Community
Wiki Posts
Search

your favourite made up rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by njf63
I for one would love to know what stopped you packing a tape measure ?
Relatively similar scenario, really, several years back. On an American flight from EZE to JFK... buried in the bottom of my shoulder bag was a small, wooden-cased tape measure that I had bought in Tokyo awhile back, and had kept in my bag as from time to time, I run across something I might like to buy for the house, but only if I can quickly determine the size and check on fit. Extended length about a meter, and the tape (though metal) couldn't have been more than 3-4mm wide. The whole case was probably about 3 cm x 3 cm and perhaps 5mm thick.

As my bag rolls out of the X-ray, I'm asked by the screener if I have a "cinta metrica" in my bag. My Spanish wasn't so great at the time, and after pausing to think about it, I was proud to have understood that she was asking about a tape measure, and thinking that she just needed to verify that's what it was, I quickly fished it out from the bottom of my bag to show.

Next question was to where I was flying, and I answered New York, at which point she explained that I wasn't allowed to take a tape measure on a flight to New York... now, to be fair, this was at a time where there was pretty aggressive secondary screening on the jetways for US destination flights, so she was probably trying to prevent my having a possible problem later on. As the tape measure was really a rather nice decorative piece that brought a fond memory of a rare visit to Tokyo, I was very reluctant to give it up! I would have much more willingly given up the fork...

There hadn't been any wait at security, so I figured I had time to pop back down to the AA check-in and see if I could get it put into my checked bags somehow. I was flying in First, so figured my chances of getting back to my original check-in agent and perhaps getting some help were pretty good. Although getting my bags back wasn't possible, the agent was extremely helpful and understanding, to the point that she found an empty cardboard box they had somewhere, found something to secure the tape measure inside the box so it wouldn't move around or somehow slip out, tape the box shut... she really went the extra mile to sort me out!

By the time I got back up to security, the waits had gotten a lot worse, so in the end I lost more time than I had expected, but I got to New York with my tape measure - which now resides mostly in my desk drawer, or occasionally goes into a checked bag if I think I'll need it travelling.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can bring a tale from T5 security this week.

At connections, as it so often is, the top of the North fast-track escalator was rammed and the staff member had opened the barrier and was directing pax to use the Fast Track at the top-end. I had no problem doing that as its often quicker.

I walked up there with my plus one to be told I couldn't use the Fast Track there. I pointed out that I had been directed there by his colleague and this is a regular and normal occurrence when the bottom end is so busy. He then said it was an immigration issue. Naturally I responded stating I had already been through immigration downstairs. To which his response was that pax going through security at Fast Track connections cannot go land-side to check in their liquids if they have too much! (But in his logic this wasn't applicable to the standard lane adjacent to Fast Track) I was aghast and said he was making some rule up. He retorted that it didn't matter anyway and there was 'no way I was coming through' and 'I work here, I know the rules'. I asked for his name and he covered his badge up proclaiming 'you're not seeing that' and walked off. This amused my +1 and I greatly as he came across as the type of person who would complain of such treatment himself on the Telly.

At the corner of my eye I spotted a supervisor who I beckoned over, I relayed the tale, pointing out I was no interloper and had been directed there by their colleague at the bottom end. Finally, we were allowed access and through in about a minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.