Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are BA really starting to suck all of the joy out of flying lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me or are BA really starting to suck all of the joy out of flying lately?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
It's intersting that NZ are still so highly regarded despite the seat. It kind of puts a mockery to the claims that the seat is the issue with BA.

I'm more than happy with the seat and would prefer to see improvements on the soft product side over the seat
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think that the OP's post has hit a nerve. More than just disappointment at any part of the hard or soft product I often get the feeling that BA management almost dislike their passengers in the same vein as Ryanair feels about the crowds on their flying buses.

I was chatting to a friend who is one of BA's top 100 or so individual customers about the Avios devaluation and his response was "Of course they've done this - now we're coming out of recession BA are able to be complete .......s to their passengers again".

It's a shame really, as when you're spending tens of thousands of pounds per year, years on end with one company which takes you home and provides somewhere to sleep for a night should be one where you develop a warm feeling with.
Your friend has hit the nail exactly on the head ! ^
Add the estarnged condition of Labour vs. Management....you get what you are getting.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
It's intersting that NZ are still so highly regarded despite the seat. It kind of puts a mockery to the claims that the seat is the issue with BA.
What's wrong with NZ's J seats? I've never heard much critism of them. It's basically the same pod style as Virgin and Air Canada (but better). Has more length than CW and everyone has aisle access.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've found J class consists of the same routine on every airline I've flown on. You board with or without any personal welcome (I couldn't care less whether it happens or not) you go and find your seat and get offered a pre departure drink, take off, get served the post departure drink with nibbles, followed by the meal service which can vary from not so nice to adequate, the crew either chat or don't chat....in my experience most of them don't which is fair enough as they're not there to keep me entertained. The lights get dimmed and you're encouraged to bed down for the night so the crew can rest. The lights eventually go on and breakfast is served to those who want it....most passengers can't really be bothered as they feel tired and those who do just pick at it. You land and get off.

I don't expect to be made to feel special nor do I expect a dining experience equivalent to that of a restaurant. Neither do I expect to have the same sleeping experience that I get in any Travelodge bed. Apart from travelling a great distance quickly and safely for not a lot of money compared to other public transport what is it I'm missing?
Something not in sync here .

Normally people extoll the finer points , details, "small thing" that set apart airline experiences. A broad description like your applies to any thing. Get in teh Rolls or a Vauxhall, start it, put it in gear and go from A to B.

I have now tried several Gulf Carriers and CX SQ etc. Superior products. Leaves most of the legacy carriers from other nations far behind. I am speaking of short and Long hauls.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Goodness, if my flying was this turgid I'd have stopped yonks ago!

No, I've still got the buzz, I've got flights on BA in the next few days to Basle, Lisbon, London, Gibraltar, Hannover and Marseille, and I'm looking forward to each and every one of these flights - what a great selection of places to visit. Travel, ladies and gentlemen: it's all in the mind!
This is certainly the most upbeat and enjoyable post I've read on here in a few weeks. I think you summed the whole situation up rather well with your last sentence c-w-s!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GSTBK
This is certainly the most upbeat and enjoyable post I've read on here in a few weeks. I think you summed the whole situation up rather well with your last sentence c-w-s!
+ 1
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS

I have now tried several Gulf Carriers and CX SQ etc. Superior products. Leaves most of the legacy carriers from other nations far behind. I am speaking of short and Long hauls.
CX and SQ have had a superior product for the last 30+ years.

It's not something new!!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ukgooner
The most vocal whingers on here seem to be:
1) Occasional luxury fliers (either paid or through Avios).
2) Those who value luxury over price and time
3) Those based in the UK regions who have more choice of 1 stop opportunities, and have felt disenfranchised by BA since the demise of BA Connect
4) BMI refugees who probably chose BMI on the basis of anyone but BA

This collective can come together regularly and in agreement that BA is rubbish, in some mutual yearning for perceived times-past, but which never really existed.

Sure, there is a lot more choice and in certain examples I would agree that some airlines do some things better.

BUT if the only thing keeping these people loyal to BA was the loyalty scheme in spite of their poor perceptions of what BA offers, its actually fantastic if the loyalty scheme downgrade is the final nail in the coffin. BA lose some low value customers that are increasingly hard to please; these people are free to travel with the airlines they actually want; and we on this forum should hopefully see less whinging threads, and return to the more practical business of getting the best out of our travel with BA.
Frankly, the most pathetic anti competitive whine I have heard in a long time
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:16 pm

duplicate
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's a shame really, as when you're spending tens of thousands of pounds per year, years on end with one company which takes you home and provides somewhere to sleep for a night should be one where you develop a warm feeling with.
and that's exactly how and why you are taken advantage of. Loyalty has no rewards.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've found J class consists of the same routine on every airline I've flown on. You board with or without any personal welcome (I couldn't care less whether it happens or not) you go and find your seat and get offered a pre departure drink, take off, get served the post departure drink with nibbles, followed by the meal service which can vary from not so nice to adequate, the crew either chat or don't chat....in my experience most of them don't which is fair enough as they're not there to keep me entertained. The lights get dimmed and you're encouraged to bed down for the night so the crew can rest. The lights eventually go on and breakfast is served to those who want it....most passengers can't really be bothered as they feel tired and those who do just pick at it. You land and get off.

I don't expect to be made to feel special nor do I expect a dining experience equivalent to that of a restaurant. Neither do I expect to have the same sleeping experience that I get in any Travelodge bed. Apart from travelling a great distance quickly and safely for not a lot of money compared to other public transport what is it I'm missing?
Apart from the pre departure drink that description sounds like most lh Y flights I've taken. So why do you pay for J? The bed, and that's it? I suggest that you're in the minority unless you're either points rich or cash rich.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
and that's exactly how and why you are taken advantage of. Loyalty has no rewards.
No, but unless you're Ayn Rand it can be nice to have a positive disposition towards the main organisations that you interact with in your day to day life.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Feb 19, 2015 at 6:16 pm
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Apart from the pre departure drink that description sounds like most lh Y flights I've taken. So why do you pay for J? The bed, and that's it? I suggest that you're in the minority unless you're either points rich or cash rich.
On a long journey, being comfotrable is the most important element for me; I tend to not eat onboard ( I prefer to eat before / after travelling ) and when I do probably just have a sandwich ; a pre-departure orange juice and maybe some orange juice / water / pot of tea are not what I value the product on when in 1st/business
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What if you do a 13hour flight? That's a long time to go without eating...

My flight tomorrow is the one I always struggle with - the early one out from JFK. Will have breakfast in the lounge, but feel compelled to eat on the plane as well because it will be landing at about 8pm and home about 10pm when I don't really want to be eating
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
What if you do a 13hour flight? That's a long time to go without eating...

My flight tomorrow is the one I always struggle with - the early one out from JFK. Will have breakfast in the lounge, but feel compelled to eat on the plane as well because it will be landing at about 8pm and home about 10pm when I don't really want to be eating
Its rare that I cannot eat before travelling and I find that buying a sandwich or 2 and taking it with me gives me something that I tend to find more appealing than airline food. One exception is soup which I find tends to be ok on an aeroplane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.