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Interesting one yesterday......

My sister tried to book the No1 lounge for our upcoming holiday departing on 3/3 yesterday - and got the "not taking any more bookings as the lounge is full" message.

A Thursday morning 6 weeks out and the place is already full?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by CarolynUK

My sister tried to book the No1 lounge for our upcoming holiday departing on 3/3 yesterday - and got the "not taking any more bookings as the lounge is full" message.

Interesting. And that isn't school holidays either. Perhaps they have blocked it out over a long period or they have information that leads them to believe they will be busy then.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by CarolynUK

This makes me think my £15 including two glasses of Champagne was money well spent to guarantee our space in the lounge when travelling Club World in a couple of months!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Interesting. And that isn't school holidays either. Perhaps they have blocked it out over a long period or they have information that leads them to believe they will be busy then.
BA should have just bought out all space in the lounge and turned it into a BA lounge... 90% of people there will be BA sponsored I am sure (having been there using PP previously when it was pretty dead, and yesterday being there sponsored by BA).

At least then they could open up the champagne to OWE members affected by this degradation of lounge access.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
This makes me think my £15 including two glasses of Champagne was money well spent to guarantee our space in the lounge when travelling Club World in a couple of months!
A cunning ploy ^

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
BA should have just bought out all space in the lounge and turned it into a BA lounge... 90% of people there will be BA sponsored I am sure (having been there using PP previously when it was pretty dead, and yesterday being there sponsored by BA).

At least then they could open up the champagne to OWE members affected by this degradation of lounge access.
I wonder if their contracts with Priority Pass and the like would get in the way of this?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
What's the clubrooms?
Originally Posted by UKTony
MyLounge?
No, not MyLounge.

It's at the South Terminal and is what you generally get directed to when flying IB Express to MAD.

https://no1lounges.com/service/airpo...south-terminal

The food is unlimited (from a cost perspective) - you can order off the menu as many times as you like. At least, that was the case when I was there 3 months ago.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Arrived at LGW about an hour ago for the delayed BA2708 to Barcelona, after a breeze through FastTrack (not the main one which was shuttered-off, but the side land at Central Search) I find myself bumped down to MyLounge upon getting to the Lounge desk. Wonderful.

Apparently there are capacity issues at No1 Lounge with the delays, but passengers are still making there way in there. Have a distinct feeling the desk has instructions to send newly arriving BA passengers to MyLounge, keeping any space in No1 for PP and other non-BA folks.

Quite annoying as I'm on a Club Europe ticket, not in ET on my silver status. So I've paid afresh for my 'premium experience' but it amounts to a bowl of hot chill and a choice of one red wine.

Had looked forward to spending the delay in No1 Lounge (was in there last Mon before my flight to EDI) but instead I'm stuck in what amounts to a someone's idea of a trendy cafe.

If this is what it is like in Jan with a few delays then I shudder to think what will it be like when things get busier.

I do hope BA look at what they are letting their offering become with this new lounge arrangement.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by Jim72

I do hope BA look at what they are letting their offering become with this new lounge arrangement.
CE LGW-FCO return this weekend so yes the BA premier offering out of Gatwick is bad right now. Did bag 1D/1F both ways
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Jim72
Arrived at LGW about an hour ago for the delayed BA2708 to Barcelona, after a breeze through FastTrack (not the main one which was shuttered-off, but the side land at Central Search) I find myself bumped down to MyLounge upon getting to the Lounge desk. Wonderful.

Apparently there are capacity issues at No1 Lounge with the delays, but passengers are still making there way in there. Have a distinct feeling the desk has instructions to send newly arriving BA passengers to MyLounge, keeping any space in No1 for PP and other non-BA folks.

Quite annoying as I'm on a Club Europe ticket, not in ET on my silver status. So I've paid afresh for my 'premium experience' but it amounts to a bowl of hot chill and a choice of one red wine.

Had looked forward to spending the delay in No1 Lounge (was in there last Mon before my flight to EDI) but instead I'm stuck in what amounts to a someone's idea of a trendy cafe.

If this is what it is like in Jan with a few delays then I shudder to think what will it be like when things get busier.

At least it is self-pour so you can drown your sorrows...
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
At least it is self-pour so you can drown your sorrows...
Indeed... though thankfully after asking for second time whether there was space yet in No1 Lounge I managed to get 'de-downgraded' from MyLounge to No1.

Am ensconced in Library now with decent food, a decent Rioja and a power-point for my laptop.

Overall impression of No1 Lounge is that it's not bad here. My visit last Mon was very hurried, was on the 0650hrs BA2936 so not much time for anything then but a bit of breakfast.

The Library is a hidden gem as the main lounge is mobbed.

I do feel sorry for the bar staff as they are rushed-off their feet, an extra body there wouldn't go amiss.

No1 Lounge 6/10
MyLounge 2/10
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
agree on the Bar staff aspect ... its a bit 'lesser' having to stand and wait for ages to get a simple glass of something, while watching the staffer making up a tray of "2 G&T, a Whisky and Soda, a Vodka and Lemonade [no ice] and an Orange Juice". Not life-changing, but just a sub-prime experience.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Visited here on Friday morning (15th) at about 06:15. At check-in I was told about the temporary lounge.

There was a small queue at the lounge front desk which was processed fairly quickly. When I presented myself and announced I had a guest with me, one of the assistants's said to the other: "oh he's Blue". "That's fine" the other one replied to her. Are some of these BA 'meters/greeters' temporary or new?

We were directed through to the No1 Lounge, which I can only describe as 'mobbed'. Very hard to find a seat (we took the high stools by the window) and lots of pax like us finding their way around this new experience. I ordered some hot food from the bar. When I asked if the fish finger sandwich came on brown bread this as greeted with a curt: "No". People were queuing to be served at the bar and all the stools were taken. I asked to purchase a glass of Prosecco which was duly served but I was told I couldn't pay at the bar as his card reader wasn't working, and would have to walk back to reception to pay for it. Hmmmmm. I've been in the Galleries lounge when it's busy, but it was much bigger so I don't think you notice.

On the positive side the coffee tasted better than in the BA lounge to me (personal taste) and the hot food came quickly. The staff were generally very efficient and the croissants were tasty. It just wasn't quite a quiet club room, but hey, it's new, it's temporary ….

I'll be back on a Friday morning (again) in March and see if it's the same bun fight.

Last edited by Dicksbits; Jan 17, 2016 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I agree the toilet provision is poor (certainly for the men).
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I agree the toilet provision is poor (certainly for the men).
What is this modern fixation with cubicles for male toilets? Most of the time a bloke needs a minute or two to empty his blacder at a urinal ... does it now need a cubicle to do all the male grooming stuff as well, thus occupying aboot 3-4 times the building space?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by T8191
What is this modern fixation with cubicles for male toilets? Most of the time a bloke needs a minute or two to empty his blacder at a urinal ... does it now need a cubicle to do all the male grooming stuff as well, thus occupying aboot 3-4 times the building space?
I am with you. Bring back urinals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.