Community
Wiki Posts
Search

your favourite made up rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Yesterday on BA233.

You can only buy 200 cigarettes. It's against the law to buy more. Err I'm flying to Russia. Yes but this is an UK plane and UK law says 200. OK, go get the CSM please. Why? So I can deal with someone who understands that we fly to Russia and Russian Customs check my Duty Free not English. She will say the same, it's the law. Please may I speak to the CSM...

CSM, err sorry Sir, of course the law of the country you fly to is the one you need follow. Good job you are not flying to Oz... There they only let you bring in 50!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Andrew.Smith
Since a 10 year full passport is 80 euro - would it not be worth paying the extra 10 euro (and locking down the cost) to give you the extra flexibility of travelling to non-EU countries ?

I've got two different passports, so don't have to worry about this
Sadly only works for a business passport and needs various supporting documents that I don't have (letter from employer, proof of regular visa applications etc. - this year is a bit unusual) - shame, could be quite handy!

Maybe I should just pick up an additional citizenship
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Children under 6 aren't allowed in the F cabin.

It's a rule I've just made up. Anyone that was in F on BA113 today will understand why
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
On the phone with Iberia's UK call centre, trying to take advantage of their crazy ex-ACC to West Coast deal, and wanting to book an IB codeshare up to London:

"Oh no, I can't book that - the flight is operated by BA"
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
[QUOTE=carrotjuice;25275306]Seems the retailers are reacting to the Independent article.

I was at Fortnum at T5 and when the checkout girl asked for my boarding pass, I asked in return why if the items I purchased were exactly the same price as their Piccadilly store. She kinda glanced knowingly at another checkout girl who stepped in to say that "BA asked them to scan the passes!?"

QUOTE]

now that raises an interesting point. I read another thread which I now cant find which was to do with the proposed Premium corridor from F check in direct to lounges at T5 with dedicated security. Apparently its going ahead AFTER BA was able to convince HAL that the vast majority of its premium passengers don't go shopping in the terminal. This would have been a way of monitoring by route/cabin spending behaviours
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Scrudgy
Security at Aberdeen airport.

A lady at security informed me that my bag did not meet the security standard because my bag was not disposable.
Have that every time on the Virgin UC fast track at LHR
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I'm having to forego my passport after my current trip so I can get an Indian visa - this card will save me the same hassle when getting my Chinese visa for a trip in December. So very worthwhile for me in that regard (cheaper than the expedited fee I'll be stuck with for India...)
35EUR is considerably cheaper than the cost I have to pay for a second passport. I'd be all over that.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:22 am

I don't think people should be harsh directly with WH Smith staff. These are people on relatively low wages, working shifts at all hours. They're following the rules they've been told to and aren't trying all out to make everyone's day difficult.

If the issue is with the company, as is the case with BP scans, then complain to the company.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
This was a rather brilliant story

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11097095-post1.html

By B747-437B

Gatwick airport some time ago.

I had picked up some pasta at the M&S Simply Food to cook when I got home that evening and put it in my carryon.

Going through security, the bag gets flagged.

"What's this?"
"Pasta"
"Didn't you read the signs about liquids?"
"Yes, but this is pasta"
"Pasta is a liquid"
"Huh? How is pasta a liquid?"
"You have to add water to cook it. That makes it a liquid"
"I see, may I speak to the Zulu please"

(ed. note : "Zulu" is the callsign for the BAA Security supervisor at Gatwick South)

Zulu is summoned. Thankfully, the duty Zulu knows me casually and we exchange New Year greetings.

"Whats the problem?"
"He's trying to take these liquids through"
"What liquids?"
(holding up package of pasta) "These"
"That's pasta"
"Yes"

Moment of puzzled silence.

"Thats ok, he can take it."

Monty Python couldn't have scripted it any better.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
This was a rather brilliant story

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11097095-post1.html

By B747-437B

Gatwick airport some time ago.
Sounds like someone at Gatwick doesn't realise the difference between paste and pasta.

Or maybe there was a typo in the training materials used for this employee.

Or maybe the employee was Dutch! (In Dutch, pasta means both "paste" and "pasta").
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Mutu

now that raises an interesting point. I read another thread which I now cant find which was to do with the proposed Premium corridor from F check in direct to lounges at T5 with dedicated security. Apparently its going ahead AFTER BA was able to convince HAL that the vast majority of its premium passengers don't go shopping in the terminal. This would have been a way of monitoring by route/cabin spending behaviours
At least in my case, the layout of T5 (and convoluted trajectory to reach the South Lounge complex) actually discourages my buying anything. My approach after security screening has always been to get settled in the lounge as promptly as possible, usually looking to refresh and re-hydrate as well. Then, if there's time, I may actually venture out to the shops if I'm keen to get something. By slowing me down, HAL has actually reduced the likelihood that I'll buy anything, as those extra few minutes during which I'd have done so get absorbed by an unneeded escalator circuit.

This is especially true in my usual connecting situation, where there are occasionally things that I would only tend to find in the UK, and apart from my transit of LHR, I am not actually in the UK at all. So yes, there's a decent chance I may buy something as a somewhat captive passenger, but no, it's just not going to happen if airport layout wastes too much of my time.

Back to the main topic, though, my favourite (not even sure it's made up - but certainly illogical) rule is the one LHR security told me about having to confiscate a piece of normal basically harmless cutlery from me - one I had taken many flights with - since it was on a list kept at the security checkpoint of disallowed items (note - it was not on the BA site as disallowed - at least not then).

I asked them to show me said list, and they said that I'm not allowed to see the list, also for security reasons. I asked how on earth a passenger is supposed to know what he's allowed to bring and not allowed to bring if they also keep the list a secret! As I had plenty of time on my hands, I actually proceeded to tell them I wanted to send the item as checked baggage (I think it was a fork... the spoon apparently was okay, and I had already been smart enough to leave the knife from the fork/knife/spoon set at home). I actually had a small case that was suitable for checking it in, and with minor delay this was eventually permitted.

Just to be clear, if airport security is going to set a rule about not allowing a passenger to take his own fork with him, I grant them the right to do so, and for this potentially to vary from airport to airport. To that end, I've also since stopped travelling with a fork (and a tape measure, but that's another story)... What I found ridiculous was that they would have a list of things that they're allowed to take off you for security reasons, but that passengers aren't allowed to know what's on that list - also for security reasons!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:51 am

Last week boarding Lgw-Agp the gate dragon held up the boarding queue whilst a family of 5 were told to 'individually present their boarding passes with their passport, due to new security rules'. They'd presented them together and the oldest kid looked about 8!

That really helped speed up the boarding process whilst we all waited behind......
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Schultzois
At least in my case, the layout of T5 (and convoluted trajectory to reach the South Lounge complex) actually discourages my buying anything. My approach after security screening has always been to get settled in the lounge as promptly as possible, usually looking to refresh and re-hydrate as well. Then, if there's time, I may actually venture out to the shops if I'm keen to get something. By slowing me down, HAL has actually reduced the likelihood that I'll buy anything, as those extra few minutes during which I'd have done so get absorbed by an unneeded escalator circuit.

This is especially true in my usual connecting situation, where there are occasionally things that I would only tend to find in the UK, and apart from my transit of LHR, I am not actually in the UK at all. So yes, there's a decent chance I may buy something as a somewhat captive passenger, but no, it's just not going to happen if airport layout wastes too much of my time.

Back to the main topic, though, my favourite (not even sure it's made up - but certainly illogical) rule is the one LHR security told me about having to confiscate a piece of normal basically harmless cutlery from me - one I had taken many flights with - since it was on a list kept at the security checkpoint of disallowed items (note - it was not on the BA site as disallowed - at least not then).

I asked them to show me said list, and they said that I'm not allowed to see the list, also for security reasons. I asked how on earth a passenger is supposed to know what he's allowed to bring and not allowed to bring if they also keep the list a secret! As I had plenty of time on my hands, I actually proceeded to tell them I wanted to send the item as checked baggage (I think it was a fork... the spoon apparently was okay, and I had already been smart enough to leave the knife from the fork/knife/spoon set at home). I actually had a small case that was suitable for checking it in, and with minor delay this was eventually permitted.

Just to be clear, if airport security is going to set a rule about not allowing a passenger to take his own fork with him, I grant them the right to do so, and for this potentially to vary from airport to airport. To that end, I've also since stopped travelling with a fork (and a tape measure, but that's another story)... What I found ridiculous was that they would have a list of things that they're allowed to take off you for security reasons, but that passengers aren't allowed to know what's on that list - also for security reasons!
I for one would love to know what stopped you packing a tape measure ?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Sounds like someone at Gatwick doesn't realise the difference between paste and pasta.

Or maybe there was a typo in the training materials used for this employee.

Or maybe the employee was Dutch! (In Dutch, pasta means both "paste" and "pasta").
I have to admire your positive interpretation of this incident. I just assumed that it was a officious jumped up moron. You leave me feeling deeply cynical.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
On a HEL-LHR sector: "If you are seated in an emergency exit row, or our Club Europe cabin, the floor area around your seat must be completely clear."

After the second bus boarded and the announcement was repeated: "If you are seated in an emergency exit row, or our First or Club World cabins, the floor area around your seat must be completely clear."

First to HEL? Yes please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.