Community
Wiki Posts
Search

your favourite made up rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold GFL, Marriott Gold, Swissotel Eleva, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by BOH
Seriously?? What is the problem in scanning it for a second time anyway?

Presumably you two are the classic type that think the handbaggage rules apply to everyone but you as well?
They are scanning your boarding card and taking information they are not entitled to. As I stated earlier the reason for them wanting to scan a second time is to monitor numbers - it is nothing related to the passengers security and there is no legal obligation for any passenger to agree to this if they so wish. They can threaten as much as they like it will not stand up, and if it means denial of boarding then they are legally responsible.

We live in an environment where information security is key, they are potentially violating this - because you don't know what they are doing with this information after your boarding pass has been scanned.

From my point of view I politely decline, if they don't like it I call for the supervisor.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:50 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by teevee
flown through latin america much, have you? my guess is probably not based on your comment.

the problem is that folks there DO check under all of the sections and then ADD their own list of stuff they want to strip you of. i've had mini bottles of liquor taken away from me even though they are FAR under the liquid limit and are not classified as prohibited. never in asia, never in europe and never in the US.
I think it was the knucklehad comment that UKtravelbear was referring to.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by aksai oiler
They are scanning your boarding card and taking information they are not entitled to. As I stated earlier the reason for them wanting to scan a second time is to monitor numbers - it is nothing related to the passengers security and there is no legal obligation for any passenger to agree to this if they so wish. They can threaten as much as they like it will not stand up, and if it means denial of boarding then they are legally responsible.

We live in an environment where information security is key, they are potentially violating this - because you don't know what they are doing with this information after your boarding pass has been scanned.

From my point of view I politely decline, if they don't like it I call for the supervisor.
You're right that there is no legal obligation to agree the second scan, and this has been discussed at length in other threads, though I don't think there is much to worry about from an information security perspective. They already have all the BP info from the first scan, the only extra info I can see they gain from the second is the time between the two scans, which they use for CAA stats.

Some people view the position of the scan as massaging the stats (though in their defence that is how the CAA measures these things, for better or worse), and they don't have a right to tell you it is mandatory, but I'm not sure there is any data theft conspiracy on the part of HAL.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by BOH
Seriously?? What is the problem in scanning it for a second time anyway?

Presumably you two are the classic type that think the handbaggage rules apply to everyone but you as well?
The problem is that HAL use the time from the first scan to the second scan to show the CAA that processing times are low and thus justify their understaffing.

Not sure how this relates to hang baggage but I personally stick to the rules as far as I am aware.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:56 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
They are scanning your boarding card and taking information they are not entitled to......
What a load of bollox. Exactly why are they not entitled to it? If you use the airport facilities you play by their rules. If HAL or CAA or whoever require it as part of monitoring to improve service then so be it. Life is too short to get all pompous.

.......they are potentially violating this - because you don't know what they are doing with this information after your boarding pass has been scanned.
Maybe it is simply used for timing purposes from entering security to arriving at the scanner to give HAL advance warning when the time taken is starting to increase? To be able to better predict pax flows through security and deploy more resources accordingly? Gosh, how incredibly sinister is that, am petrified
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
What a load of bollox. Exactly why are they not entitled to it? If you use the airport facilities you play by their rules. If HAL or CAA or whoever require it as part of monitoring to improve service then so be it. Life is too short to get all pompous.

Maybe it is simply used for timing purposes from entering security to arriving at the scanner to give HAL advance warning when the time taken is starting to increase? To be able to better predict pax flows through security and deploy more resources accordingly? Gosh, how incredibly sinister is that, am petrified
You may be right. I suspect not as HAL had assigned a staff member to make sure every card was scanned, while only two staff members were on duty on that lane.

Anyway to try and minimize my pomposity I did end up handing over my boarding scan for the second scan. But in an petulant display of windbaggery I did lodge a complaint with the CAA.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH
I think most people who are anti the 2nd scan haven't got any worries about data protection issues. The biggest objection is the 2nd scan is meant to be used to see how long the average person waits in line. However, they often get you to scan it when there are still people in front of you waiting to use the trays and countless others queuing to go through the body scanner/detector - thus fudging the wait times.

Now if they had the 2nd boarding pass scanner as soon as you went through the body scanner, think that would give the most accurate timing.

As for made up rules - the lady in WH Smith T5 who told me I couldn't buy a pack of chewing gum without scanning my boarding pass.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:23 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by silonic
......they often get you to scan it when there are still people in front of you waiting to use the trays and countless others queuing to go through the body scanner/detector - thus fudging the wait times.
But that is still a valid measurement though because it is between two fixed points in the security queing system and the same for every pax. There may be a small variance if one pax scans when there is no-one in between themselves and the scanner trays and a few minutes later, another pax scans when there are 3 people ahead.

But overall these things will tend to average out and it is still a valid measurement because it is no doubt intended to be used as an indication of current queing time - as opposed to an absolute and precise measurement.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
But that is still a valid measurement though because it is between two fixed points in the security queing system and the same for every pax. There may be a small variance if one pax scans when there is no-one in between themselves and the scanner trays and a few minutes later, another pax scans when there are 3 people ahead.

But overall these things will tend to average out and it is still a valid measurement because it is no doubt intended to be used as an indication of current queing time - as opposed to an absolute and precise measurement.

As I said you may be right but I believe LHR is one of the worst airports to clear security through outside North America. I am not sure if anyone would agree?

I personally feel this is in large part due to insufficient staffing.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
My objection to the 2nd scan is nothing to do with data protection or my personal info. After all, Tesco know more about me than any government department thanks to their Clubcard scheme.
I object to the flagrant manipulation of the data as I'm only ever asked to scan the boarding pass the second time when the queue is short. Recently Fasttrack tailed back to the first scanning gate, and I queued for over 30 minutes. I tried to scan my boarding pass at the second scan but was told it wasn't working. When I asked why, I was told the keep moving because I was holding up the line.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Had an EMPTY 250ml water bottle taken off me at Warsaw - did think about telling them about the multi-millilitre liquid contents of my bladder, but my Polish isn't that good!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by BOH
Not so sure about that, these timings are submitted to the CAA as the recorded queuing times for security. Hence the suspicions about data manipulation.

The point in relation to this thread is that when operatives tell pax that it is a legal requirement to do the 2nd scan, and/or that they will not be allowed to fly if they don't, they are making it up (whether deliberately or through ignorance).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
At MIA this evening. TSA told me you can only step up to the boarding pass check (once you have finished queuing just before the scanners) together if you have a child traveling with you. If you are married and traveling with no children (or part of the same group but with no children) you have to step forward one at a time to have your boarding pass checked. Never happened at MIA, MCO, TPA, JFK, EWR or BOS before.

Also told that you could not decline to go through the nude-o-scope.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by silonic
As for made up rules - the lady in WH Smith T5 who told me I couldn't buy a pack of chewing gum without scanning my boarding pass.
Is this made up? I thought everything purchased post security requires boarding pass?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
And me. I want one of these things.

This thing looks about as moronic as a selfie stick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.