Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Lounge Guide: British Airways Lounge, Singapore

This guide gives information, reviews and photographs of the newly refurbished British Airways Lounge in Singapore, which opened on Tuesday 25 August 2015.

The lounge features the new British Airways Lounge concept, also available at EDI, GLA, BHD, AMS, IAD, BOS, DXB and CPT.

Opening hours: 15:00 hrs to until the last BA flight, typically 23:00 hrs.
Location: Terminal 1 airside (transit lounge). After the passport control, take the escalators on the left, when facing the Central Plaza, to Level 3. Escalators are by the Tumi store.

Lounge Access: Standard BA and oneworld rules apply, it can be used if flying on another oneworld flight.

Concorde Bar Access: BA First passengers only plus one guest. You get a 4 digit access code card when entering the lounge to operate the door. Concorde Room Cardholders do not have access unless travelling in First on BA.

Facilities: Showers (6), washrooms, food, drink (including alcohol), variety of seating, big screen TV, plenty of power (UK and USB ports), high bench seating, business area, wifi, printer, 2 PCs. No smoking facilities.

Alternative lounges: The Qantas Singapore Lounge is located next door to the British Airways Lounge, and is open for similar hours for all oneworld travellers. If travelling JAL you can use the SATS dnata lounge (as of July 27 2017). The dnata lounge is used by Finnair, nearer gate D30. Malaysia Airlines operate their own Golden Lounge in Terminal 2 and will accept other oneworld travellers, and dnata provide a lounge for Qatar Airways and Sri Lankan Airlines in Terminal 3.
Print Wikipost

SIN lounge & Concorde Bar Concept

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
It is pity than BA are effectively screwing over Golds and OneWorld equivalents with these single lounge + Concorde offerings.

It is certainly not in the spirit of the Emerald 'First class lounge access' benefit.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: LH HON
Because you have to enjoy a decent J Lounge with other OWE?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
The new BA lounge at SIN

What struck me most of all about my visit to this new lounge may not be the lounge itself. Don't get me wrong: it is a great lounge. However what gave me goosebumps (honestly!) was the dedication of the staff. I know we often criticize the staff of BA (or any other service company) but we (or at least I) may sometimes forget how involved all these people are.

I won't bore you with lounge rules and details - however important - but I want to try and convey that feeling I got from everyone I spoke to in my brief visit as customer #1 (yes, I'm proud of that).

Each and every employee / manager I met was sincerely glowing with pride. Honest pride. I heard how hard they worked to develop the lounge and how proud they are of the result. It honestly moved me.

I spoke to the chefs who worked hard to prepare a buffet that could compete with their neighbors at Qantas. Their inquiries to my opinion were genuine as was their pride. I felt guilty I had no time to taste what looked like a well prepared offering.

I honestly don't care if it is better than QF. That will be proven when it is full of customers. I'm sure we get reports soon. What impressed me on this visit is the staff and how happy they were.

Concorde Bar

Do I like the Concorde 'Coffin' ? Not really. But I already saw management discussing the lighting situation, so I would not be surprised if some improvements will follow. As I see it, the concept is attractive for those who want to feel special (as in having the combination to the 'safe'). A fully booked A380 in F will fill the room to the max, but at least those who want to have their 'special place'.

My biggest tip is to talk to the staff and feel their excitement. I forgot my Golden Ticket but one would not have been enough anyway. I hope someone at BA reads this and compliments all the staff. It was nice to meet the chefs (very nice guys !) and some other people you normally don't see.

Well done to the entire BA team on this. I hope to see you again soon.

I have one practical 'question' about the lounge setup of OW at SIN in general. It would have made so much more sense to collaborate on the lounges at SIN. Keep the QF for OW business and use the BA space for OW emerald and a bigger F pax section and maybe an exclusive dining room. Maybe something to think about at other out stations at terminals where there is no OW home airline although there aren't that many.

Last edited by henkybaby; Aug 25, 2015 at 7:18 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by henkybaby
The new BA lounge at SIN
Thanks for the report Henky, dedication to the cause!!

On the practical point, though it makes a lot of sense, I can just see the confusion and possible upset of (say) Sapphires being sent to Qantas. It makes sense for the frequent flyer, but the once or twice a year passenger - which is the overwhelming majority - it wouldn't necessarily strike them as logical and someone would moan about not getting the appropriate type of tea or some such. Plus there are all the branding issues, which are above my pay grade.....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, brand both lounges as OW. CX can use an upgrade too.

In the Pier now. Need I say more ?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
I was surprised at how exited all staff members were. It was a real party. I have the honor of being their first guest. Now isn't that nice. Overall impression is good. Not as big as I expected but certainly well appointed.

There is a competition with the QF lounge as everyone asked which one I would prefer. To be honest, I think QF. It's more spacey. The Concorde Bar was nice but very claustrofbic. No windows and dark. Not sure I would use it, even when traveling in F.

About adequately whelmed I would say.
Thanks for sharing the photos with us, and how lucky you were to be their FIRST guest. May well pop in next month on way to SYD, but we do prefer the QF lounge, but it will be interesting to see the make over
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This part I don't like so much. It's the 'watching sports area'.

A familiar bar...

I like the color scheme. Chairs are comfy too.

Probably my favourite spot

I suspect these will become the 'late arrival seats'. Could have done with some more decoration.

The AF lounge seating...

Overview

Food looked very good and the chefs were a) very nice blokes and b) proud of their work. It is no CX lounge but it certainly looks appetising. I suggested they steal some more ideas from the neighbours who I believe still win the food battle.

To be honest, with the possible exception of JFK (haven't been in a while), I think it is the best outstation lounge yet. Compliments to the team !

For the CC Bar I refer to that thread. I will now enjoy the new Pier Lounge at HKG. It is a m a z i n g . . .
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:31 am

I have one practical 'question' about the lounge setup of OW at SIN in general. It would have made so much more sense to collaborate on the lounges at SIN. Keep the QF for OW business and use the BA space for OW emerald and a bigger F pax section and maybe an exclusive dining room. Maybe something to think about at other out stations at terminals where there is no OW home airline although there aren't that many.
I think it would be tough to convince the accountants on that one. BA would be paying QF for every BA flying J/Sapphire passenger through their doors with only a handful of Qantas flying Emeralds coming the other way (no F on SIN flights).

QF already makes plenty hoovering up all the Oneworld flyers so cant see them doing BA any favours.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phol
I think it would be tough to convince the accountants on that one. BA would be paying QF for every BA flying J/Sapphire passenger through their doors with only a handful of Qantas flying Emeralds coming the other way (no F on SIN flights).
It would have to come from creative OW thinking. CX has a very poor offering at T1 and OW pax are basically 'stranded' before 14:30 when QF opens. I never thought it would be easy, but to my simple mind, this is where alliances should work better together and where improvements are most easily made this way.

Maybe I am thinking too simple but can't OW be the 3rd party running those lounges ? SkyTeam is doing the same at HKG...
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:43 am

It would have to come from creative OW thinking. CX has a very poor offering at T1 and OW pax are basically 'stranded' before 14:30 when QF opens. I never thought it would be easy, but to my simple mind, this is where alliances should work better together and where improvements are most easily made this way.

Maybe I am thinking too simple but can't OW be the 3rd party running those lounges ? SkyTeam is doing the same at HKG...
CX is off in 2 years. Moving to T4 and taking their new lounge concept with them.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phol
CX is off in 2 years. Moving to T4 and taking their new lounge concept with them.
Well, there goes that idea...

Is there a reason OW is not centralised at one terminal in SIN ?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Well, there goes that idea...

Is there a reason OW is not centralised at one terminal in SIN ?
I assume the respective airlines were all happily in their terminals before Oneworld came into existence/they joined it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Lots of power points by the looks of it
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: BA gold
Thanks henkybaby for the photos and taking the time to do it on a short connection. ^ It's a big difference from the stuffy old lounge that used to be there.

Have the shower facilities been updated too?

I agree the row of seating as if one is at a sporting event looks a bit poorly arranged, it reminds me of some of the US lounges especially the Alaska Airlines' Boardroom at ANC.

I hope the food offering is much improved, I am glad to hear the staff are engaged to compete with QF, that should set the bar high and hopefully the shower facilities will be too. Probably will pass through next month as a BA Gold in Y.

It certainly looks like the question of "Which SIN lounge do I go to" is about to get a lot more subjective than it has been, as for a while now, it was a no-brainer to go to the QF lounge.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Any idea what champagne is served in the lounge and the Concorde bar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.