Wiki Posts
Search

your favourite made up rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mka5
At the new fast track (aka "Copenhagen Express") in CPH:

-No, you have to go to the general queue over there.
-But look my boarding card says fast track.
-This is not fast track - this is Copenhagen Express (patronizing voice)
-But I got an e-mail saying it is available for Silver (showing e-mail on phone)
-Yeah, but this is not for BA Silver. You have to be Gold, umm...Platinum or....ehhh...Diamond level with BA. (condescending voice)

LOL!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
At KUL a couple of weeks ago, got denied entry to the lounge.

"This is not for silver, you have to be a Sapphire or travelling in business class."

I was both. Apparently someone is a little too focused on Boolean operators...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Josh Davis
Under 'Household Items', it says:

However, bit ambiguous I think and should be construed to the benefit of the customer (with my lawyerly drafting hat on)
The link from the AA to the TSA website states:

Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) NO NO

So I'd conclude only aerosols in limited quantities for personal care/toiletries are permitted.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
At Muscat airport at the (unannounced) secondary screening by the gate (performed by the police, instead of the primary screening near checkin performed by the airport security), the police took a
spork spork
off me, claiming it was "like a fork" and not allowed. No opportunity to go back and check it in, of course.

I could only proceed to the aircraft and sit down in seat 1K where they soon gave me a much pointier fork, which I used to take over control of the aircraft eat my dinner.

I'm sure they were making it up.

Since everyone else I encountered in Oman was civil and polite, it rather took the shine off the visit towards the end.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I have the Logitech ultra thin keyboard cover for my iPad. I was told on a BA flight that I couldn't use my iPad during take off and landing because with the keyboard cover it became a 'larger electronic device'
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
I hate it when cabin crew tell me I can't self-upgrade. They still haven't been able to show me where it says that in the T&Cs.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
At NCL security this week

Took my belt off as requested and placed it into my holdall but forgot to zip it back it.
Security lady turned the holdhall on it side and much of the contents fell out
I re-packed and asked why she needed to do this - she siad 'so the x-ray machine could see into my bag'
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gallagher
she siad 'so the x-ray machine could see into my bag'
She is actually correct. The main scan comes from above, and it's easier to spot items if they are tipped on their side. Can't be done with rollaboards so most agents don't bother these days, but duffle bags and other non rigids are sometimes prone to this turning process.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by chris1979

2. not that I am particularly weak bladdered but I often like using the toilet just before we set off as I find that AA pilots leave the seatbelt on for a very long time on longer flights and I drink lots of water to stay well hydrated on trips. Done it many many times - never during taxi or safety briefing but always when still at the gate. on recent AA flight, doors had literally just closed as I was walking to the toilet (no safety briefing being shown yet, no particular action taking place in galley, we were still firmly at the gate, jetty hadn't even started moving yet, etc) but the stewardess (whose face showed how much she didn't enjoy her job or the fact that there were passengers on board) told me firmly that I would have to wait until after take-off as the rules stated that bathrooms couldn't be used once doors are closed.....
I appreciate a last minute wizz as much as the next bloke, but I don't think this one's made up, given that the doors can't be closed until everyone's seated.

Last edited by DH188; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:56 am Reason: Added empathy
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Where does it say no aerosols?

Under 'personal items; it says
under household items it says Aerosols as NO

and again under pressurized containers/compressed gases it says Spray Cans as NO.

so, the OP was in PTY dealing with a small minded, minimum wage knucklehead that followed two of the guidelines.

mind you, in PTY bic type lighters are also prohibited as carry-on...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
DON airport before the new terminal was constructed (deconstructed).
Small typical ex USSR type Airport building.
No smoking area inside, but most folks would go to the end of the building and have a puff in a stairwell. Having traveled through here many times without issue, one day a security officer decides its to be no smoking if you cant speak Russian.
Not OK for me to smoke, but numerous Ukraine/Russians quite happily puffing away whilst swigging a brew.
It did occur to me that maybe I needed to pay some local security tax to be allowed to participate .
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: BA Gold GFL, Marriott Gold, Swissotel Eleva, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Worcester
I was told at LHR security that the secondary scan of my boarding pass was mandatory. When I said it was not, it was just to mislead the CAA, I was warned that it was a legal requirement and I would not be allowed to board.
It I'd NOT a legal requirement. I had the same issue yesterday and I refused to allow them to scan it. They admitted to me when I asked for the supervisor that it is only to see how quickly they process people. It largely depends on who you get, some of the security people are ok, and understand, others get upset "don't you want to improve security" or become rude - as in yesterday's case which is why I have lodged a formal complaint.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by teevee
under household items it says Aerosols as NO

and again under pressurized containers/compressed gases it says Spray Cans as NO.

so, the OP was in PTY dealing with a small minded, minimum wage knucklehead that followed two of the guidelines.

mind you, in PTY bic type lighters are also prohibited as carry-on...
There really is no need to use phrases like that. It reflects badly on you.

If I was checking whether or not deodorant was allowed or not I'd be looking in the 'personal items' section and not in 'household' or 'pressurised containers/compressed gases'.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There really is no need to use phrases like that. It reflects badly on you.

If I was checking whether or not deodorant was allowed or not I'd be looking in the 'personal items' section and not in 'household' or 'pressurised containers/compressed gases'.
flown through latin america much, have you? my guess is probably not based on your comment.

the problem is that folks there DO check under all of the sections and then ADD their own list of stuff they want to strip you of. i've had mini bottles of liquor taken away from me even though they are FAR under the liquid limit and are not classified as prohibited. never in asia, never in europe and never in the US.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:03 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
I was told at LHR security that the secondary scan of my boarding pass was mandatory. When I said it was not, it was just to mislead the CAA, I was warned that it was a legal requirement and I would not be allowed to board.
Originally Posted by thepinkponce
Similar to me. I only scan at those when the queue through fasttrack is horrendous. When it's quiet they're actively making people scan them. When it's busy they don't even ask.

I refused to scan it and said similar to you. I was denied from going through security until I scanned it. I still refused and asked for a supervisor.

I could have just scanned it, but that's not the point
Seriously?? What is the problem in scanning it for a second time anyway?

Presumably you two are the classic type that think the handbaggage rules apply to everyone but you as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.