Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
This 2015/16 thread is now closed. The 2017 thread is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1818553-premium-fare-deals-j-f-2017-edition.html

A collaborative collection and discussion of nice Avios-earning and TP-earning J & F premium fare deals. This thread is not for TP runs or published sales.
Some links to relevant threads can be found below.

Enjoy your Premium Experience.

FIRST CLASS - RTM/AMS/BRU to West Coast (SFO, SAN, YVR, SEA) starting at £2330... (just click on the book with American link to get the good price. )
Oneworld: Italy and various EU to New York in club €1250
CONSOLIDATED QR 2017 Travel Festival Fares
Current QR Sale Fares (yes, I did...)
QR/UL FRA-MLE via DOH+CMB: 1380€ RT across the board. 640 TP.
Switzerland/Italy/Sweden to East & West Coast USA in WTP (PE) €600/690 (3x Avios)
LHR-Asia/Oz for £1100/1500 on MH
Finnair J, ARN / GOT - BKK, 1150 GBP return (valid till Jan 9th)
TXL and Portugal to JNB for £1350/1450 on BA discussed from post 5021 onwards..

For promos to the US (often, but TP heavy routes in general) it is always a good idea to look at BA Tier Point Runs 2017 master thread. Current sales are often in the Wiki there.
Print Wikipost

Premium Fare deals (J and F)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'd also like to clarify that, while LHR-GOT is about £106 then, unless I was chasing avios and tier points specifically, or hoping to upgrade to business, the cost saving and extra comfort in WTP is not worth the early start and travel time of doing an ex-EU.

Or just do the LHR-ORD return and skip the MSP leg... while 400 miles is probably further than I would choose to do by road, you do save two plane tickets and a one-way drop-off fee if you're hiring a car, so it's worth considering.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just one more question... my mum is going for the F Malaysia fare ex LHR.. is there any reason not to book on Expedia.. fare coming out at £2750 rather than £2881 with Malaysia... worth saving £130.. also, how / when do we add her BAEC number? can this be done whether booking on MAlaysia or Expedia? is there any cooling off period at all Like with BA? (24h) (she's just waiting to hear back that the dates are OK) .. thanks all
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Just one more question... my mum is going for the F Malaysia fare ex LHR.. is there any reason not to book on Expedia.. fare coming out at £2750 rather than £2881 with Malaysia... worth saving £130.. also, how / when do we add her BAEC number? can this be done whether booking on MAlaysia or Expedia? is there any cooling off period at all Like with BA? (24h) (she's just waiting to hear back that the dates are OK) .. thanks all
Hi - no problem at all with Expedia - you add your BAEC during the booking process and it all gets added when your reservation is created.

The couple of times I have used Expedia their Customer Service has been excellent too.

Must try MH F myself sometime too!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:18 am

THanks our kid!!

Grr.. just noted that mums membership year ends the day before her return so she'll spread the points out over two years so she won't have a chance to get her silver... - probably unlikely anyway but irritating!!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Grr.. just noted that mums membership year ends the day before her return so she'll spread the points out over two years so she won't have a chance to get her silver... - probably unlikely anyway but irritating!!
Would the two-week extension help her? AIUI, that should work for earning Silver.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
THanks our kid!!

If you mean TP collection year then you can ask BA to extend it for two weeks to include the return.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Would the two-week extension help her? AIUI, that should work for earning Silver.
Not really, as it would be best to push all points forward into the next year.. then she would have 12 months to do the 4 qualifying legs.. but if they won't do it that way (my understanding they will extend the collection year so ALL points go into the previous year?) in which case that's a worse scenario as there is no chance at all...

As it stands, she'll lose the outbound points the day before she returns but the inbound (390?) will count to the new year... but she'll have to do some serious euro flights (ie paid for biz) to make up 210 points... rather than a couple of cheapies to spain or edi which is more doable!!

Ah well.. that's the way the cookie crumbles.. not worth delaying her trip for her (would be for me!) as she couldn't care less anyhow!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Not really, as it would be best to push all points forward into the next year.. then she would have 12 months to do the 4 qualifying legs.. but if they won't do it that way (my understanding they will extend the collection year so ALL points go into the previous year?) in which case that's a worse scenario as there is no chance at all...

As it stands, she'll lose the outbound points the day before she returns but the inbound (390?) will count to the new year... but she'll have to do some serious euro flights (ie paid for biz) to make up 210 points... rather than a couple of cheapies to spain or edi which is more doable!!
Do I understand correctly that if she asked for the extension, she would have more than 600 TPs in the current membership year but not enough "qualifying flights" for Silver? Whereas if you let things be, she'd have 390 TPs in the next membership year, so that she only needs 210 more TPs plus 4 qualifying flights to get Silver? If I've understood that correctly, then I can see the merit of not using the extension.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:43 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
she'll have to do some serious euro flights (ie paid for biz) to make up 210 points... rather than a couple of cheapies to spain or edi which is more doable!!
Or one return to TLL in J+Y and one super-cheapie return to anywhere.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Or one return to TLL in J+Y and one super-cheapie return to anywhere.
Damn, was going to suggest that!

TravelUp (never used them) are even cheaper than Expedia.

If flying MH, I'd recommend the later departure from Heathrow, followed by a night in the Hilton or Le Meridien at KL Sentral and then the day flight to break up the journey on the outbound, as this should take the edge off the jetlag, rather than going straight from an overnight, arriving in the early hours, and then onto a long day flight just as her body wants to go to sleep (and if she does, she'll be waking up in the early evening, Sydney time).

I appreciate that it may be a little less convenient but it's probably a lot more restful.

Just make sure that you book today as it's the last day of the MH sale.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by DocS
Indeed - having taken a closer look the BA flight arrives at 2255 in September with the best connection QR DOH departure at 0120 - not sure 2hs 20mins is long enough to risk... Has anyone tried this previously or had experience with QR when missing a first leg? The fares are pretty flexible so hoped they might look kindly-ish on a misconnect....
They might be flexible, but they're going to need availability in your fare class, or you might have to upgrade to another level. And you'll be in it for a visa and a night in Cairo plus the faff and anxiety. Probably best to plan for the overnight and see the pyramids!

I'm not knocking the Cairo tickets, just adding a reminder that it's best to suss out positioning details in the initial plan, rather than end up with only a few expensive and/or scary options.

I helped friend sort out overnight to Cairo from Amsterdam with Turkish, then back to Birmingham through Istanbul. £250. Plus 30 quid for easyJet to AMS (positioning for a positioning flight )

He says it worked like clockwork ....
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro

Just make sure that you book today as it's the last day of the MH sale.
Arghhhhhhh.... I checked the fare rules and it said book by 31st January 2017... she's just waiting confirmation the dates suit her hosts but looks like we've properly messed up...
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Arghhhhhhh.... I checked the fare rules and it said book by 31st January 2017... she's just waiting confirmation the dates suit her hosts but looks like we've properly messed up...
There was something on head for points this morning about a free upgrade to MH first when booking flexible J fares - that might work at a similar price.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:53 am

Thanks all.. we just booked it this morning.. managed to get the timing and dates mum wanted on MH's website. Didn't check Expedia this morning although was showing some fares at £2750 and travel up was £2703 or something but I thought they were less likely to stick if we really are winging it and also there are terrible reviews of travelup on line ( no formal ticketing at time of booking and then increasing prices 3 days later) .... plus they didn't show fare bucket and I wondered if could perhaps have booked into the dreaded I class?

Price on the earlier departure on return journey was at least £2k more this am and I called MH at 2am this morning and they were getting prices of £3,500 so I think we were lucky... even if something better comes along we've still done pretty well I think!

Final note - MH does NOT offer 24H cooling off. Anyone thinking about this fare might also be lucky and scoop it up this morning. Just to note also though, agent on phone said the 2k biz fare should be around til 31st January.... but I take no responsibility for this and haven't checked yet! (Who knows - might still see the £2800 F fare for the rest of the month! )

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in and gave advice - much appreciated as ever.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:08 am

More MH silliness...

Just spotted LHR-KUL-BKK for 400 TP (assuming the fare allows you to earn points) for £1,134, apparently today only, via eBookers.

Other places may be available but it looks like an eBookers flash sale as you can only get that rate by booking a stupidly cheap hostel on top. (Of course if you'd rather stay somewhere nicer then you can, you just pay the difference).

Last edited by Cymro; Jan 1, 2017 at 8:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.