Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Traveller Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

The thread is to share experiences, photos, reviews and questions of the temporary lounge in London Gatwick (LGW) North Terminal.

This thread has been created as a partner thread to this discussion, which is a more suitable place to discuss the broader issues relating to the move to the South terminal:
BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016

Update 14 April 2016
25 January 2017 is the official opening date of the new lounge in LGW.

"The new lounge will have more space with better facilities and the location will offer impressive views across the runway. The new lounge will also have full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First customers and Gold Executive Club members."

Thanks to Happytohelp for this intel
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FJB2016
Hi all. First post on here.
Just wondering if I can gain access to N01 Lounge travelling Business on Iberia Express booked via BA ?
Thanks for your time
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum FJB2016, it's good to see you here and I hope that you will continue to contribute to this resource.

Yes, you do have No. 1 lounge access, by dint of being IB Express Business rather than any BA connection. However this is the No. 1 lounge in South, which is not a patch on the one featured here in North. It's very small and crowded with more limited food and drink offering. It has a good view of the apron, and the upstair section isn't too bad I guess.

I should have asked when you are travelling, since this poor facility is being moved downstairs to make way for the BA lounge. I don't know the precise dates but they have started the BA lounge work next door and I would guess in a few months they will need the No. 1 lounge area to continue their work.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I was in the No. 1 lounge for the 2nd time last week and had a couple additional observations. Most of my trips are morning departures and I'm in the lounge from about 7:30 - 8:15. The library area is a nice place to sit and has not been very crowded either time while the tables and main areas can be quite packed.

The food/buffet layout isn't very good and causes traffic jams. There are 3 coffee machines and there always seemed to be a queue with people standing in the main walkway area. The coffee and tea mugs are to the left of the machines and it's difficult to get in to get a bowl of porridge and it would be nicer if the food was spread over a larger area and not right on the main pathway/corridor through the lounge. There is a coffee machine in the library area that nobody seems to use and was perfect for getting a refill. You can eat food in the library area - maybe people just aren't aware of that.

The real tragedy is the shortage of toilets. There are 3 gents toilets - each one is a nice individual room and are much nicer than what was available in the BA lounge toilets but I would hate to be there when the lounge is actually crowded. Don't wait to use the toilet on the way out of the lounge to your flight.

Another minor gripe is the check in desk process could be more efficient. When I would go to the BA lounge (mobile boarding pass, no checked bags) they would sometimes ask to see my passport and visa as I checked in to lounge. Now the first person can only check me in and give me a entry card to lounge, but I have to go to 2nd desk to get passport verified. Why can't they use both desks for check in to shorten the queues since the 2nd desk rarely has anyone there while the first desk is always backed up. They basically have 2 people checking in vs. 4 - 5 combined between the GC and GF lounges.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Here now - it's busy but not ridiculous.

There's Meantime Pale on tap, which is a significant improvement on the beer options at every other lounge BA uses in London.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum FJB2016, it's good to see you here and I hope that you will continue to contribute to this resource.

Yes, you do have No. 1 lounge access, by dint of being IB Express Business rather than any BA connection. However this is the No. 1 lounge in South, which is not a patch on the one featured here in North. It's very small and crowded with more limited food and drink offering. It has a good view of the apron, and the upstair section isn't too bad I guess.

I should have asked when you are travelling, since this poor facility is being moved downstairs to make way for the BA lounge. I don't know the precise dates but they have started the BA lounge work next door and I would guess in a few months they will need the No. 1 lounge area to continue their work.
Thanks for the reply.Sorry I got the wrong thread then as will be in the South terminal.
Flying in May so will see what's what in May.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
So the check in for No.1 lounge procedure is certainly not streamlined. It's Saturday morning in January and feels busy already. A big group of lads have taken over the main bar area, the only barman and the beer tap! It's only 6am!!

Here's the queue for the pastries (photo attached)...

Overall it's not ideal but it's better than no lounge. I still agree with the passengers who have purchased CE CW or F tickets. The overall experience is poor especially if they travel during peak times. As I sense stag, hen, golf, ladies groups galore once we get into summer time. But that will have to be managed accordingly we hope! One bar person will certainly not suffice! Ordering food through the same bar person seems a bit odd when they are already preoccupied with drinks service. I'm sure this will be managed too!

The BA rep at the front desk told me that Virgin have been kicked out of their lounge in South too (someone from the VS flying club confirm this?). She informed me that they don't even have a lounge now!! I feel slightly better on that note!
Attached Images  
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by henners
Here now - it's busy but not ridiculous.

There's Meantime Pale on tap, which is a significant improvement on the beer options at every other lounge BA uses in London.
Are they still served in those ridiculous "less than half pint" glasses? Two sips and gone....

Give us a pint please !
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
The BA rep at the front desk told me that Virgin have been kicked out of their lounge in South too (someone from the VS flying club confirm this?). She informed me that they don't even have a lounge now!! I feel slightly better on that note!
They may be getting confused. VS doesn't have any lounge at MAN at the moment, it's being refurbished.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They may be getting confused. VS doesn't have any lounge at MAN at the moment, it's being refurbished.
The Virgin V Room has closed this week in the South Terminal, which was the paid entry lounge for Virgin Holidays customers. The Virgin clubhouse remains open until the actual move.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by XCstud
Another minor gripe is the check in desk process could be more efficient. When I would go to the BA lounge (mobile boarding pass, no checked bags) they would sometimes ask to see my passport and visa as I checked in to lounge. Now the first person can only check me in and give me a entry card to lounge, but I have to go to 2nd desk to get passport verified. Why can't they use both desks for check in to shorten the queues since the 2nd desk rarely has anyone there while the first desk is always backed up. They basically have 2 people checking in vs. 4 - 5 combined between the GC and GF lounges.
You need a passport to get in the lounge? What if you're flying domestic?

Palmer
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:28 am
LE2

Programs: BA Silver

I'm in the No.1 Lounge now. Saturday 11.00 am. There are very few seats. I'm seeing the same people wandering around and around looking for a place to sit.

There's a queue at the bar to order hot food. Only one bartender taking orders.

Staff appear to be working hard to serve customers and keeping the tables clean.

Interestingly, I overhead the BA Customer Service speaking with an unhappy passenger. She said that "they are going to be opening up a lounge downstairs to take pressure of the current situation".

Any announcement on this new arrangement?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

Is there a BA agent with access to full BA systems in the lounge?

I'm there later this week and fear I might need help with a complex itin and need someone with system access.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
So the check in for No.1 lounge procedure is certainly not streamlined. It's Saturday morning in January and feels busy already. A big group of lads have taken over the main bar area, the only barman and the beer tap! It's only 6am!!

Here's the queue for the pastries (photo attached)...

Overall it's not ideal but it's better than no lounge. I still agree with the passengers who have purchased CE CW or F tickets. The overall experience is poor especially if they travel during peak times. As I sense stag, hen, golf, ladies groups galore once we get into summer time. But that will have to be managed accordingly we hope! One bar person will certainly not suffice! Ordering food through the same bar person seems a bit odd when they are already preoccupied with drinks service. I'm sure this will be managed too!
I was also there this morning around 5.20 to 6.15. Found it very busy, the food our average, the bar guy extremely nice but busy and the place just had a real busy vibe to it. Would be crazy during the week early in the morning.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by chris1979

I'm there later this week and fear I might need help with a complex itin and need someone with system access.

Not in the lounge, but outside there is a BA desk staffed by several BA staffers where you show your BP and get a lounge entry pass. They have computers so assume they can do anything theat could be done in the lounges upstairs.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC

Can't you get it sorted before going to the lounge ? It sounds busier enough without the staff having to deal with unnecessary extra complex issues.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by LE2

There's a queue at the bar to order hot food. Only one bartender taking orders.

Staff appear to be working hard to serve customers and keeping the tables clean.

Interestingly, I overhead the BA Customer Service speaking with an unhappy passenger. She said that "they are going to be opening up a lounge downstairs to take pressure of the current situation".

Any announcement on this new arrangement?
When I was in there were 2 bartenders at 8:00 am and I placed my food order from one of the servers, not the bartender. I just flagged a server down near one of the computers and they input my order.

A temp F lounge upstairs would be fantastic, but I'd be pretty surprised if an additional lounge, let alone a F lounge, was in the works.

There is a BA guest services desk outside the lounge and they should be able to do any of the same stuff the agents at the BA lounges could do. Once I was in the lounge, it's all No 1 staff and I don't recall seeing any BA staff inside the lounge.

Originally Posted by Palmer
You need a passport to get in the lounge? What if you're flying domestic?

Palmer
Sorry my previous post was unclear. You don't need a passport, just a boarding card, but the system flagged me for a visa check since my destination requires a visa and I had checked in online. When I would visit the GC or GF, the agent checking me into the lounge would do the visa check and you had 4 or 5 agents between the 2 lounges. Now there are only 2 people checking in (and I'm wondering if they are not BA staff) and if they need to do a visa check or anything else they send you to the next desk that has several people sitting around usually doing nothing (based on my sample size of 2 visits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.