Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Traveller Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

The thread is to share experiences, photos, reviews and questions of the temporary lounge in London Gatwick (LGW) North Terminal.

This thread has been created as a partner thread to this discussion, which is a more suitable place to discuss the broader issues relating to the move to the South terminal:
BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016

Update 14 April 2016
25 January 2017 is the official opening date of the new lounge in LGW.

"The new lounge will have more space with better facilities and the location will offer impressive views across the runway. The new lounge will also have full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First customers and Gold Executive Club members."

Thanks to Happytohelp for this intel
Print Wikipost

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Barman acted like he was doing you a favour last Friday morning. Very curt.
Huh? Friday? This was Sunday. What was curt?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bbjoylove
I have been there the past couple of Thursday evenings 17:45 - to 18:40 and it has been packed out, to the point of standing room only.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the British Airways forum bbjoylove, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm surprised people were unwilling to move bags, in my experience they rather sheepishly move them when challenged! I hope you get a sensible reply from any complaint that you make. Welcome on board.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Visited the lounge on Sunday 10th , arrived from EDI and heading to VCE. Got in about 10am, no problem with entry but the place was heaving and very noisy took a while to find two seats in the library just where you go through to the bar. There was a gale blowing through the passage and a constant flow of people plus all the noise from the main part of the lounge. Over an hour before we managed to move into a quiter part of the library. Various single persons stretched out on setees not helping things. Tried some of the food not to my taste and the drinks were being short measured once you could order one. Only one person working the bar doing drinks and taking food orders, as I left the bar there was no free space around it with people trying to place orders.
Back on Friday in the evening place was quiter new large setees in the library didn't bother with food or drink same menu. Mrs B and I will not hurry to pass through Gatwick again
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
We decided not to bother with the lounge this morning after reading the reports of slow food service and crowding here, as my husband wanted a bite to eat and we didn't have much time. So he went off to Pret and I went off to do a bit of toiletry shopping. I suspect it worked out for the best.

It took us about 15 minutes to get through Premium Gatwick which felt rather non-premium, although the staff were all nice (both at BA and security) as usual.

In their defence apparently they were dealing with backlogs from when they had to evacuate the terminal due to a smoke alarm (apparently having been set off by someone smoking), so I won't be giving them black marks for slow security (besides I do think that it's mostly due to slow passengers and not slow staff, although having just one lane open is not so good...).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 18, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It took us about 15 minutes to get through Premium Gatwick which felt rather non-premium, although the staff were all nice (both at BA and security) as usual.
What I do is to ask the GAL scan agents how many people are queuing in Premium. If it's six or more you best go to main security. You can also get de-scanned if you think it's too slow, and then go to main security, the staff are well used to that.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Using non-Premium security at LGW(N) is a revelation.

I am not a frequent LGW user - maybe 6-8 times a year. Over the last year or two I have noticed the premium security channel getting busier and busier. This year when I first went a few weeks ago I noticed the line was back to where the bp is scanned - yes I know they have moved the scanner so it is further up but I would have still taken 10 minutes at least to get through. I turned around and tried the normal security. Went to a line with absolutely no one in front of me - actually joking with the agent that I went over to him as I thought he looked like he needed a customer!

I was at LGW on Saturday morning again and this time headed straight to normal security. Again managed easily to find a lane with one person in front - and most of the lanes had no more that 3-4 people waiting. Again through in less than 3 minutes.

I think going forward I am just going to ignore the Premium security channel at LGW - it really is becoming a waste of time.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What I do is to ask the GAL scan agents how many people are queuing in Premium. If it's six or more you best go to main security. You can also get de-scanned if you think it's too slow, and then go to main security, the staff are well used to that.
Good tip, thanks! I'll try that tactic next time.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You should have said "Fair enough, I'll put them on the floor for you then".
After my husband's less than subtle or quiet comment that he hoped she hadn't paid of lot of money for those fakes I thought I didn't need to add anything more
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
I will be using the lounge early tomorrow morning - first time flying out of Gatwick in ages - here's hoping it won't be as mobbed as has been suggested!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold GL, JJC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and the British Airways forum bbjoylove, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm surprised people were unwilling to move bags, in my experience they rather sheepishly move them when challenged! I hope you get a sensible reply from any complaint that you make. Welcome on board.
Thank you, have not had the bag problem yet, last time just sat down on a chair in the library with 'Reserved' on the table. Not sure who it was reserved for! Perhaps that is why I did not get my fishfinger sandwich, have now read that you can't eat in there.

Plus can't wait until half term when my 8 year old daughter is accompanying me, read that you have to be over 12 in the library. Wonder if we will be thrown out!

On another note, finally after 3 months the BA Lounge in Jersey has reopened. Very smart, but the lighting at 06:30 in the morning is a tad too bright! Lots of hot plates have been installed, but as of yet they are not warming anything!
Attached Images  
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by bbjoylove
Thank you, have not had the bag problem yet, last time just sat down on a chair in the library with 'Reserved' on the table. Not sure who it was reserved for! Perhaps that is why I did not get my fishfinger sandwich, have now read that you can't eat in there.
People were eating and on the phone in the library during my visit.

Staff did not say anything.

The only sign is by the entrance and in reality people will not read that.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've not got a clue what they are going to do about this situation in summer. LGW Terraces was packed to the rafters every single time I used it last year with pretty much every seat taken except for in the evenings. Not been to this temporary lounge yet- trying to get all my travel through LHR whenever possible!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
The only sign is by the entrance and in reality people will not read that.
In reality, people will only read and obey signs that suit them. Yet they will also expect compensation, if anyone does anything that adversely affects them.

Welcome to the self self world.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:58 pm

Reading this, I'm not looking forward to my Friday morning visit pre Kingston flight !
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by tezzer
Reading this, I'm not looking forward to my Friday morning visit pre Kingston flight !
I'm having the same thought [to KIN on 9 Mar, after an o/n at the Hampton]. Too many Leisure pax

I await your comments with interest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.