your favourite made up rules.....

Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
your favourite made up rules.....

on the current trip, I've encountered 2 made-up rules I'd not heard before so I thought a bit of amusement on here sharing your favourite made up rules wouldn't go amiss.

1. at PTY security, before the actual x-ray screening, the lady tasked with doing little apart from telling people to only step forward to the x-ray one at the time (thus slowing down the flow), takes interest in a mini spray deodorant that I bought in the US (under 100 mls and it had made it through numerous other x-rays machines in various airports across the US). She pulls it out of my plastic bag, reads on the back, points to the "flammable" sign (she didn't speak English so we were communicating in different languages) and took it off me. I tried to explain in best charade-mode that it was deo, that it was absolutely fine, had flown through a lot of airports but to no avail. she then also pulls out my other UK mini deo sprays out and confiscates them all on the basis they also had 'flammable' signs on them. (those who know me will understand that this was most unsettling for me).

2. not that I am particularly weak bladdered but I often like using the toilet just before we set off as I find that AA pilots leave the seatbelt on for a very long time on longer flights and I drink lots of water to stay well hydrated on trips. Done it many many times - never during taxi or safety briefing but always when still at the gate. on recent AA flight, doors had literally just closed as I was walking to the toilet (no safety briefing being shown yet, no particular action taking place in galley, we were still firmly at the gate, jetty hadn't even started moving yet, etc) but the stewardess (whose face showed how much she didn't enjoy her job or the fact that there were passengers on board) told me firmly that I would have to wait until after take-off as the rules stated that bathrooms couldn't be used once doors are closed.....

what are your favourite "made up" rules?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Regarding item 1, people are called one at a time through the metal detector so as to avoid proximity triggers.

Regarding item 2, was the seatbelt sign on? I suspect it might have been if the doors were closed.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Genius1
Regarding item 1, people are called one at a time through the metal detector so as to avoid proximity triggers.

Regarding item 2, was the seatbelt sign on? I suspect it might have been if the doors were closed.
it was the more "flammable sign" 'proving' that the deo wasn't allowed to go with me (not the one person at a time - which was to approach bag conveyor thingy - not the x-ray machine).

yes, it was. but that wasn't her explanation (and later on others were able to use toilets after take-off but before sign is off). If she had said "seat belt is on, you can't use it", that would have been much more understandable than "doors are closed, you can't use the toilet now until we are airbone".
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Security at Aberdeen airport.

I had a cheap zipped clear plastic bag (bought from Boots as a travel clear plastic bag for carry on bags) which I used for my toiletries on an overnight trip to Oslo. (Which had been used on many trips out of ABZ - my home base).

A lady at security informed me that my bag did not meet the security standard because my bag was not disposable.

I suppressed the smile and dutifully took everything out of my clear plastic bag that allowed total visibility, and placed it into the bag offered that was indeed disposable, however - devilishly I used it three more times (I'm a rebel I know) before it fell apart, only to be renewed with another disposable bag that I actually used many times, and therefore willingly broke the ABZ security rule.

I have yet to be arrested for this lawless behaviour.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; IHG Plat; My Waitrose Card (Great for free coffee!)
Originally Posted by chris1979

1. at PTY security, before the actual x-ray screening, the lady tasked with doing little apart from telling people to only step forward to the x-ray one at the time (thus slowing down the flow), takes interest in a mini spray deodorant that I bought in the US (under 100 mls and it had made it through numerous other x-rays machines in various airports across the US). She pulls it out of my plastic bag, reads on the back, points to the "flammable" sign (she didn't speak English so we were communicating in different languages) and took it off me. I tried to explain in best charade-mode that it was deo, that it was absolutely fine, had flown through a lot of airports but to no avail. she then also pulls out my other UK mini deo sprays out and confiscates them all on the basis they also had 'flammable' signs on them. (those who know me will understand that this was most unsettling for me).
Had the same issue in PTY last week and lost my deodorant as well. The security lady was after anything that might have been an aerosol, and looked disappointed when she found my insect repellant was a pump spray.

The thing that really made me laugh was the second security screen at the AA gate by AA agents making a human conveyor belt
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've got one of those scooter cases that fits in the overhead compartment. Its great for those long walkways that we all experience. I'm a responsible 'driver' and only scoot when there is plenty of space and I'm less of a hazard than those electric buggies. I've used it a lot with no problem at countless airports on three continents, apart from the fact that it attracts some looks. However, once at LGW I was going over the empty skybridge walking area. I passed an unidentifiable official who was on the moving walkway who shouted at me to walk only or else he would ensure I would not be allowed to fly and would be banned from the airport.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by RolandLondon
I've got one of those scooter cases that fits in the overhead compartment. Its great for those long walkways that we all experience. I'm a responsible 'driver' and only scoot when there is plenty of space and I'm less of a hazard than those electric buggies. I've used it a lot with no problem at countless airports on three continents, apart from the fact that it attracts some looks. However, once at LGW I was going over the empty skybridge walking area. I passed an unidentifiable official who was on the moving walkway who shouted at me to walk only or else he would ensure I would not be allowed to fly and would be banned from the airport.
I had to google scooter case as I had no idea what you were talking about. I shouldn't have googled it because I now want to get one. I didn't even know such a thing existed!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by perthflyer
I had to google scooter case as I had no idea what you were talking about. I shouldn't have googled it because I now want to get one. I didn't even know such a thing existed!
Me too. Looks like fun
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"Small carryons must be stowed under the seat in front of you."

Sorry, not if it's my only bag.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by perthflyer
Same goes for me. Never knew such a thing existed and definitely haven't encountered one myself either.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Me too. Looks like fun
And me. I want one of these things.

Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I was told at LHR security that the secondary scan of my boarding pass was mandatory. When I said it was not, it was just to mislead the CAA, I was warned that it was a legal requirement and I would not be allowed to board.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by chris1979
(and later on others were able to use toilets after take-off but before sign is off).
This something that seems to happen all the time on AA/US; I've noticed that on some 90-120min they don't even bother switching off the Seatbelt sign in the first place ...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Originally Posted by Worcester
I was told at LHR security that the secondary scan of my boarding pass was mandatory. When I said it was not, it was just to mislead the CAA, I was warned that it was a legal requirement and I would not be allowed to board.
Similar to me. I only scan at those when the queue through fasttrack is horrendous. When it's quiet they're actively making people scan them. When it's busy they don't even ask.

I refused to scan it and said similar to you. I was denied from going through security until I scanned it. I still refused and asked for a supervisor.

I could have just scanned it, but that's not the point
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
And me. I want one of these things.

Me too, but hopefully I won't have the same silly expression on my face while riding along....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.