Community
Wiki Posts
Search

your favourite made up rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by perthflyer
I had to google scooter case as I had no idea what you were talking about. I shouldn't have googled it because I now want to get one. I didn't even know such a thing existed!
They are good fun as well as useful for the longer hikes. Got mine airside at VIE (Schengen section).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Is this made up? I thought everything purchased post security requires boarding pass?
Purely for the purposes of WH Smith claiming back VAT I believe, no (direct) passenger benefit - which is incredibly idiotic when you're buying a zero rated item...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Purely for the purposes of WH Smith claiming back VAT I believe, no (direct) passenger benefit - which is incredibly idiotic when you're buying a zero rated item...
It's not remotely idiotic. I'd say making staff memorise a list of zero rated products is far more idiotic than just scanning every time.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by callum9999
It's not remotely idiotic. I'd say making staff memorise a list of zero rated products is far more idiotic than just scanning every time.
When the question is asked after the item is scanned it is idiotic - not the staff member, but the system (it knows / should know what items are VATable as needs to be shown on receipt anyway). And it's also not a requirement for selling the item, just for convenience of the store so they can claim back VAT as appropriate.

A staff member falling back on a made up rule in such a situation, or being forced to claim that because the system doesn't allow no for an answer is nonsensical (some variety from 'idiotic' )
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
A staff member falling back on a made up rule in such a situation, or being forced to claim that because the system doesn't allow no for an answer is nonsensical (some variety from 'idiotic' )
You are being unkind and unfair. Staff are required to to record boarding cards for each transaction. Simple as that: it's their job.

Arguing the toss with the sales person at the till is idiotic.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You are being unkind and unfair. Staff are required to to record boarding cards for each transaction. Simple as that: it's their job.

Arguing the toss with the sales person at the till is idiotic.
I'm not suggesting being an a**e and arguing, I responded to someone asking about why they are asked for their BP and gave the explanation. If WH Smith have the idiotic and nonsensical policy of requiring a BP be produced so they can record whether a transaction is eligible for VAT reclaim on a zero rated product it is nonsensical. And if the system doesn't allow a staff member any leeway I can understand why they might make something up. WH Smith might have a very good explanation for why they can't add a system prompt, or distinguish between products in this way, but doesn't negate the end result. The whole thread is about made-up rules, and this is one WH Smith has made up for a whole class of products. Boots is slightly more sensible on the issue and is happy to sell you things if you'd rather not dig out your BP.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Originally Posted by BOH
Seriously?? What is the problem in scanning it for a second time anyway?

Presumably you two are the classic type that think the handbaggage rules apply to everyone but you as well?
Not sure how you've came to that conclusion or what relevance it has to our posts. I check my bag in, so I don't have to start queuing at the game as soon as it's open and then battle to get it stowed.

As for the scanners, the problem is (and it's been confirmed to me by HAL staff) that the scanner is in the wrong place for the information it's being used for.

They only push you to scan when it's clear, but not so when it's busy and takes an age to get through fast track.

That information then suggests that security isn't an issue and the process is quick for the majority, which as we all know is simply not true.

I scan when it's horrendously busy in the hope that HAL are made to improve it.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by thepinkponce
Not sure how you've came to that conclusion or what relevance it has to our posts. I check my bag in, so I don't have to start queuing at the game as soon as it's open and then battle to get it stowed.

As for the scanners, the problem is (and it's been confirmed to me by HAL staff) that the scanner is in the wrong place for the information it's being used for.

They only push you to scan when it's clear, but not so when it's busy and takes an age to get through fast track.

That information then suggests that security isn't an issue and the process is quick for the majority, which as we all know is simply not true.

I scan when it's horrendously busy in the hope that HAL are made to improve it.
And that they employ someone to collect the data yet allow massive backlogs on secondary scan - easier to game the stats that address root causes it seems
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:12 am

Irish Immigration

I traveled from LHR/LCY to DUB recently, on both routes passports were checked on arrival in DUB. The other direction there were no passport checks when coming back to the UK. Do any of you know why that is?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
I traveled from LHR/LCY to DUB recently, on both routes passports were checked on arrival in DUB. The other direction there were no passport checks when coming back to the UK. Do any of you know why that is?
DUB has no current way/desire to provide a separate channel for CTA arrivals. There's a long thread on here if you search.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
They will let UK and Irish citizens through with other forms of ID - though on the proviso they can prove their nationality

Less than 2 months until the Irish passport card is available, will free my passport (but not me!) from this tyranny
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
They will let UK and Irish citizens through with other forms of ID - though on the proviso they can prove their nationality

Less than 2 months until the Irish passport card is available, will free my passport (but not me!) from this tyranny
35 EUR for a five year card - bit of an expensive 2nd passport ... haven't yet decided whether to bother with it.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
it was the more "flammable sign" 'proving' that the deo wasn't allowed to go with me (not the one person at a time - which was to approach bag conveyor thingy - not the x-ray machine).
I had a mini-deodarant taken from me at a security screening in Chongqing earlier this year. When I complained that I had purchased it at an airside shop (not in China though I should add) and taken a similar item through security on many occasions, the security operator took out his cigarette lighter and used the spray-can to give me a mini-flame thrower demonstration, assuming I guess that I would see the obvious error of my ways.

Instead I just asked him if cigarette lighters were allowed on board, and after he said "no" (these are still prohibited items in China), replied, "well in that case what's the problem then?"

Didn't help of course (he still confiscated the deoderant spray), but at least gave me a momentary warm-fuzzy-smug feeling.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I think it was the knucklehad comment that UKtravelbear was referring to.
Indeed it was.

I am getting fed up of the low level abuse against people doing their jobs that appears to be pernicious on the BA board.

Yes they can sometimes be irrational but then so can passengers.

There is no need for it and I wish more people called it out when it happens.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Andrew.Smith
35 EUR for a five year card - bit of an expensive 2nd passport ... haven't yet decided whether to bother with it.
I'm having to forego my passport after my current trip so I can get an Indian visa - this card will save me the same hassle when getting my Chinese visa for a trip in December. So very worthwhile for me in that regard (cheaper than the expedited fee I'll be stuck with for India...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.